Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
ISO Pediatric neuropsychologist eval (NY)

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 6:58 pm
We had a developmental pediatrician evaluate my preschooler a few months ago and said that their quirks are just personality and not an issue, but after more time both I and the teachers still feel that something is "off" that we can't put our finger on and really needs a more comprehensive evaluation. Not just a diagnosis, like it seemed the developmental pediatrician just wanted to pick a category like autism or ADHD and if it wasn't that then everything's fine. Everything's not fine but we can't figure out what. Maybe some kind of learning disability but school functioning is good enough that there is no point in even trying through the board of ed.

It would be great if someone takes insurance for this but I'm not counting on it because I don't expect it.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 7:31 pm
I have an appointment scheduled with Dr. Harris Huberman .

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 7:40 pm
He's a developmental pediatrician. I want a neuropsychologist this time.

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 7:42 pm
So do you want a full assessment? A neuropsychologist can do that. Oops just realized that's what you want. That is a good idea.

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 7:45 pm
I had experience with one and it's a good idea if you think something is there and want to get to the bottom of this

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 7:47 pm
sourstix wrote:
I had experience with one and it's a good idea if you think something is there and want to get to the bottom of this

So do you have someone to recommend?

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 8:48 pm
I could tell who I used but it's better you speak to them as they can fit you with the right person your looking for. It's not like all of them cater to the same stuff exactly. Each one of them has different qualifications that you might need different things. See what I mean?

If you want you can pm me.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 9:20 pm
I came on here looking for recommendations.
Eventually I called relief.
I called 5 different neuropsychologists and was most impressed with one. - Dr Mandelman pf Cornell. But as amother above noted. It depends on each case. And each child's needs

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 10:25 pm
I am following this. I am also looking for a neuropsychologist, but Yiddish speaking.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 11:18 pm
How can you tell what kind is for your needs when you have no idea what the need is about? I'm stumped and it's not for lack of insight. Teacher is experienced and has seen all kinds of diagnoses and she is stumped too. DC is bright, sociable, aware, and doing more or less everything as expected, except when not. Very inconsistent. Not like a missing skill set per se. Just something "off." What kind of doctor or psychologist specializes in "something off?"

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 11:28 pm
amother wrote:
How can you tell what kind is for your needs when you have no idea what the need is about? I'm stumped and it's not for lack of insight. Teacher is experienced and has seen all kinds of diagnoses and she is stumped too. DC is bright, sociable, aware, and doing more or less everything as expected, except when not. Very inconsistent. Not like a missing skill set per se. Just something "off." What kind of doctor or psychologist specializes in "something off?"

delete

5*Mom

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:12 am
This doesn't make sense. Find a pediatric neuropsychologist who "specializes" in thorough neuro-psychological evaluations. Do not go to one who actually specializes. That would defeat the point of the eval.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:09 am
amother wrote:

I called each doctor and on the phone asked if they could help.
Describe your child. Give examples.
I did exactly this and of all the neuropsychologists I spoke to he got it right away.
He "chapped" the behaviors and what I was describing as "off" too.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:28 am
Op can you explain to Ricky Schwartz what you are noticing? If there's a teacher that understands, speak to her and tell her to describe. Then write it down and repeat that to Ricky from relief

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:31 am
Op Ricky Schwartz from relief would be able to help you. Also don't forget that your chi,d is young and when my ds was that age dh was saying he thinks my ds has something but wasn't significant enough to put his finger on it. Anyway fast forward dh has ADHD and as adult has learned how to manage it. He was able to describe it as he was getting older then when. He got into. Real trouble in school and it was beginning to get very hard to ignore I knew I needed help. Bh this child has has a lot of success bec I did an assessment. But I went for an assessment to the one I knew evaluates for ADHD. I was pretty sure it was that by the time ds was getting an evaluation.

Op it could be your seeing signs of something as he gets older you will notice them more and more as they get o.der it just. Develops more and it stares you in the face much more.

What I'm saying is that now it's mild if it's something that needs help it won't just go away. You will be able to describe it with more clarity. That's what a full assessment is. To find out what is the problem so you don't have to wait and no one has to suffer needlessly and so you could help faster.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:53 am
What's the difference between a neuropsychologist (example dr mandelman) a developmental pediatrician (dr huberman) and a clinical child psychologist?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 12:11 pm
I had a good experience with dr Mandelman

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 1:36 pm
Dr malky zacharowitz is excellent for a thorough and comprehensive eval

bumpkin2

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:46 pm
Do any of these doctors recommended above take insurance? I read under another thread that some doctors can be in the $3k range just to start...

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:09 pm
I had a great experience with Dr. Abba Cargan.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers