Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Can I give teachers a check instead of a thank you gift?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 10:21 pm
Or is this viewed as a kind of 'charity' or bribe?

perquacky

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 10:27 pm
Why not a gift card instead? A check seems a little odd. Not like a bribe, but more like payment for the job they're doing.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 10:27 pm
As a teacher, I'd say $$ is the most appreciated gift.

You can give a gift card to Amazon, or a Visa gift card, to make it more like a gift.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 10:35 pm
Op here. I don't love gift cards because I feel like I'm narrowing the recipients spending options.
Is a Visa gift card definitely ok and not potentially offensive?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 10:36 pm
A check is really fine. I often give checks as tips.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. I don't love gift cards because I feel like I'm narrowing the recipients spending options.
Is a Visa gift card definitely ok and not potentially offensive?

I'm confused, are you deciding between cash and a check, or a non-cash gift and a check?

If your goal is to give the most useful gift possible - cash is best. But personally I think, if the goal is to say "thank-you" cash is not appropriate. On this site - this is a minority opinion. (a visa gift card is equivalent to cash).

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 11:08 pm
As a teacher, I too, say, a check {or cash} is the most appreciated gift. Even if I end up using it for groceries....but I usually try to treat myself to something special. Gift cards are not always for things I need, just saying

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 11:14 pm
I give cash or checks. As a teacher, I appreciate them most.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 11:15 pm
I think it's very common to give money instead of a gift. I definitely hear the angle that it's not the same, feels too much like a tip/payment, whatever, but reality is that if you really want to show appreciation then you want it to be something the recipient will appreciate. And you really can't bet that the teacher will appreciate another mug or smelly soaps or even chocolate. But they will always find some use for money. The exception is that if your budget is low but you are inventive enough to put together a nice gift on a low budget, then you will probably feel better doing that.

agreer

Post Sun, Mar 12 2017, 11:40 pm
A check is GREAT!

Cash is king!

I used to teach, and I would MUCH rather prefer 5$ (or any bit of money) to a gift certificate/mug/candy platter etc

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 8:17 am
Also replying as a teacher - go for cheque or visa card option. I didn't love gift cards, because, like you pointed out - I had all this money for gift cards for a bunch of stores I never shopped in. But, it's probably too late so I'm chiming in for fun

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 8:52 am
I like checks or cash because they get more money to the recipient.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:26 am
I'm grateful for any sort of acknowledgment and/or appreciative gesture.
My favorite shalach monos this year was a small cupcake and a can of espresso- it also included a lengthy detailled letter expressing WHY the family is so grateful for her child's positive scholar experience.

The cupcake and espresso have vanished the minute it hit my kitchen counter...
but that beautifully written card... that is in my purse.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 1:58 pm
Op here. Thanks for the input. I think I'll give Visa cards because it seems classier than handing bills in an envelope but achieves the same thing.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 2:15 pm
Last year I gave Visa gift cards because I thought it seemed classier as well. But this year I realized there is a service charge for each one and I'd rather that money go to the teacher! So cash it was this year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics