Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Why doesn't everyone hate changing clocks?
1  2  Next

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:20 am
I don't get it. Why is this practice still ongoing? Countless studies have shown no benefits and a rise in fatalities after each time change. Time should be one of the things we hold sacred and don't mess with. Our bodies have fine-tuned biological clocks that can't just be moved back and forward as easily as we adjust our clocks. Stressing our bodies with time changes probably contributes to many chronic health issues like obesity. But despite very few to zero benefits and many disadvantages we just keep doing it! Why?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:29 am
It's a good question. I personally like when they change the clock because I like more daylight hours. My question is, why don't we just keep it the way that has more daylight hours all year long? Why do we need to switch it back?

octopus

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:32 am
I hate the switch, too. Honestly, I automatically wake up earlier when the sun shines into my window. Meaning, I have been waking up at 6:00 instead of 7:00 because the sun was shining through my window. I feel that G-d gave us a circadian rhythm, and the body knows when it is time to wake up. Beats me why they have to change the clock every year. Aren't there places that abolished it?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:40 am
I hate the switch too and despise daylight savings time.
Nothing will happen if the sun goes down at 7pm instead of 8pm in the summer.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:41 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
It's a good question. I personally like when they change the clock because I like more daylight hours. My question is, why don't we just keep it the way that has more daylight hours all year long? Why do we need to switch it back?

They actually tried it close to 40 years ago. It was a disaster. My mom said she was putting the kids on the school bus each morning in the dark.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:43 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

The problem is that if we keep DST all year long we end up with the sun rising very late in the winter so even people waking at a normal time like 7/8 are up before the sun.

But you know what, I don't care. Let's pick one and stick to it. Everyone else will adjust - either we'll adjust to shorter summer nights or we'll adjust to dark winter mornings. The switching back and forth is what makes me crazy. Especially since right now we're on savings time 8 months out of the year. This whole switcharoo is just for 4 months. The whole thing is a joke at this point. Let's switch to it full time and done. Personally I actually prefer standard time all year round. My biological clock (and my kids' as well) don't seem to do well on daylight savings. It takes us a lot longer to get used to daylight savings than standard time. But I wish we could just pick one.

Meanwhile I will feel sorry for my 6yo DD, who wakes up every morning at 6:45 without an alarm clock and is ready for her bus at 7:45. Except now she needs to get used to waking up at 5:45 instead.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:46 am
ra_mom wrote:
They actually tried it close to 40 years ago. It was a disaster. My mom said she was putting the kids on the school bus each morning in the dark.

That is an interesting thing to imagine.

I still think I would prefer that though. I take my kids off the bus in the dark. It's so dreary.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:46 am
ra_mom wrote:
I hate the switch too and despise daylight savings time.
Nothing will happen if the sun goes down at 7pm instead of 8pm in the summer.

I agree! Stupid consumerist lobbies convincing everyone that we can't live without late-night summer BBQs.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 9:49 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
That is an interesting thing to imagine.

I still think I would prefer that though. I take my kids off the bus in the dark. It's so dreary.

You'd really be able to pull yourself and your kids out of bed in dark of the night? To be ready for buses? 😜😆

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:01 am
ra_mom wrote:
You'd really be able to pull yourself and your kids out of bed in dark of the night? To be ready for buses? 😜😆

Even with the current system, in the winter the sun rose after 7. Sunrise was about 7:15/7:20 and since we needed to be out of the house by 7:35, we had to get ready in the dark anyway.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:03 am
ra_mom wrote:

I wake up in the dark anyway.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:04 am
Where I live, they used to not change the clocks, but lucky me, now they do! Ugh. Anything that takes away my sleep, unless it's my own kids, is on my hit list! Grrr Exploding anger

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:05 am
For one hour, I don't see the devastating effects people mention

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 10:07 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

I'm with you!

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:03 pm
From what I see, everyone DOES hate changing clocks but no one can agree on what's the one time we should stick to. So we're stuck with this. 🙈

kiryat sefer

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:49 pm
When I was in school I hated it. Now that I work and I have to walk home from a scary neighborhood at 5 pm then Id rather it not be dark.

sheifelah

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 1:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Rather everyone should come home in the dark. Rolling Eyes Sun set at 4 pm is ridiculous.

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 1:44 pm
I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the time change!!!!! It is unbelievably annoying, twice a year. I think they should set it back 1/2 hour and stick to it forever. The end.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 1:47 pm
Wow I can't believe that people have such strong feelings about it. I honesty never thought about it in anyway (except loving that I can work a full day on Fridays)

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 1:51 pm
😲 omg op you hit a raw nerve. Just kidding, I hate hate it! No one I know likes it exc put kids cause they love to have more day light. I can't understand this for the love of g-d. Why do we need the change just leave us alone. Gamarnu.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics