Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Who is going to work tomorrow in the blizzard?
1  2  Next

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:39 pm
I work in health care and am expected to go in to work tomorrow despite the impending blizzard (or actually I should say especially because of the blizzard, since they need people to come in and help out all around even more so in these situations.)

My husband thinks I'm crazy for going in and is trying to convince me not to, but he just doesn't understand the health care culture of being expected to get there. I'm planning on leaving a couple of hours earlier than usual (at 5am) to leave before the snow starts piling up.

Anyone else??

pesek zman

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
I work in health care and am expected to go in to work tomorrow despite the impending blizzard (or actually I should say especially because of the blizzard, since they need people to come in and help out all around even more so in these situations.)

My husband thinks I'm crazy for going in and is trying to convince me not to, but he just doesn't understand the health care culture of being expected to get there. I'm planning on leaving a couple of hours earlier than usual (at 5am) to leave before the snow starts piling up.

Anyone else??

Me too!! Also in healthcare!

Baby's daycare is open, the subways are running, I'm going in

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:42 pm
I need to work from home and be available for clients even though I'm sick and will have the kids underfoot. Sad

Maya

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:43 pm
pesek zman wrote:

There will be some subway closures. Check with the MTA.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:54 pm
How can a supposed adult-type person not understand the need for healthcare staffing 24/7 regardless of weather conditions?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:56 pm
I work at a job that can be done from home, so I will be working but don't need to be there. Alas somebody needs to be there in the hospitals. I had a preemie in the wintertime. During his NICU stay there were 2 blizzards that closed schools and most workplaces. Of course, the NICU nurses and doctors came in because what choice is there? I am so very grateful to the staff that braved the weather to be there for their tiny patients.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 4:10 pm
I also work in healthcare and used to have to go in regardless of the weather. Thankfully I now work in a private practice that is closed. It is a HUGE relief for me that I don't need to go in. Depending on how far you live I'd consider going tonight and staying local to your job. It's not worth risking your safety but obviously hospitals need to be staffed.

tooperfect

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 4:16 pm
I think some nursing homes/hospitals have staff sleep over the night before to ensure enough staff is on hand when others may not be able to get to work

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 4:20 pm
zaq wrote:
How can a supposed adult-type person not understand the need for healthcare staffing 24/7 regardless of weather conditions?

I understand his point of view because my job, even though in health care, is not a "life or death" job. I'm not a doctor or nurse. But we're still very much expected to be there. Many people from those professions are being mandated to stay and are also being required to sleep over at the hospital to make sure they'll be there. My husband is looking at it as I'm risking my own life to drive in these conditions (I'm also pregnant). But I'm planning to leave early before it gets too bad and then I'll just stay there until the roads are better again.

rd0715

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 4:23 pm
I am a florist and we have a wedding tomorrow. So how can I not go to work . Poor bride is crying the whole day today. I dont want to give her more stress. Praying everything should run ok tomorrow

lora

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 4:27 pm
I'll be going in to work in regular customer service office, 7 min drive from home. I got no choice in the matter and it's upsetting because it's understandable if the office will be closed due to the weather but my boss won't hear of it so at least your going in for a good reason.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 4:40 pm
In NYC, above-ground subway lines are shutting down at 4 am. LIRR and MNR are wait-and-see, but if the storm hits as predicted, I wouldn't expect them to be running, or at least not running well. And buses will be severely curtailed.

I'm not in healthcare, so I anticipate working from home.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 5:18 pm
Maya wrote:
There will be some subway closures. Check with the MTA.

Thanks. Just did. Mine are all below ground and so far so good

shanie5

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 5:58 pm
My place of work had to make a decision earlier today. We are closed tomorrow. Have to call after 5 tomorrow to find out if were working on wednesday.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 6:03 pm
My mil works for board of ed and school is cancelled in NYc so schools are closed.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 7:52 pm
I do SI EI home based. I am going to try to walk to some cases that in the distance of 7 blocks. I have three cases in that span. I am not planning on driving and I had to cancel on may cases. I get paid per time that I am there, so if I don't go I don't get paid.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 8:01 pm
I work in Healthcare and the office is closed tomorrow. We had an extra busy day today though as many patients were rescheduled for today. I will probably have to make up the day off though. I work Monday to Thurs. If I'm off I have to come in on a Friday to make it up.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 8:05 pm
Logging in from home for a little and will be paid as if I put in a whole day:

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 9:12 pm
My boss will decide at 6am tmrw if office is open or not. My kids school already canceled so either way im not going in. If the boss cancles it wont count as a vacation day and if he doesnt cancel it will just be taken from vacation time.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 9:43 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Actually they just announced all mass transit stopping at 4am
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics