Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Iso food bank that offers fresh fruits and veggies.
1  2  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:24 am
I'm familiar with Masbia- they offer cooked food.

I'm familiar with food pantries- they offer mostly canned and boxed (and often expired) food items.

I'm searching for a food bank that offers fresh fruits and veggies.

Perhaps a fruits/veggies store that gives l'shem mitzvah? Or a wholesaler?

Too many health issues - and fresh fruits and veggies give us the most mileage.

Brooklyn or NYC (or anywhere in between)

Thanks!

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:30 am
Go to tomchei Shabbos. This time of year, they have tons (literally) of fresh food for Pesach. They give away cartons of apples and oranges. They also give away vegetables and of course potatoes.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:32 am
Squishy wrote:
Go to tomchei Shabbos. This time of year, they have tons (literally) of fresh food for Pesach. They give away cartons of apples and oranges. They also give away vegetables and of course potatoes.

Is there a location where I can go and pick up cartons of apples and oranges? Do I need to call ahead?

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:39 am
amother wrote:
Is there a location where I can go and pick up cartons of apples and oranges? Do I need to call ahead?

I live in Monsey. I know the Rabbi that runs the local one here. He would make sure you had meat, fish, and everything for Pesach also. I imagine the Brooklyn ones are also compassionate.

Call ahead so you don't make a wasted trip.

How are you going to transport this? My neighbor picks up a garage full of food.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 10:13 am
Unfortunately Brooklyn Tomchei Shabbos will not help new people that haven't already been on their roster for 15 years. Sad
OP, please call Oneg Shabbos. The guy who runs the Living Torah Museaum runs a small TS type organization.
http://onegshabbos.org/contact-us/

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 10:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
Unfortunately Brooklyn Tomchei Shabbos will not help new people that haven't already been on their roster for 15 years. Sad
OP, please call Oneg Shabbos. The guy who runs the Living Torah Museaum runs a small TS type organization.

His name is rabbi duetch. He gives out food for pesach and runs an amazing oragization.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 10:19 am
If yiu are ever in Lakewood on friday go 14 and forest and take from the display in driveway

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:09 am
You can also contact the BPJCC at 7189726600 and ask them about registration for Pesach packages. It may be too late for that Sad

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
If yiu are ever in Lakewood on friday go 14 and forest and take from the display in driveway

Aww...that's very kind of you. Last time I was in Lakewood was about ten years ago and may be another ten years before I go again. By then I hope to be on my feet again...

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:15 am
amother wrote:
His name is rabbi duetch. He gives out food for pesach and runs an amazing oragization.

He offers fresh fruits and veggies? I sent him an email.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:16 am
Squishy wrote:
I live in Monsey. .

Monsey is too far for me :-(

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:53 am
ra_mom wrote:

Just saw in the Weekly Link that registration for Pesach packages is today from 1-3 at the Liozner Beis Midrash at 1601 41.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 11:56 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Just saw in the Weekly Link that registration for Pesach packages is today from 1-3 at the Liozner Beis Midrash at 1601 41.

Registration for tomche shabbos or oneg shabbos?

Yikes, I'm not home and will be back in the evening :-(

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:39 pm
There is a fruit and vegetable store in crown heights that puts out cases of fruit and veg before pesach for people in need. The name of the store is Mr. Greens.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
There is a fruit and vegetable store in crown heights that puts out cases of fruit and veg before pesach for people in need. The name of the store is Mr. Greens.

Specific days or time of day?

Only before yomtov, or also throughout the year?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:48 pm
If you are in Brooklyn there are fruit cart sidewalk vendors where you can get a lot of fruit for only a few dollars.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
If you are in Brooklyn there are fruit cart sidewalk vendors where you can get a lot of fruit for only a few dollars.

Can you say more about locations of said fruit cart sidewalk vendors? I've not seen them in my area.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:50 pm
Do these vendors accept food stamps?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
Registration for tomche shabbos or oneg shabbos?

Yikes, I'm not home and will be back in the evening :-(

Oneg Shabbos. I wonder if you can contact Rabbi Deutsch and explain your situation. Maybe he'd make an exception. They usually provide fruits and vegetables but not the best quality. I think they give sacks or cases of apples, oranges, carrots , potatoes, and onions. I think they may have given butternut squash last year, too. They may give sweet potatoes. I think they usually provide a small case of grape juice, chicken , and chabad matzos.

esuss

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:09 pm
If you are eligible for WIC they give u vouchers for fruits and veggies from farm stands
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics