Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Cleaning lady online?

iamawesome

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 2:45 pm
I desperately need cleaning help but have had no luck over the last couple of months. I live in Jackson, NJ and was wondering if anyone has hired cleaning help through care.com or housekeeper.com? If you did how does it work and what was your experience? Thanks!

mommy_r

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 4:40 pm
I live in Lakewood and I actually did hire someone on care.com (who lives in Jackson) and am quite happy with her. I would recommend her to you but by now (a few weeks later) I think she is fully booked.... We spoke to a bunch of people, had one or two of them come to meet us, and she was by far the most relevant, so I think it is the luck of the draw. Since I'm the first frum person to employ her, I did have to tell her about kashrus, etc. but she's pretty good. Also, while I trust her alone in the house if I have to leave halfway through, I would not trust her with my kids (even though she offers babysitting on care.com).

iamawesome

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:43 pm
How does it work? What is the cost? Can you hire someone for only a few hours a week or do you need a larger commitment? Thanks!

rainbow

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:49 pm
A year ago I stayed over at my sil's home in Poughkeepsie, NY. When I arrived at her home the bathroom was very filthy- her cat was ill and had puked all over. And I noticed she hadn't cleaned the litter box in at least two weeks. The place stank.

I signed up for care.com and hired a woman who did a great job cleaning up that smelly mess.

rainbow

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:51 pm
Remember to cancel membership if you're happy with your cleaning person and no longer want to look for another one on the site. Otherwise you'll be billed every month, if my memory serves me well.

iamawesome

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:27 pm
Thanks for the info! How much does membership cost? And how much does the actual cleaning service cost? How does the hiring process work?

mommy_r

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 3:54 am
I think it cost about $30 for monthly membership - we found someone within a month so we cancelled after that. You then work out the hours/fee with the person themselves. Our cleaner comes several days a week for a few hours each day. She charges $12 an hour which I pay very happily - she's very fast, thorough, etc. Other cleaners that we looked at wanted closer to $15 an hour.

Hiring process - you can hire two ways, either by posting a job or by contacting ppl who seem relevant. Either way, you can talk on the phone or have them come meet you, ask them to a trial round - whatever works for you. I think care.com will also let you run a background check (maybe for extra $?) - I would do it for the peace of mind it gives.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 4:34 am
mommy_r wrote:
I live in Lakewood and I actually did hire someone on care.com (who lives in Jackson) and am quite happy with her. I would recommend her to you but by now (a few weeks later) I think she is fully booked.... We spoke to a bunch of people, had one or two of them come to meet us, and she was by far the most relevant, so I think it is the luck of the draw. Since I'm the first frum person to employ her, I did have to tell her about kashrus, etc. but she's pretty good. Also, while I trust her alone in the house if I have to leave halfway through, I would not trust her with my kids (even though she offers babysitting on care.com).

I also tried to hire through care.company but the hourly and daily quotes I got were sky high. I'm still looking. I interviewed several people but their prices were out of our league. How did you find for 12/hr? Can you ask her to recommend a friend?

mommy_r

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 7:17 am
I can ask but I doubt she'd have someone - she recently started a cleaning business with her friend and they're cleaning houses for probably a larger fee. She charges me $12 because that's what we agreed on when we started - I'm the first person she worked for so she may not have known that others charged more - but I'm hoping she doesn't go up... IME on care.com no one charged more than $15 though and at least one other person agreed to $12...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics