Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
No Pesach Kitchen and Turn Over Late
Previous  1  2  3  4

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
I'd love to hear about the tortilla!

Here are two different recipes. You will want a good walk after because of the oil.

https://smittenkitchen.com/200.....atas/

http://www.bonappetit.com/reci.....tilla

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:35 am
animeme wrote:
3 days before isn't late. The day before is late. Way more people don't have a pesach kitchen than those who do. In three days, you can do a bulk baking day, a day for meat and chicken and some sides, and erev pesach is whatever is left and seder things.

Off topic but does anyone have a list for a bulk baking day? Trying to get orgenized so I can get the ingredients- have one day to spend baking this week but not much time to plan it. Dont want to resort to baking mixes since I think the pesach ones are a waste and prob don't taste great.
Was thinking one crumb type cake, sponge chocolate cake, brownies and blondies. (Also Chocolate mousse and maybe strawberry ice cream.)
For reg baking I just have stock of supplies at home. Pesach gets hard and I don't wanna over/ under buy and get stuck...

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:38 am
amother wrote:
Off topic but does anyone have a list for a bulk baking day? Trying to get orgenized so I can get the ingredients- have one day to spend baking this week but not much time to plan it. Dont want to resort to baking mixes since I think the pesach ones are a waste and prob don't taste great.
Was thinking one crumb type cake, sponge chocolate cake, brownies and blondies. (Also Chocolate mousse and maybe strawberry ice cream.)
For reg baking I just have stock of supplies at home. Pesach gets hard and I don't wanna over/ under buy and get stuck...

Since ingridients are so expensive, first get all your recipes and quantities and work out exactly how much you will need. How much potato starch, nuts, eggs, choc chips etc.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:41 am
A pesach kitchen is only useful if you want to cook in advance imo. Otherwise you often end up with a poky kitchen in an inconvenient part of the house. My mother had a pesach kitchen in a bedroom but you had to take down a wall. Now she finds it easier to kasher the chometz kitchen.

My inlaws have one in the basement. Also not the best location.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:40 am
I have a pessach kitchen. yes its tiny, yes it is the cheapest little thing you can imagine, but it is a lifesaver. I cook weeks in advance and freeze. we are a small family with MANY guests. there is no way for me to cook it all in one day.

we have guests every meal. sometimes we are going away for the first 2 days to family members who cannot travel due to health issues (and who otherwise wouldnt have a seder). we take EVERYTHING along. EVERYTHING. food, snacks, dishes, platta---- I HAVE to have everything ready long before.

Also ones everything is cooked and frozen I dont cook chol hamoed, we just make tiyulim or invite more guests (like kids from students dorms etc). I heat up and make fresh salad- thats it.

So many people mock me because of my pessach kitchen, many adviced me to have a second bathroom instead, but honestly this works so well for me, it doesnt take up much space at all, it costed me next to nothing and every year it is a life saver- when seder comes closer , im all relaxed Wink

Pita

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 6:50 am
Ok, does everyone make 5 desserts? How much can each person eat? I usually make one thing with chocolate, one citrus flavored cake, and serve nice fruit. 6-7 salads, and 3-4 cooked veggie sides (usually just different roasted vegetables) plus 2 main dishes. No one ever leaves hungry. It isn't much more than I usually do for Shabbat, except that I don't usually make dessert for Shabbat and only make one main dish.

Last edited by Pita on Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:42 am
mha3484 wrote:
Here are two different recipes. You will want a good walk after because of the oil.

https://smittenkitchen.com/200.....atas/

http://www.bonappetit.com/reci.....tilla

And a good wok before? Very Happy

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:02 am
Pita wrote:
Ok, does everyone make 5 desserts? How much can each person eat? I usually make one thing with chocolate, one citrus flavored cake, and serve nice fruit. 6-7 salads, and 3-4 cooked veggie sides (usually just different roasted vegetables) plus 2 main dishes. No one ever leaves hungry. It isn't much more than I usually do for Shabbat, except that I don't usually make dessert for Shabbat and only make one main dish.

Good grief, all this for one meal? No wonder some people have nervous breakdowns if this has become the norm. It sounds like what I make for the entire yomtov.

yksraya

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:40 am
I don't cook tons per meal and keep meals quite simple.

All the goodies I make is for snack time. I do brownie cakes (tons), mini cheese snacks. Some kind of cookies, meringues (only if I have time and energy). Choco mousse miniatures (only some yrs, when more energy and time) ice cream (some yrs)

Food: I make tons of potato kugels, egg crepes (for lukshen) soups, mayo, cucumber salad, mock cole slaw, and chrein.

and then the meats/chickens/fish and mashed potatoes etc for meals, I usually make fresh a day or 2 before and I do cook on chol chamoed the dinners and for shabbos/second days.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:47 am
I have many people coming for the entire Yom Tov and I have no Pesach kitchen.

I remember R Blumenkrantz a"h saying how his mother never complained about the work involved and she was overjoyed at the prospect of another Pesach coming, meaning another year she lived to see.

There are so many seriously ill people who would love to make Pesach but are too ill to do it.

But people have to remember that spring cleaning isnt a must. The musts are removal of Chometz and preparation of food.

yksraya

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
I have many people coming for the entire Yom Tov and I have no Pesach kitchen.

I remember R Blumenkrantz a"h saying how his mother never complained about the work involved and she was overjoyed at the prospect of another Pesach coming, meaning another year she lived to see.

There are so many seriously ill people who would love to make Pesach but are too ill to do it.

But people have to remember that spring cleaning isnt a must. The musts are removal of Chometz and preparation of food.

You're so so right! I don't do spring cleaning. If I want to spring clean I do so chanuka time till purim. After that it's only pesach cleaning and cooking.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:22 am
[quote="amother"]I have a pessach kitchen. yes its tiny, yes it is the cheapest little thing you can imagine, but it is a lifesaver. I cook weeks in advance and freeze. we are a small family with MANY guests. there is no way for me to cook it all in one day.

we have guests every meal. sometimes we are going away for the first 2 days to family members who cannot travel due to health issues (and who otherwise wouldnt have a seder). we take EVERYTHING along. EVERYTHING. food, snacks, dishes, platta---- I HAVE to have everything ready long before.

Also ones everything is cooked and frozen I dont cook chol hamoed, we just make tiyulim or invite more guests (like kids from students dorms etc). I heat up and make fresh salad- thats it.
P

So many people mock me because of my pessach kitchen, many adviced me to have a second bathroom instead, but honestly this works so well for me, it doesnt take up much space at all, it costed me next to nothing and every year it is a life saver- when seder comes closer , im all relaxed Wink[/quote

I also have a Pesach kitchen that's a joke, but a life saver.

It's in my garage.
No ventilation except when I open the garage door.
You can have a hot yoga class on YT, when the oven is on for 2 days.

But again, it's a life saver.

I have 4 big plastic cabinets, from Home Depot, with all my stuff, so there's no shlepping cabinets, They cost less than $100 each.
I have the cheapest electric range that I plug where my dryer is usually plugged into, $600
I have the extra fridge and freezer, that I do use all year long, had them anyhow.
No counters, I use two folded tables.
For the sink I use the laundry sink.

One year, when DD was expecting her first, and lived in NY (I live oot).
I was able to make all of Pesach, by Rosh Chodesh. Everything was neatly in the freezer.
I had everyone by me, 20 ppl, except me.
DD, mom, mil, took care of everything.
All they had to do was make a fresh salad or 2, and just reheat, or defrost.

Worth every penny, even though it wasn't a lot.

Tomorrow I'm starting desserts, while my oven is still parve.

cbg

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:41 am
With so many ppl eating low carb and gluten free all year, it's not such a big deal if you don't have chametz for a few extra days.

We don't eat gebrochs so Davka we eat matza Brie after Pesach is over,
Also if I have leftovers in the fridge, of course I'm going to eat Pesach food even if it's not Pesach anymore.

Your kids can eat the same as what they eat the week of Pesach.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics