Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do I get her to stay in bed.?
1  2  Next

redstrawberry

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 4:27 pm
She's 2.5 and doesn't go to sleep. What can I do??

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 4:32 pm
Perhaps she's not ready for a bed. What made you decide to move her from the crib?

redstrawberry

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 4:35 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Perhaps she's not ready for a bed. What made you decide to move her from the crib?

My question wasn't specifically bed. I meant that she doesn't want to go sleep. She sleeping on bed for few weeks already but recently she figured out that she can come out and knows how to open handle.

And also she climbs out of crib as well so doesn't help...

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 5:33 pm
I'm in the same situation here- 2 1/2 year old too... The only thing to do is to lie with him until he falls sleep.
It is really terrible turns my house upside down but I see no other alternative.
Open to ideas as well ...

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 5:37 pm
I recently went through this. I tried a few tactics.
First I made a sticker chart, and if toddler slept through the night, he'd get a sticker.
Then I bought a traffic light alarm clock for his dresser, that is red all night and turns green for whatever time I set it. I told toddler "red means you stay in bed (crib), green means you can come out/wake up mommy."
Neither of these tactics worked so well. Toddler loved the stickers and the traffic light, but couldn't stay in bed.
Then one night I told him, I'm standing outside the door. If you leave the room, I'm going to put you right back in bed.
And that's what I did. I didn't speak to him or hug him etc- just calmly placed him back into bed.
I think it took a few nights but now he sleeps beautifully Boruch Hashem!!!! And he loves seeing the traffic light turn green in the morning.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 5:44 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I recently went through this. I tried a few tactics.
First I made a sticker chart, and if toddler slept through the night, he'd get a sticker.
Then I bought a traffic light alarm clock for his dresser, that is red all night and turns green for whatever time I set it. I told toddler "red means you stay in bed (crib), green means you can come out/wake up mommy."
Neither of these tactics worked so well. Toddler loved the stickers and the traffic light, but couldn't stay in bed.
Then one night I told him, I'm standing outside the door. If you leave the room, I'm going to put you right back in bed.
And that's what I did. I didn't speak to him or hug him etc- just calmly placed him back into bed.
I think it took a few nights but now he sleeps beautifully Boruch Hashem!!!! And he loves seeing the traffic light turn green in the morning.

The first two ideas sound too much for 2 1/2 year-old. Probably would've worked in half a year or so. Last idea is definitely worth a try. But my problem is not so much that he comes out of bed, as much as the fact that he screams and cries until someone comes to him . totally disrupt the entire bedtime routine for the rest of the family

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 6:19 pm
Im piggybacking on this thread. My 3 yr old is in a bed and keeps coming out. He's still up now at 9:15. Put him n at 7. Going crazy, what can I do? Charts and bribed don't work. He's crazy stubborn. Can't let him scream cuz we have a tiny apt and he will wake up my 18 minth old who's impossible to get back to sleep once she wakes.

Optione

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 6:27 pm
1mg Melatonin 20 minutes before bedtime.

wazup

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 7:07 am
I'm following as well.
I started putting my toddler in a bed around a week and half ago and she was sleeping just fine until yesterday she figured out that she can get out. now I have to sit with her until she falls asleep for like 45 min and she wakes up in middle of the night around 3 and refuses to go back in her bed.
I tried sitting with her but she will just lay awake and stare at me for hours and I gave up and put her in my bed and she just wanted to play and was singing and talking and climbing all over me.
finally fell asleep in dhs bed at 6. im running on like no sleep for the past few nights...

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 10:23 am
Following too!
Yesterday morning my toddler discovered how to climb out of his crib! Last night he kept coming out and was up til 11! DISASTER! He was so cranky this morning (he woke up and climbed out AGAIN)

funmother

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 10:42 am
Toddler climbing out might not have what to do with the crib but the fact that we just moved clocks forward. Is it possible he's off schedule?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 10:45 am
funmother wrote:
Toddler climbing out might not have what to do with the crib but the fact that we just moved clocks forward. Is it possible he's off schedule?

If you were responding to me, til now he was convinced he would get hurt if he came out (I tried to maintain that impression) but now he discovered it and is excited at the nuance of getting out himself!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 11:07 am
I sat outside his door for almost 2 hours every night and talked to him each time he seemed like he wanted to get out
He was also on a strict schedule and bedtime routine
We did that for a while and now bh he goes in and stays bli Ayin hats!

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 11:13 am
Do not give hormones without seeing a neurologist Twisted Evil

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 11:26 am
I stay in the bedroom of my two and four year old every night till they fall asleep. Definitely not ideal but its the only way they stay in bed.

wazup

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 11:50 am
so I stay with her until she falls asleep. not great but ill deal
what do I do at 3 in the morning when she gets out of bed and comes to my room each time I put her back in??

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 11:55 am
when they come in at 3 am I just let them stay in my bed. Im too tired to deal with it then. I find she'll come three nights in row than stay in her own bed for threeweeks or so. Since its not an every night thing I don't make a big deal about it.

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 11:56 am
This might sound dumb but is she tired when she goes to bed? I don't know if she naps or not but my kids started to give up their nap around that age so they would not fall asleep until close to 9pm.

Sorry this was not clear. At that age they started staying up until 9pm when they took a nap.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 12:37 pm
The only thing that's worked for me is putting her back again and again, consistently and calmly until she gets the message that we just don't come out of bed. No talking, nothing.
If she needs something she can ask nicely from her bed.
Oh and prepping before hand: After dinner we're going to have a bath, then we're going to get in pajamas, we'll read a story, I'll sing to you, and then I'm leaving and you can't come out. If you come out of bed I will just put you back in, etc.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 12:38 pm
Optione wrote:
1mg Melatonin 20 minutes before bedtime.

Just have to say that I tried this when I was desperate to get my toddler to sleep and it kept her up and hyper for like 5-6 hours. My pediatrician does not recommend at all until she 6.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics