Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Warned of antisemitism at work

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 6:32 pm
I work in a medical practice where everyone is seemingly really nice and friendly. Several of the doctors and staff members are Jewish but not Orthodox/religious. I've been friendly with everyone and every seems genuinely nice.

Today a Jewish worker pulled me aside to tell me that there is a lot of anti semitism in the office and I should just be aware. That they joke with me and like me because I'm nice but they really hate Jews.

How would you respond to that or deal with it going forward?

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 6:35 pm
Is this guy religious? If so is he hearing stuff from others? Like what type of antisemitism? If no ones saying anything to you how cud that affect you? What was the point of this person saying it? Is he Jewish? There is so little you can do about such a small piece of information. You need to have someone that actually is just as religious as you and has your interest in mind.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 6:52 pm
This person is not Orthodox I don't know how religious they are. I'm not sure what they mean or what to look out for. For what it's worth I do sense some antisemitism with the way frum patients are treated. Sometimes I understand it--like chassidish men refusing to talk to the medical assistants but sometimes not. To the point that I sometimes wonder if they only hired me to make it seem like they like frum people. They are all very nice to me to my face.

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 7:29 pm
The part about chasidish men is not clear. I don't understand it. So your the only orthodox person working there?

Still no evidence of anything. Or I'm just not understanding. It could be this coworker is looking to start something that wasn't there? Cooking up trouble?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 7:58 pm
If you haven't noticed it clearly on your own, I would ask the person for specific examples to substantiate what she is telling you. Otherwise she just might be angry about something or just a disgruntled employee.

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:05 pm
Of this coworker is antisemitic herself. So watch out for any of her behaviors. Keep an eye out. Don't act out. Be civil. Is your boss orthodox? That might help a drop. Or not. I wouldn't act on this persons words it's not helpful at all. Just keep your eyes and ears open and don't overeact that might be what they want.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:28 pm
I work in a hospital. Was told by a co-worker that the manager is anti semitic and is looking for an excuse to discredit me. I document everything.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:43 pm
sourstix wrote:
The part about chasidish men is not clear. I don't understand it. So your the only orthodox person working there?

Still no evidence of anything. Or I'm just not understanding. It could be this coworker is looking to start something that wasn't there? Cooking up trouble?

Some chassidish men make a big chillul hashem by refusing to look at or talk to female employees. I'm not even talking about the patients letting female employees touch them. I'm referring to even answering simple questions. There is no reason the doctor should be walking into a room without knowing basic information that everyone else gives because the patient refuses to talk to the female staff member. That really sets off the whole staff. I've seen it several times.

This office is located in a place where chassidim make a really bad name for Jews politically so they have good reason to hate them even before they come in and treat the staff like garbage. The thing is, the vast majority of patients have nothing to do with the political issues or reasons they hate Jews (besides the ones that are rude) and many (like me) aren't even chassidish, but to them we're all the same.

I believe what the coworker said. She seems just as nice as the others and I can't imagine a scenario where she'd be starting trouble for the sake of trouble. I just don't know what to look for or do going forward. She specifically mentioned two low level employees, not the bosses. I don't think the bosses are out to get me because I'm religious--they hired me after all and no one forced them too. If they didn't want me they could let me go any time.

Fox

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:47 pm
Keep your eyes open, your mouth closed, and pay attention to your interactions. There's no need for you to take a stand one way or the other. If, over time, you see evidence that your co-worker is correct, then the circumstances will direct what to do next.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics