Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How long do you rear face your child
Previous  1  2

MrsDash

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 10:24 pm
Too many variables here. It depends on the kid, their size, their maturity, their sensitivities, etc. I used to have the view that parents should adhere to the strictest of safety regulations, but I'm finding out that things don't always work out like the perfect cookie cut ways we initially set out for. One child of mine was almost 4, another will be 2 1/2.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:08 pm
ectomorph wrote:
These are all predictive statistics, much like Hilary Clinton was predicted to be the winner by as much as 98% in this election.

I want to see data on injuries or fatalities for rear vs fwd facing between 12-24 months (or the associated sizes. ).
The data exists or should not be difficult to produce. I suspect it is not published because it is statistically insignificant.

I worked as a data analyst.

And Hillary did win the popular vote. That's what the polls predicted.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:33 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Too many variables here. It depends on the kid, their size, their maturity, their sensitivities, etc. I used to have the view that parents should adhere to the strictest of safety regulations, but I'm finding out that things don't always work out like the perfect cookie cut ways we initially set out for. One child of mine was almost 4, another will be 2 1/2.

Yup
I guess I'm feeling guilty turning her around she is already two and isn't small but I normally might leave her rf longer but with an infant also it's very hard for me to get her in rf and having the infant seat next to her. I can't leave the infant seat on the floor in the gutter or even on the sidewalk when I'm buckling her in. If I switch her to ff she can climb into the car seat and I can buckle her from the front.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:38 pm
seeker wrote:

Hashem Yaazor, why not just move your 5.5 to a booster seat?

She wasn't 30 lbs at her last dr visit (August) so I am not sure how big she will be when I get around to it Wink Also this is kind of me being lazy but she knows how to buckle herself well in a car seat, a booster will mean her having to wedge her hand in and reaching to find the stalk. I'm undecided right now what we'll do.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
I change my kids at a year. By 10 months my kids are usually not so happy in the rear facing. I think it has to do with the fact that I have kids that are always getting nauseous and when you are in a car rear facing it will definitely be worse.

I have car sick prone kids too and I don't think RF made one iota of a difference at least at a young age. My husband actually switched around one of my kids earlier than we usually do (around 2.5) because she kept on getting car sick when I would drive a 10 minute carpool. Guess what? First time FF she threw up as well in those 10 minutes! No difference at all in her nausea level.

PSA to anyone reading this:
There are a handful of states now (including PA and NJ) that require RF till 2 BTW and if you travel there, no matter where you are from, you need to abide by those state laws.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 1:29 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
She wasn't 30 lbs at her last dr visit (August) so I am not sure how big she will be when I get around to it Wink Also this is kind of me being lazy but she knows how to buckle herself well in a car seat, a booster will mean her having to wedge her hand in and reaching to find the stalk. I'm undecided right now what we'll do.

Wow that's little! Mine couldn't buckle herself in the car seat but she does buckle herself (with supervision) in the booster. Never realized before just how much time and energy that saves me! Now I'm looking forward to my second one being ready to switch! Though I may need to hold off on her because she tends to fall asleep in the car and I feel more secure with a full car seat for that.

juggling

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 2:10 am
I have a convertible carseat, and it's much harder to get the angle right when rear-facing. Also, the straps coming through below the shoulders (as they are supposed to when the seat faces rear) don't seem to fit properly on my narrow-framed child. I am looking forward to turning her forward, because it doesn't feel like this particular seat model is safest when rear-facing.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 6:52 am
ectomorph wrote:
These are all predictive statistics, much like Hilary Clinton was predicted to be the winner by as much as 98% in this election.

I want to see data on injuries or fatalities for rear vs fwd facing between 12-24 months (or the associated sizes. ).
The data exists or should not be difficult to produce. I suspect it is not published because it is statistically insignificant.

I worked as a data analyst.

I am scientist and also work with data and statistics.

The first article I linked to (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2598309/) has exactly what you are looking for. It is a study of children 0-23 months (and distinguishes between 0-11 months and 12-23 months) and is not predictive, but rather it analyzes data on injuries from actual crashes. To sum up the statistically significant results: Children in FF car seats were more more likely to sustain serious injury than in RF car seats in all types of crashes, and notably children FF were over 5 times more likely to sustain serious injury than RF in side impact crashes. This results of this study were the reason that the AAP changed their policy to recommend RF until age 2 (it had previously been to age 1).

I am not telling anyone what to do - each person should decide for themselves. I just want to make sure that people are aware of what the research shows, so they can make an informed decision for themselves. That's why I feel it's so important to make sure that people know that that there is research to support that RF is safer than FF, based on actual crash data with young children, as well as presenting the scientific reasons as to why this is so as in the other links my original post. If anyone wants to contribute further scientific info to support either position, I'd be happy to look at it so that I can continue to make an informed decision for myself.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics