Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you want pics of women in the frum magazines?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

fs

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:12 am
amother wrote:
No it is not a Prim post. Frum men should not be looking at pictures of women if there is no need for it.

so frum men shouldn't walk the street. There are pictures and then there are pictures.

LisaS

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:13 am
Personally, I don't see the need for pictures of women in ads and filler art. But when an article is written about a women it would really add a lot to have a picture of her. Also, when they have ads for events where a women is speaking, and above the women's name is a picture of her husband, I find that odd. I don't see how a real-life picture of a rebbetzin is a breach of modesty, even for people more careful/sheltered than my family.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:14 am
DrMom wrote:
It is ridiculous to argue that if you don't like "Ami," then "Cosmo" or "Elle" is an adequate substitute.

OTOH, I do agree with the statement: You don't like it, don't purchase those magazines.

These magazines are under financial pressure from various groups to excise women from their pages or face boycotts. You should push back by counter-boycotting. If women refused to buy these publications unless they abandon these misogynistic policies, it would have an impact.

I find it amazing that women pay to be insulted.

Dissatisfaction with this no-women policy seems to be rather common to many (obviously not all) readers of these publications. I am not familiar with these publications; has nobody started a competing magazine which does *not* erase women from their pages?

The market is quite small. I think every magazine needs to cater to the widest possible audience, and they seem to believe that this means no pictures of women. If they had women's pictures, I would buy these magazines. I don't buy them now.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:14 am
happyone wrote:
Who cares? You don't like it, don't purchase those magazines . Walk into Shop rite and you got a large selection of magazines with women splashed all over the cover and inside pages .
OK, I dont read those magazines (mishpacha, bina and the like) but I do not understand how you can compare the regular magazines, like cosmopolitan, women's day or whatever else there may be and mishapacha or any other religious magazine.

The content is extremely different and I for one would love to see religious women figures in the religious based magazines.

Aylat

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:17 am
I signed. Very interesting petition. Is it being spread widely enough to gain a significant response?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:30 am
amother wrote:
You sound verrry right winged......
B"H we have things that accommodate our mentalities and needs. When my mother was a girl she reread several time the book "all for the boss "-which is very well written because of lack of books twenty years later we B"h have too many magazines. And in all honesty I do not want my sons or husband seeing pictures of women that are related to them.
You can let your husband watch movies rated abc .... And come back to me in two years if he is still interested in being with you.
I know a boy (I was married to him) who looked at pictures/movies and I found a condom on his shelf, so I guess you dont have an issue with that either. He mistreated me as well even though he DID look at magazines with photos of women in them. A women to him is something between a human and an animal. So putting women in magazines will definitely solve the issue;)
Amother, your post is all over the place.
First, you are saying that you dont want your husband and sons to see pictures of women that they are related to them? But if they see those women in real life its ok? Not sure I understand or not sure that makes any sense at all.
About husbands watching movies, um, I know many many many many men who watch all kinds of movies and they are BH still interested in their wives. Not always a connection. A man who will cheat or do unmentionable things will do so with or without watching tv.
And your personal example, of your husband (or ex?) that looked at pictures and movies and also having a condom is not connected. Im sorry he mistreated you, but it is not always connected.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:36 am
fs wrote:
so frum men shouldn't walk the street. There are pictures and then there are pictures.

Nobody is saying to be ridiculous. Pictures of women in frum magazines is completely unnecessary and therefore could very well be against halacha.

champion

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:39 am
This thread just goes to show for the most part how badly we need to put the female pictures back into the frum publications.
If any woman can actually think that shop rite garbage is the same as the bina+females...oy oy oy.
If people think that bina+female pictures will cause a guy to run and watch 'abc' rated and then cheat on his wife... oy oy oy.
seriously woman, do you not teach your sons the difference between looking and gazing? The difference between woman who are just plain existing vs. woman who are provocotive? The difference between normal and s-xual?
And forget teaching!!!!!!! Can't our men and boys figure this out on their own????
Well I guess they can't if we never let them practice looking, rather assume that they will be gazing and sanitize the world for them...
They will never learn if we consider all existance of woman to be provocotive and any normal interaction to be s-xual.
sigh.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:43 am
amother wrote:
Nobody is saying to be ridiculous. Pictures of women in frum magazines is completely unnecessary and therefore could very well be against halacha.
What could be wrong, halachically, about having pictures of women such as rebbetzin yungreis, heni machlis, even hillary clinton (when she was running for president) just to name a random few? These women are all extremely tzanua and if someone is going to look at their picture and sin, then, Im sorry, but something is wrong with that man. Nothing wrong with the picture.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 4:03 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What could be wrong, halachically, about having pictures of women such as rebbetzin yungreis, heni machlis, even hillary clinton (when she was running for president) just to name a random few? These women are all extremely tzanua and if someone is going to look at their picture and sin, then, Im sorry, but something is wrong with that man. Nothing wrong with the picture.

So is it only rebbetzins and political people that should have their pictures shown? Pictures of the specific people you mentioned I actually don't think would be a problem. The problem would be where do you draw the line. Do female authors also have to have their pictures posted? Any article about a women has to have her picture there? By having a no women's picture policy they save themselves a lot of insulted or angry people, and also not run into halachic problems.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 4:07 am
amother wrote:
So is it only rebbetzins and political people that should have their pictures shown? Pictures of the specific people you mentioned I actually don't think would be a problem. The problem would be where do you draw the line. Do female authors also have to have their pictures posted? Any article about a women has to have her picture there? By having a no women's picture policy they save themselves a lot of insulted or angry people, and also not run into halachic problems.
Yes, any woman, and they can make sure that the pictures are completely tzanua. What could possbily be wrong with that?
Again, what could be halachically wrong with that?

Debbie

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 4:56 am
I signed it, I don't see a problem with pictures of modesty dressed women and girls in Frum women's magazines.
As a side point,prior to Purim last year the local Heimishe advertisers that come through the door had adverts for kids Purim costumes; one had a picture of several children including a little girl of about 4 years old whose face was obscured, and near her was a boy who looked about 9 wearing a dress!
I admit to not quite understanding the logic.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 4:58 am
Debbie wrote:
I signed it, I don't see a problem with pictures of modesty dressed women and girls in Frum women's magazines.
As a side point,prior to Purim last year the local Heimishe advertisers that come through the door had adverts for kids Purim costumes; one had a picture of several children including a little girl of about 4 years old whose face was obscured, and near her was a boy who looked about 9 wearing a dress!
Because dont you know that 4 year olds are extremely $exual beings? Rolling Eyes

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 4:58 am
Debbie wrote:

The problem is that these magazines are not only for women. They cater to men too.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:01 am
amother wrote:
The problem is that these magazines are not only for women. They cater to men too.
But so what? You seem to be avoiding my question. What is wrong with a nice frum man seeing a picture of a nicely dressed, and completely tzanua, woman, in a magazine?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
But so what? You seem to be avoiding my question. What is wrong with a nice frum man seeing a picture of a nicely dressed, and completely tzanua, woman, in a magazine?

Part of shmiras einayim is not looking at women for no reason. Even tzanua ones.

Debbie

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:06 am
amother wrote:

In my most humble opinion any man who is turned on by a picture of a 4 year old girl ought to be getting treatment!

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:08 am
amother wrote:
Part of shmiras einayim is not looking at women for no reason. Even tzanua ones.

You're not looking for no reason. You're getting a sense of someone. Someone who has value beyond her reproductive organs.

Debbie

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:11 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Because dont you know that 4 year olds are extremely $exual beings? Rolling Eyes

So it would seem!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 5:12 am
amother wrote:
But above you wrote that maybe women in tzanua clothing would be ok. So which is it?
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics