Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Should I stock up on gluten free items from pesach stock

hanna2010

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:02 am
I've recently gone gluten free. I want to take advantage of the gluten free items that are out for pesach and stock up for over the year.
Has anyone done this before?
What are best items to stock?
Do I stock before pesach when all is available?
Do I wait until after for sales?

trixx

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:08 am
I'm not gluten free but my coworker is
Good cakes and cookies are the first to go. Even non Jews wait all year for them. They last forever in the freezer and there's nothing good left after pesach

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:09 am
Don't stock up before Pesach because there are better stuff available all year using kitniyos ingredients. However, you may want to stock up after Pesach when the stuff are available really cheap.
Disclaimer: jmho, although I am not, and never was, glutenfree.

Mom23gs

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:26 am
My celiac kids actually prefer cakes and cookies that can be purchased all throughout the year or that I bake, to the Pesach ones. The only thing I really stock up on now is blintzes, because those are not sold at all year round. I save them for shavuot and sukkoth for dairy meals. If there are other things you are interested in, I would not wait for the sales, nothing really popular lasts in the stores that long.

reality mom

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:26 am
If youre gluten free to be healthy, then avoid the pesach junk which is loaded with refined sugars and other junky ingredients. (These items also get baked starting after Succos, think of all the preservatives! )There is so much gluten free to be found year round using healthier flours (almond, coconut, etc...)vs. potato starch, and less sugar. Although stocking up and freezing some sale items after pesach is something Ill be doing for my gluten free daughter, its not something that shell be eating regularly, just as an occasional treat.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:30 am
I don't stock up much on Pesach products, there's so much gluten free available during the year. The only things I stock up on every year are kishke and gefilte fish, we haven't found good non-Pesach versions of those yet. Otherwise we wait to see what's on sale after Pesach.

I would only stock up on a Pesach item that you really like and if you can't a decent substitute during the year, Pesach products are usually overpriced and not as good as the all year round versions.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:44 am
My friend with celiac stocks up on the GF panko, which he likes a lot.

animeme

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 11:05 am
I reiterate the blintzes. There are some good ones. It's also a good time to grab panko/bread crumbs and soup nuts. A lot depends on what is available in your stores year round. Basically, if you only have access now, then buy now. Your local kosher store may even be willing to order you your own cases along with their orders, and you can just go pick them up.

hanna2010

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 12:45 pm
Thank you for all the replies. What I'm understanding from your responses is to stock some good cakes and cookies for the occasional treat throughout the year. Panko crumbs and blintzes as well.
I am also dairy free so I wonder what kind of blintzes you are referring to and perhaps you can share the brand.

I live in the Midwest and don't have much access to heimeshe gluten free products during the year.
I have been experimenting and trying some from the regular supermarket.
If anyone can reccomend specific brands or products that are good and accessible most of the year then I could maybe order online or whatever throughout the year.
Thanks

Mom23gs

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 12:59 pm
You can order katz's during the year
http://www.katzglutenfree.com

We also like duncan hines mixes, but usually bake our own stuff with gf flour and my usual recipes. On pesach I use potato starch or almond flours and bake my own. No one will touch the store boight stuff.

My kids like cheese blintzes. I have seen apple and potato too. I generally buy whatever brand I find.

Generally I find the best way to be gf is to eat non processed foods...veggies,fruits nuts quinoa animal and fish proteins. Dark chocolate for a treat. We also have a great blender and make fresh sorbet or smoothies with frozen fruits.

hanna2010

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 1:32 pm
Thank you for all the replies. What I'm understanding from your responses is to stock some good cakes and cookies for the occasional treat throughout the year. Panko crumbs and blintzes as well.
I am also dairy free so I wonder what kind of blintzes you are referring to and perhaps you can share the brand.

I live in the Midwest and don't have much access to heimeshe gluten free products during the year.
I have been experimenting and trying some from the regular supermarket.
If anyone can reccomend specific brands or products that are good and accessible most of the year then I could maybe order online or whatever throughout the year.
Thanks

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:03 pm
reality mom wrote:
If youre gluten free to be healthy, then avoid the pesach junk which is loaded with refined sugars and other junky ingredients. (These items also get baked starting after Succos, think of all the preservatives! )There is so much gluten free to be found year round using healthier flours (almond, coconut, etc...)vs. potato starch, and less sugar. Although stocking up and freezing some sale items after pesach is something Ill be doing for my gluten free daughter, its not something that shell be eating regularly, just as an occasional treat.

I hope no one goes on a gluten free diet because they think it's healthier. It is definitely not! Gluten free products, even the all year round products, are loaded with sugar. Only people who are sensitive to gluten should be on a gluten free diet.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:16 pm
If there is a KLP product that you really like, definitely buy more for during the year (once you've tasted it).
But in general a lot of the pesach products are not that great since the only GF flours used are potato and tapioca.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics