Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Ground beef recipe for toddler

lucky14

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:41 am
I have ground beef and want to make a stir-fry kind of thing for my 1 year old. He hardly has any teeth so it has to be mash-able with his gums. Looking for a recipe with no sugar and very little salt.
Anyone know of anything or can tell me what to do/how to make it so it'll come out tasting ok?
veggies I have on hand: broccoli, onion, garlic, green beans (are those a choking hazard even if I cut them up small?), frozen peas, carrots and zucchini.

OR can anyone think up a different recipe that'd be good to make for him with the ground meat (preferably one with veggies!)?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:41 am
Meatballs

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:44 am
Shepherds pie.
Sauté the veggies till soft. Brown the meat. Mix it all with tomato sauce. Pour into a pan and top with mashed potatoes. Brush with oil and bone till a little browned.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:46 am
Mini burgers

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:47 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Meatballs
yup. My 2 year old loves meat cookies and chicken cookies (shnitzel)

lucky14

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
Shepherds pie.
Sauté the veggies till soft. Brown the meat. Mix it all with tomato sauce. Pour into a pan and top with mashed potatoes. Brush with oil and bone till a little browned.

he gets rashes with tomatoes, would it be good without or do you need them so it isn't too dry/flavorless?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:54 am
I agree with mini burgers. Stir fried ground meat may not be a texture a enjoys.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 11:56 am
lucky14 wrote:
he gets rashes with tomatoes, would it be good without or do you need them so it isn't too dry/flavorless?

So skip the tomato sauce. When baked together like that, they mush together a bit.

lucky14

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:10 pm
for those suggesting mini burgers: how can I add veggies to those (there are very few veggies he likes to eat "plain" but he'll often eat them if they're cooked into something- even if they're visible when cooked in, they don't have to be "hidden")?
Last time I tried making him mini burgers they came out really dry. When I make burgers for my husband I add ketchup and sauteed onions and Worcestershire sauce, but my baby is getting rashes from acidic foods so I can't do that for him.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 12:13 pm
Grate carrot and zuchini and mix it into the meat. I make a turkey burger with zuchini mixed in why not add carrots?

lucky14

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 1:52 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Grate carrot and zuchini and mix it into the meat. I make a turkey burger with zuchini mixed in why not add carrots?

the zucchini will cook as fast as the meat on the grill? also, do you add anything else to the meat other then the veggies?

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 2:05 pm
I say try the stir fry! My baby is one and he loves meat sauce (ground meat cooked into tomato sauce). I give him tiny bits at a time... he LOVES sauce. (I once did an eggplant stir-fry and the eggplant basically "melted"...he loved it.)

I would try to get the veggies really nice and soft. You dont have to use all. I would skip the green beans. I would just cook the carrots and squash till soft, add meat, and maybe some tomato sauce? You can spice it with garlic, parika, a bit of salt, etc. But that's what my baby likes.

I don't give my baby peels of veggies, so I wouldn't give him onions. But again - that's just me.

lucky14

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:14 pm
I did the stir fry and it didn't go over very well Sad I guess it didn't have enough flavor and he didn't like the texture. trying to figure out if there's a way to re-use it and turn it into something else that he may want to eat. maybe the shepards pie idea?
I have to find/think of some kind of sauce I can use for future recipes that has very little sugar and isn't very acidic (not sure such a thing exists).
oh well... next time I'll do the burgers!

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 8:23 pm
You can also do meatloaf, with some peppers and/or zucchini inside it.

lucky14

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 12:11 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
You can also do meatloaf, with some peppers and/or zucchini inside it.

ooh great idea! I forgot about meatloaf since I NEVER make it for my family. I made it once when my baby was first starting to eat "real" food and he really liked it. I'll try it again Smile thanks.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 1:44 pm
Will he eat soup? That's the best way to get my toddler to eat veggies.

lucky14

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:52 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Will he eat soup? That's the best way to get my toddler to eat veggies.

oh yes! Soup and cucumbers (I'm hoping he doesn't get tired of the cucumbers. There were a few other veggies he used to eat but now won't). I make him soup a few times a week. I'm trying to also get meat into his diet for the iron. ooooh but you just gave me an idea! I never thought to make meat soup/stew for him! I make cholent on shabbat sometimes and he loves that, but I never thought to make a meat and veggie soup/stew for him for during the week! great idea. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics