Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Do you let your teething baby cry

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:43 am
My baby is turning one years old soon. I have not had a decent night sleep since she was born. I am extremely sleep deprived and would like to be able to have energy for my family. I tried sleep training her with success (still nursed her a few times a night). Afterwards she was teething for a few weeks so I nursed her again through the night. She gave me a two day break and now keeps waking at night and is kvetchy by day. Ideally I would love to soothe her back to sleep each time but it is getting to be too much. So my question is would you let a baby this age cry alone when they are possibly teething (or maybe her stomache is bothering her from new foods? ). Please do not respond if you are a martyr or against sleep training. Thanks.

Stars

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:01 am
No, if she's in pain she needs you there. Also, I'm very not a tylenol pusher but if a toddler is in obvious pain from teeth coming through that's the place for pain meds. Read the label very carefully.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:02 am
I'm pro sleep training but teething is a completely different thing!

Why don't you try giving Motrin, either before bed or when baby wakes. Motrin is great for teething. If it helps, you know it's teething and you will both sleep. If it doesn't help, you know it's not teething and can proceed with sleep training

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:03 am
Stars wrote:
No, if she's in pain she needs you there. Also, I'm very not a tylenol pusher but if a toddler is in obvious pain from teeth coming through that's the place for pain meds. Read the label very carefully.

She vomited from motrin. I am not sure at all that she is teething and dont want to give her something for two months

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:06 am
pesek zman wrote:
I'm pro sleep training but teething is a completely different thing!

Why don't you try giving Motrin, either before bed or when baby wakes. Motrin is great for teething. If it helps, you know it's teething and you will both sleep. If it doesn't help, you know it's not teething and can proceed with sleep training

Even when I gave her motrin she would wake a few times. It doesn't get rid of the pain completely.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:08 am
Are you sure she's teething? During the week before the tooth erupts, yes she should be coddled. But she very likely could be upset the whole day because she's sleep deprived. At one year a baby doesn't need to wake more than once to nurse.
I think you should sleep train her again and don't nurse her more than once after putting her down for the night. (For my DD, that was 9-10 at that age.)

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:10 am
Are you certain that when she wakes (after Motrin) that she's still in pain?

I ask because you said this is a baby who wakes several tjmes a night to nurse. She is in the habit of waking, and she gets to nurse, so she keeps waking

The method I described worked for me because at baseline my baby was sleeping through the night already.

How often is she waking? Are you nursing each time? Do you want to be nursing her overnight or are you looking to cut out those feeds?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:11 am
Iymnok wrote:
Are you sure she's teething? During the week before the tooth erupts, yes she should be coddled. But she very likely could be upset the whole day because she's sleep deprived. At one year a baby doesn't need to wake more than once to nurse.
I think you should sleep train her again and don't nurse her more than once after putting her down for the night. (For my DD, that was 9-10 at that age.)

I also just changed her schedule bec her old schedule wasn't working for her ...dropped a nap

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:32 am
I sleep trained my first with CIO. My second has had medical problems. I am nervous to CIO with him because if he is in pain I think it is cruel to make him cry.

However, sometimes I go crazy from the lack of sleep. After 3 nights where he wakes up every half hour I need a solid 3 hours to function and not be dropping off to sleep all day. So I put him in one room with the noise machine and go to sleep in a different room.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:41 am
My pediatrician (one that was telling me to let my baby cry) said if the baby is teething or sick you shouldn't let them cry that's not when sleeping train should be implamented.
Hugs op it's hard
Especially when you start getting them on some schedule and have to stop. Hope your baby feels better soon and the two of you get to sleep through the night.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:56 am
ectomorph wrote:
I sleep trained my first with CIO. My second has had medical problems. I am nervous to CIO with him because if he is in pain I think it is cruel to make him cry.

However, sometimes I go crazy from the lack of sleep. After 3 nights where he wakes up every half hour I need a solid 3 hours to function and not be dropping off to sleep all day. So I put him in one room with the noise machine and go to sleep in a different room.

Thanks! It is possible that going on one nap a day is making her sleep worse. I have to figure it all out before she turns two. Sad

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:09 pm
I let my 11 month old cry for 5 minutes at a time. If after five minutes she didn't quiet down then I nurse her again.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:29 am
If a baby has everything needed, including painkillers when teething, sometimes they can cry to unwind and that's ok. Not talking of little babies, or for hours, but there's lots of click bait going around about how it's evil, and it just isn't.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:52 am
I am just so done trying to get her on a schedule. I keep trying and trying and it almost feels like she is out to make my life miserable. I am sleep deprived. I don't get to eat normal meals. I don't get to shower or take care of myself. She is almost a year. Sometimes I really just hate her.

Super Mom

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:40 am
I would check to see if there was any ear infection if it goes on like this. They dribble a lot when teething and are more likely to have problems from this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics