Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/o who are your favorite frum writers and why?
1  2  Next

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:42 am
Its fun to see what everyone likes to read. We obviously all have different tastes. Which writers, when you see their name in the frum publications, do u automatically say, 'Oh, I cant wait to read this!' Which writers do u consistently enjoy and what is about what their writing that you like so much?

pause

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:43 am
Hands down: Etka Gittel Schwartz

I also enjoy Yael Mermelstein.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:46 am
I like Ruchama Schnaidman

and Sara Weiderblank

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:47 am
I love them too, Pause.

also, Peri Berger's books are great. they are about new topics and are written so well.

Stars

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 11:53 am
Dina Neuman , and the new writer for Mishpacha- I dont remember her name (rachel something?)she's writing the new serial in the family first House of Mirrors or something like that.

dr. pepper

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:29 pm
Etka Gitel Schwarz-her writing is breathtaking.
Sara Weiderblank-I have no idea how she juggles writing about such contemporary issues without being sensational

They are hands down my top two writers.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:30 pm
I really enjoy Leah Gebber's writing.

And some of the above mentioned writers. EG Schwartz (a.ka. Scotty) shows up on this site from time to time - I have loved some of her writings (The Grey Lines is my hands-down favorite, and I loved her Chanuka story - it was never so real before.)

qwerty4

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 12:47 pm
Dina Neuman - her back page cracks me up every time
Etka Gittel
Riva Pomerantz

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 1:04 pm
I love etka gittels style. Im petsonally very picky. I like contemporary topics that are dealt with calmly and reasonably. Certain authors whom I used to really like, I stopped enjoying because either 1) there were so many crisises that it felt forced. Cancer, and bullied child, and mental health, and and and. 2) where the problems are oversemplified and everything wraps up neatly. No problem, mommy quits her job and child issues end. Parents speak to rav/therapist and problem cleans up.

I like how egs ends her books hopeful but still "messy" and unsure. There is still family conflict or money worries or whatever. Because thats realistic to me.

cheese cake

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 2:40 pm
Riva Pomerantz
I'm really upset she left Mishpacha
Also like Etka Gittle Schwartz and Yael Mermelstien

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 3:26 pm
I love Lifelines in Mishpacha, its the first thing I turn to every week. Always interesting and well written (Cant remember the writers name, though!)
I like Aviva Werner's articles in Binah, as well as B.Myndi - always a little off the beaten track and well written.
Mordechai shmutter in inyan is great. Gila Arnold. Its very hard to write frum and funny and they both do a great job.
I enjoy all the kids publications too - mishpacha jr, Binah bunch etc and their writers are very clear, concise and light, which makes for enjoyable reading. I don't enjoy reading heavy all the time, I'm one of the people who skip all the depressing health articles and serials, no matter how great the writer is, just doesn't do it for me - I prefer books. Don't like waiting a week to find out what happens.

fiji

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 4:26 pm
Riva pomerantz and meir uri gottessman

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 5:51 pm
Nachman Seltzer

chocolate fondue

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 6:40 pm
Rachel Pomerantz, all except her last two books which were terribly edited.

Henye Meyer - I love her sense of humour!

Etka Gitel is good, but if like to read her stories as a book rather than a serial for a change, although she is way too emotional for me, especially her male characters.

Some authors have one really good book, like M Bassara, who wrote Sun Inside Rain.

Sarah Weiderblank is also very good.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 8:19 pm
I don't really know to many Jewish authors, but Dina Newman writes for the the amiliving and aim, and think she's hilarious and very talented. Turns out I was in high school with her. A couple of grades back.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 8:20 pm
Rachel Pomerantz

Sarah Schapiro

BasMelech120

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 9:58 pm
Ben Shapiro

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 10:02 pm
Chava Rosenberg, she is brilliant in psychology.
Yechiel Spero, Yair Weinstock, Chaim Walder Nachman selzer because they all write short real stories.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 10:33 pm
Yitty Berkovit

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 2:27 am
amother wrote:
Yitty Berkovit

Who is she?

I get excited when I see writings by Sara Wiederblank, Riva Pomerantz, and Dina Neuman.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room