Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Parenting fail?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:18 pm
My 7-yr old son has been asking me lately how old I am. It's really no big deal but I think my parents were vague about their ages when we were young and so I just kept pushing him off. He didn't give up so recently I told him that I'm about 25 (I'm really almost 10 years older than that). So today he asked me how many years ago I got married (and then proceeded to do the math which starts getting a bit crazy), and how old is my brother (who he thought was younger than me but somehow managed to be older because I told him his REAL age).

Basically lying was probably a mistake.

Now my husband just told me that he told our son that I didn't tell him my real age. I don't know what my son is thinking now but of course I don't want him to feel that I lie to him or that he can't trust me!

How can I clean this up without making a bigger mess?

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:22 pm
Why not just tell him the truth? "When I was growing up, adults didn't usually tell children their real ages. I guess I am just used to that, though now many people feel differently. I'm sorry for misleading you - I think it's not a big deal for kids to know their parents' ages after all. I'm 35 - truthfully."

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:27 pm
What seeker said.

I don't get what the big deal about age is, though my grandparents were like that. My grandfather used to tell us he was eleventy-seven.....

My girls made me a lovely surprise last year for my 40th birthday...so I'm glad they knew it was coming!

My mother had a good friend who used to tell her little son that she was 21+. He went to kindergarten and asked his Morah her age, and she told him she was 21+. So he told her "my Mommy is also 21+, but she's a bit more + than you are....."

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 3:12 pm
Thanks seeker and Chayalle.
Of course it's always best to be honest and that approach makes perfect sense to rectify this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children