Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
What pet to get?
1  2  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:05 pm
My sons therapist thinks it will be good for him to have a pet. I dont know much about pets so I'm not sure what to get... dogs and cats are not allowed in our building. We would like something more interactive then fish. Something he could pet. Whats the most friendly pet that's not a dog or cat? How hard is the upkeep? How much does it cost initially and to upkeep it? Ds is 10 if that matters.

Seas

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:31 pm
Rabbits are fairly low maintenance, and you can find them second hand for dirt cheap - often even free. They're also very cuddly.

Reptiles are almost self-maintaining, and don't smell etc. However they're not cuddly.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:34 pm
Rabits are dirty animals and not low maintenance. Two neighbors had them and gave them away.
What about a hampster or ginnea pig?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:38 pm
Don't get a rabbit. They're really not child friendly.

Get a hamster. They're small, soft to hold and pet, cheap to set up and maintain. Hamsters are fun because you can watch them climbing in tunnels or running on the wheel or in a ball. They are nocturnal so they sleep all day and they're up all night. Perfect for a kid in school.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:39 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Rabits are dirty animals and not low maintenance. Two neighbors had them and gave them away.
What about a hampster or ginnea pig?

Rabbits aren't dirty animals, but they're large animals that don't belong in small cages.

esuss

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 11:31 pm
We have parakeets. They are not cuddly - he can't hug them. But he could train them so he could hold them. They would even "talk" to him. My kids love ours. He will for sure be able to care for them on his own. We had one that would sit on my sons glasses every day when he came home from school.

They cost $25 each and the cage costs in that range as well. We have 2 but you could buy only one if he will want to be more interactive with it.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 11:40 pm
How about a baby bird? 🙂

gp2.0

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:11 am
MrsDash wrote:
How about a baby bird? 🙂

OP probably can't get a hand raised baby bird which really limits how much they'll tolerate being held. I had a lovebird that I got when he was a year or two old and while he liked perching on my shoulder or finger, climbing my arm and nibbling my collar, he didn't enjoy being held or petted - he found it constricting.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:16 am
Another note about birds - they are adorable in looks and behavior but they are very LOUD and very messy!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:24 am
Rabbits can be dirty but they are geared for therapy use like a dog or cat.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:55 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Rabbits aren't dirty animals, but they're large animals that don't belong in small cages.

Rabbits are easily litter box trained so they can free roam indoors, just like a cat. Some breeds are quite small.

I've heard very good things about guinea pigs as therapy animals and very few people are allergic to their hair or dander.

If you are considering a rabbit or a pocket pet like a guinea pig, be sure that there are Vets in your area that will treat these pets.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 8:34 am
I've had lots of pets. The first rule is, don't get anything that might bite, or who have an aversion to being held close, or who will run away from you the minute you put them down.

No hamsters. Yes, you might get that one in a hundred hamster who doesn't bite, but you probably won't. Plus, they run off, most don't really bond well.

And no birds. Yes, we had one hand raised cockatiel (a bird) who was sweet as can be. But that was luck. All other hand-raised birds we've had bite on occasion (this includes lovebirds, parakeets, and other cockatiels). They won't bit unless provoked, but they don't consider a provocation the same way you do. And 10 year olds are not the best for this, regardless of how gentle they are. Birds are also a tremendous amount of upkeep and management, and they are loud and messy. Because they are intelligent, they require a lot of play, letting out of the cage, stimulation, etc.

I strongly recommend a guinea pig. They are fairly self sufficient, friendly, gentle, and cute. They tolerate being held (and many even like it). They are pretty calm and social. Their cages do need regular cleaning and such, but they aren't so high maintenance. I recommend getting a book from the library on how to care for them, and see if it's for you.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 8:47 am
I had rabbits for years. They are anything but low maintenance. Please read this: http://myhouserabbit.com/new-t.....bbit/

Pets are not something to go into lightly. This is a real commitment.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:18 pm
My friend researched for her girls' first pet and decided on rats over hamsters for a variety of reasons. They are healthier - live longer - are friendlier in terms of being more pet-like.

Her girls were very attached to the rats as they would sit and cuddle the rats and it worked out very well.

I don't think birds are that friendly for a kid. I had a parakeet and lovebirds as a child and never seemed to bond with them.

I also had a rabbit and an iguana. Don't ask :-) My mother was a science teacher so she would periodically bring home the class animals and I would beg her to let me keep them.

My parents finally broke down and got me a dog which was what I really wanted and that was the best. The whole family fell in love - even my Bubbe who thought she hated dogs - or hunds as she pronounced it. The dog would spend the day with her in her apartment downstairs while I was in school and she would make him cinnamon toast as an afternoon nosh :-)

ariellabella

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 5:10 pm
Here's a shidduch for you:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....32119

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:13 pm
Hampster (you'll need to spend time at the pet shop and wait until a friendly one approaches you on its own and you can choose that one to buy) or guinea pig.

Choose a male so you don't need to deal with your pet's menses.

Rabbits should not be caged or they'll become depressed and die. They need access to a full room to roam and make dirty which is very hard to provide when you live in a building.

petiteruchy

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:22 pm
since you are in an apartment, I think a guinea pig or rats are your best choice. rabbits really like to be outside, and a lifetime indoors would be a little sad for them. they enjoy a good romp in the grass. if you have access to a yard or balcony and could make them a pen, they love lazing about in the sun.

with guinea pigs, rats and rabbits, you get out what you put in. they're not like dogs that more naturally bond with their owners. if you leave it in a small cage with minimum handling or stimulation, they'll be shy, nonreactive and pretty boring... it can turn into a sad cycle... the owner doesn't handle the pet enough, it doesn't react to human interaction, the owner stops trying to interact, the pet gets left in the cage more and more, and becomes less and less interested in humans.

rats need much larger cages than you'd expect, or regular access to a safe enclosed room. if your son is in his room doing homework for a couple hours every evening, for example, the rat could be let out to explore and play. they need toys and puzzles and ramps and new snacks. some kids would be really into training a rat to do tricks, or building mazes or structures for the rat to explore.

guinea pigs are very very social but much less "busy" minded than rats. their cages can be more boring and smaller, but they love to be cuddled and held and to be around other guineas or people. they have to be socialized young too but are pretty easy going. they love fresh veggies and fruit and have a really adorable little squeaky voice.

if you are busy people and not home much (arriving home from school after 6, busy on weekends, etc) then get two of whatever you decide on. if there is always someone home who will be interested in interacting with the pet, one can be ok, but for the average family with working parents and kids in school, a pair is really the most fair for rats and guineas.

reality mom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:38 pm
ariellabella wrote:
Here's a shidduch for you:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....32119

They have already been spoken for!
However, I've had a hamster before this and the urine stench was unbearable. I couldnt clean the cage often enough. They also run away.
Get guinea pigs! My kids absolutely loved them. They are low maintenance and perfect. Cuddly. And friendly. And not expensive. A cage with two guineas plus some supplies will cost you in the $150 range. They eat fresh veggies daily. My kids loved feeding them.
Go for the guineas!

gp2.0

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 6:49 pm
I've had guinea pigs and they were adorable. But I always felt guilty that their cage was too small - they would run around and around the edges. There was also a definite smell if I wasn't meticulous about changing the litter. But I agree guineas could be a good choice.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 8:13 am
We got a mini lop rabbits. 2 of them.
They are very small, clean, playful & cute.
But they do need space to play.
They have been adorable pets for our boy. We felt he needed a "therapy" pet,
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets