Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What do you make of this?
1  2  Next

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 8:45 pm
We are renting out our new basement apartment. Someone called me today and asked if they could take another look at it as they are most likely interested in it. I said sure, and we made up to meet at 5. (I don't live in the house yet-it's almost finished being built. This woman knows that I don't live there yet.)
5:15, no one has shown up yet. I call her and say, "are you still coming?" She says, "oh, yea." I said, "we made up to meet at 5, didn't we?" She said, "yea but you know how these things work... Anyway, we're not far away, we'll come over now."
I wait another 15 minutes, then I text her ""sorry I can't wait anymore."
She says "ok maybe we'll meet up tomorrow, we'll be in touch."
I didn't respond.

1. We are obviously no longer interested in these prospective tenants, because this seems at best irresponsible, at worst, dishonest. I don't want to have to wait for rent to be paid because, "you know how these things go!"

2. Do you think maybe they were no longer interested in the apt but felt bad to tell me? I would much rather they be honest than play shtick, and cause me to drive to the apartment and then wait around for half an hour for a no show...

3. She didn't even apologize in her text! Is that odd?

What do you make of this? The first time they came to see the apt they were punctual and made a nice impression but now...

skee

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 9:02 pm
I would also be annoyed by that, but I think there are some people who are just clueless about that sort of thing. They operate on a fluid sort of schedule and are spontaneous and they don't grasp that other people actually plan their schedule in a more structured way and may be seriously inconvenienced by a situation like the one you described. Maybe she thought you were going to be over at the house anyway doing other things and did not realize you were coming only for her.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 9:04 pm
skee wrote:
I would also be annoyed by that, but I think there are some people who are just clueless about that sort of thing. They operate on a fluid sort of schedule and are spontaneous and they don't grasp that other people actually plan their schedule in a more structured way and may be seriously inconvenienced by a situation like the one you described. Maybe she thought you were going to be over at the house anyway doing other things and did not realize you were coming only for her.

I'm not annoyed, just flabbergasted.
Am I right in thinking I wouldn't want them as tenants, because for all I know they'll be late with rent etc?

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 9:08 pm
I wouldn't take them.
They don't seem to be considerate or polite at all.

skee

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 9:12 pm
I see why you would be concerned but I also think it is hard to know. It's possible if you spelled out clearly and had in writing in the lease that rent must absolutely be paid on the first of the month and consequences if not, that they would take that seriously. If you had spelled out when making plans that you were coming over especially for her and that you needed to be finished by a certain time (say 5:30) and she did this, then I would be mkre concerned. She might just not have grasped what the situation was on your end.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 10:56 pm
You can tell a lot about prospective tenants from the way they interact when arranging to view the apartment. This would be a clear no for me.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 10:59 pm
I would definitely not take them as tenants. Don't need ongoing agmas nefesh.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:42 am
oliveoil wrote:
You can tell a lot about prospective tenants from the way they interact when arranging to view the apartment. This would be a clear no for me.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I'm
Not overreacting.

If she calls me today, do I ignore her phone call, answer but say the apartment is not available, or tell her the real reason why were no longer interested ("after what happened yesterday, we really don't feel like you'd be a good match for our apartment.")?

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:23 am
I wouldn't give her a reason. I'd just say I'm so sorry it's no longer available. It isn't. Not for her anyway.

Simple1

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:29 am
Mistakes happen and people could forget.

But I'd be more bothered by the fact that she brushed it off instead of apologizing.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:39 am
People are nasty... BTDT... Do tell them exactly.

cm

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:44 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn't give her a reason. I'd just say I'm so sorry it's no longer available. It isn't. Not for her anyway.

I agree - giving a reason opens it up for debate.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 9:00 am
Simple1 wrote:
Mistakes happen and people could forget.

But I'd be more bothered by the fact that she brushed it off instead of apologizing.

She did not seem to have forgotten! She said, "yea we made up 5, but you know how these things work..." She did not say she forgot. And she didn't apologize in her phone call or text...

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 1:04 pm
This could be cultural. In some cultures, time seems to be fungible. Chassunahs are called for 6:30 and everyone knows not to show up for at least an hour after. I have a friend that hasn't even started getting ready by whatever time we were supposed to meet. I have another friend who I just double how long she tells me it will take her to show up. Some people are chronically late.

They could very well be excellent tenants. But if you can't deal with this, then they are not for you.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:13 pm
Squishy wrote:
This could be cultural. In some cultures, time seems to be fungible. Chassunahs are called for 6:30 and everyone knows not to show up for at least an hour after. I have a friend that hasn't even started getting ready by whatever time we were supposed to meet. I have another friend who I just double how long she tells me it will take her to show up. Some people are chronically late.

They could very well be excellent tenants. But if you can't deal with this, then they are not for you.

Its very different being late for a wedding or being late for a specified appointment with someone.

I would not take this person as a tenant. Not only was she late, her response makes it sound as if she thinks it is normal to be this late.

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:49 pm
Raisin wrote:
Its very different being late for a wedding or being late for a specified appointment with someone.

I would not take this person as a tenant. Not only was she late, her response makes it sound as if she thinks it is normal to be this late.

That is the case with some people. Specific appointments are not fixed. They show up to work late. My boss used to show up late as did many of the workers. It frustrated his customers and suppliers. I used to show up and look pointedly at my watch when my subordinates strolled in late. I told one person that she was supposed to show up on time. She said that no one told her to. I told her that I didn't tell her to wear her shoes to work that day either.

Being on time is not a cultural norm for some people.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 3:25 pm
Garden Vareity Yeshivishe Drei Kopps.... I meet a dozen of them a day..
You invite them for Shabbos, they don't show up and then say oh, I forgot I had a Kiddush

My husb makes up to learn with this "shtarky guy". Two days he comes an hour late, the next day.. We have a different derech halimud. Grada I want to takeh try a different chavrusa..

Thats what happen when you have a culture that doesn't hold people accountable for basic responsibilties, and puts a hundred times more emphasis on black hats, women's hosiery, internet bans, and acting weird around the other gender over decency and menslikeit...

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
Garden Vareity Yeshivishe Drei Kopps.... I meet a dozen of them a day..
You invite them for Shabbos, they don't show up and then say oh, I forgot I had a Kiddush

My husb makes up to learn with this "shtarky guy". Two days he comes an hour late, the next day.. We have a different derech halimud. Grada I want to takeh try a different chavrusa..

Thats what happen when you have a culture that doesn't hold people accountable for basic responsibilties, and puts a hundred times more emphasis on black hats, women's hosiery, internet bans, and acting weird around the other gender over decency and menslikeit...

Oy....

LOL

pause

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't say it's no longer available while you're still actively looking for a tenant. You don't want her going around saying it's not available or finding out later it was when it wasn't. I would just ignore her call, just like she ignored your meeting.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:39 pm
Ignore the call but if you happen to pick up give a vague answer like it's not available but I don't get into a specific lie by saying it's no longer available. Also, hang up very quickly and don't give her time to ask what you mean by not available.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette