Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Women Learning Gemara (threads merged)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you or have you learned Gemara (inside)
Yes, I learned it in school  
 31%  [ 25 ]
Yes, I learned it after school on my own or w/DH  
 15%  [ 12 ]
Yes, I learned it after school in an organized setting  
 7%  [ 6 ]
No, but I'm curious to do so  
 8%  [ 7 ]
No, I have no interest, but it's OK if others do so  
 13%  [ 11 ]
No, women should not learn Gemara at all  
 22%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 79

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 5:44 pm
That's b/c in the olden days, girls learned everything at home.

It's a real brite-kite to say that a girl shouldn't learn Gemara, when she can learn chumash and novi with meforshim perfectly well, and iwth the lure of movies etc etc.

Hannah!

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 6:45 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

mumoo

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:26 pm
dh was relating a shiur from ?? in kiruv (as we say..) about how he deals with women who want to learn gemorah. Depending on who asks: if its a completely unaffiliated, secular Jew, he says, "Sure."

If its a feminist woman who is trying to 'prove a point' he explains that the gemorah is mens main learning, and the rabbis in the gemorah say its not appropriate (or however he explains it). Usually she persists by saying when it was written it was so long ago and much of what the rabbis say is not relevant to today-then he answers, "So if its so outdated why do you want to learn it??"

bandcm

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 9:36 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Tefila wrote:
Uh bandcm her dd is there too Smile
Yes she is Very Happy

Is your daughter there right now? My sister is there now.
Ask your daughter if she knows the really cute English girl! (The artistic one). That´s my sister.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 9:42 am
Actually, she does Wink They're friends!

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 9:46 am
She used to be my helping girl, a few years back!

bandcm

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 3:56 pm
mummy-bh wrote:

Who? Who did? My sister???

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 5:02 am
bandcm wrote:
mummy-bh wrote:

Who? Who did? My sister???

Yep! Your sister!
My kids loved her - she had so much patience for them with homework and loved to read to them. It was about 4-5 years ago.

bandcm

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 7:24 am
Aree you related to jewishmamathebest?

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 5:26 pm
Very Happy How did you guess?! Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:28 pm
Just wondering how common this is. When I say "learned Gemara," I mean inside, from a Gemara, not ma'amarei Chazal which happen to originate from the Gemara, or Ein Ya'akov, or anything like that.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:29 pm
There was another option for "other" but it seems to have disappeared. If "other" please elaborate.

ny21

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:39 pm
in my yeshivah bais yaackov we did not learn gemara in school
we learned chumash navi rashi parshat hashavua ivrit
hashkafa etc, but not gemara
this subject was written about on this site.

Last edited by ny21 on Tue, Sep 18 2007, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

match

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:47 pm
why amother?

I learned Gemora in seminary, once a week. It was interesting, very down-to-earth inyonim. You have to have a more mathematical turn of mind to get it, so it wasn't really my thing.

Newsie

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:53 pm
Just for clarification of my vote- In high school I learned gemara from photocopied sheets when it related to whatever we were learning (whether it was halacha, haskkafa, chumash....) and I learned it formally in a few classes in college

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:56 pm
I would have loooved to learn gemara but the first time I ever learned was in seminary and by then the shiur was on a level that was too high for me so in the end I dropped the course, but I love having my husband talk about what he learned in gemara...

mimivan

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 3:08 pm
I was taught a woman could learn Gemara if she has already mastered the basics and it is not at the chesbon of her other home and children.

I do not know many young married women, however, who are in that situation. I will have to wait until my kids are teenagers. But anyway iy'h I hope Moshiach will come before my kids are teenagers Wink

I learned the Rebbe encouraged women to study chassidus, but I never heard that there was a problem per se with capable women learning Gemara.

red sea

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 6:25 pm
I learned from photocopied sheets in a class in sem. we learned real intertesting stuff like women & tzitzis & women & tefilin. I admit, it felt weird to learn it.

bashinda

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 11:29 pm
We learned briefly for 2 hours a week and here's what I learned from the experience: appreciation for the effort it takes for serious Torah study. You cannot learn gemora 2 hours a week. It was really funny. Many of the same people who wanted to learn were saying "just tell us what the din is" a few classes later. LOL I liked learning it but felt I needed tons of graphs just to keep clear what was going on. (we were learning about the position of the menora IIRC)

mimivan: from what I learned the Rebbe (Lubavitcher for those not in the know) was fine with women learning Gemora. In real life, as you say, almost no women really have the time and if we have the time we're learning Chassidus.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 2:53 am
I learned from photocopied sheets in seminary when they were relevant to what we were learning.

Dh tried to learn with me for a while, but it didn't go well.

I think it's okay for women to learn gemora, but it's not for me. IMHO Women could stand to learn a little gemora, and men could learn a little less--and learn more tanach.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics