Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
No Pesach Kitchen and Turn Over Late
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:33 am
Pessach kitchen... rofl I can't. LOL

Another mom

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:35 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Very similar to Marion's answers. I usually turn over maybe two days before. I cook the day before. Thats that. No second kitchen (how many people out there actually even have that?) And we do just fine.

Me three! I do not have a P kitchen (a waste IMO), neither did my mother or grandmother, for sure!!!!! AND ALL SURVIVED!
wHY COOK A WEEK in advance? People go overbaord. If I don't bake a lot for the first Yom Tov, I can make easy brownies and buy some cake. On Chol Ha Moed I can do more. Cleaning is the first priority the weeks before Pesach...Good luck to all Very Happy

yksraya

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:40 am
Another mom wrote:
Me three! I do not have a P kitchen (a waste IMO), neither did my mother or grandmother, for sure!!!!! AND ALL SURVIVED!
wHY COOK A WEEK in advance? People go overbaord. If I don't bake a lot for the first Yom Tov, I can make easy brownies and buy some cake. On Chol Ha Moed I can do more. Cleaning is the first priority the weeks before Pesach...Good luck to all Very Happy

To each their own. I'm the type to do things in advance always. So would be stressful not to have atleast a wk in advance, and a wk feels tight to me. 2 wks is what I prefer. As I've said before, it's really not a competition. We should all do what works for us based on our own strengths and not on what others do.

Marion

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:17 am
yksraya wrote:
To each their own. I'm the type to do things in advance always. So would be stressful not to have atleast a wk in advance, and a wk feels tight to me. 2 wks is what I prefer. As I've said before, it's really not a competition. We should all do what works for us based on our own strengths and not on what others do.

I am too. But circumstances don't allow it. (And yes, I'll be working erev bedikat chametz. Luckily not erev chag.)

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
At work people are talking about the Pesach cakes and soups they have in their freezers, buying the meats that are in sale, baking and freezing, cleaning chickens and freezing. I'm starting to feel like the only one without a Pesach kitchen!
I cannot deal with cranky kids telling me there is "nothing" to eat, so I turn over my kitchen a few days before Pesach. It only gives me two or three days to cook but we keep it simple and I will cook on Tom tov if I have to.
Is there anyone else out there who does not have a Pesach kitchen and doesn't turn over early? (Or turn over now for a week and cook, then go BACK to chokers and turn back over right before Tom tov - that idea would NEVER work for me!)

I'm in the process of building a Pesach kitchen right now, which sadly will not be ready on time for Pesach. So this will be my 21st year making Pesach w/o a Pesach kitchen - and I don't turn over early either. 2-3 days ahead is plenty for me - and I entertain a lot, have big seders, etc.
Even when next year I have the Pesach kitchen, I can't see myself starting weeks ahead. I'm not the bake/cook ahead type. I like fresh. The only reason I'm making the Pesach kitchen at all is because I anyway need a ton of cabinetry to store all my Pesach stuff (full service for 36 plus endless pots, pans, platters, etc.) and by adding a sink and a cheap slide in range I can avoid kashering my kitchen for Pesach and hopefully extend it's life by not pouring water all over it.

Fox

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:39 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Pesach is only 8 days. I've no need or desire to turn it into a 5-week affair by turning my kitchen over now.

Thumbs Up

This. A million times over.

I know a lot of people like to potshke with elaborate desserts and whatnot, but it never worked for me. If I'm going to make something elaborate, I'd rather do it when I can use a full range of ingredients and equipment. Nor do I want my culinary creations, such as they are, picked over because everyone's full of matzoh.

Anyone who ever went on a cabbage-and-banana diet as a teenager knows that you can live with restricted food choices for a week. Find a few recipes that work for you and keep everyone full and happy.

I'm in total awe of people who can make delicious chocolate eclaires or whatever using nothing more than a box of pudding mix and a little potato starch, but at some point it crosses the line from balabusta-ness into a hobby.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:42 am
yksraya wrote:
No, not shabbos hagadol

I make a chometz cholent for Shabbos Hagadol. I use a crockpot which I put in a place not used for cooking and wash it in the laundry sink.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:46 am
Some of my favorite pesach meals were made on the fly. I have a small family and we dont really have guests so that makes it easier. One year I perfected the spanish tortilla. Another year cauliflower rice. We have lots of salad, guac, matzah etc and then a main course.

yksraya

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:07 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I make a chometz cholent for Shabbos Hagadol. I use a crockpot which I put in a place not used for cooking and wash it in the laundry sink.

Glad that works for u. My family likes pesachig chulent, so I don't mind to make it a wk more.
Ps. Am too spoiled, I like my counter space for cooking. Very Happy

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:24 am
Thanks for this realistic and practical thread. I'm a lot like the op, but I get really stressed about it. I hate having chometz and pesachdig at the same time; it doesn't feel kosher enough, since there's always transfer of crumbs all around no matter how hard I try. Therefore, I end up last minute and am not always ready or I'm very rushed.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:40 am
Fancy desserts are for Shavuot, not Pesach, around here. I'm hoping we can get the kitchen partway turned-over by Shabbat Hagadol, eating ready-made non-chametz food for Shabbos. Cooking will start by Sunday night- nobody's ever looking for much at shulchan orech after all the matza and maror, and we're a small crowd, so it's not a huge meal to cook. Lunch will be potluck with friends so that's only one additional dish to make. I don't have a gas timer so I won't be cooking on YT.

treestump

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:00 pm
Growing up, my family did have a Pesach kitchen, and we still started cooking every year on Erev Pesach. Once in a while, the day before.

We cooked fresh every day. The only things made in advance were roasts for the 2nd days, and huge tubs of salad dressings and some marinades, plus a huge stock of cakes and cookies that we roped the boys into making. Yes, that meant we were in the kitchen for a few hours each day, but we all preferred to spend 7-8 days cooking fresh food than making frozen food for a few weeks before.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:09 pm
I heard a very wise rebbetzin, zt"l, speak about 20 years ago and she said that patchke's for chol hamoed (if at all), not the first days.
For those who use products, the best cc cookie recipe is here somewhere and uses vanilla pudding. It goes far enough that the expense of the pudding doesn't seem frivolous.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:11 pm
Fox wrote:
Thumbs Up

This. A million times over.

I know a lot of people like to potshke with elaborate desserts and whatnot, but it never worked for me. If I'm going to make something elaborate, I'd rather do it when I can use a full range of ingredients and equipment. Nor do I want my culinary creations, such as they are, picked over because everyone's full of matzoh.

Anyone who ever went on a cabbage-and-banana diet as a teenager knows that you can live with restricted food choices for a week. Find a few recipes that work for you and keep everyone full and happy.

I'm in total awe of people who can make delicious chocolate eclaires or whatever using nothing more than a box of pudding mix and a little potato starch, but at some point it crosses the line from balabusta-ness into a hobby.

I don't own a stand mixer year-round, let alone Pesach, and only got a food processor a couple of years ago. We eat relatively simply for the week of Pesach. Fish, chicken and meat without heavy sauces. Salads. Chicken or vegetable soups. Roasted vegetables (carrots, eggplant, asparagus). Roasted potatoes or quinoa for grains. We rarely eat baked desserts during the year, and I hardly think that Pesach will change our minds on that!

Due to health concerns, neither of my sleep-over guests will let me know if they're coming until a day of two before Pesach, so I don't even know how many I'm cooking for.

I manage to make Shabbat every week, often with guest, cooking Thursday night after work, and no one has ever gone hungry. I'll manage with "only" two days to cook for two days this year.

[Don't people cook chol hamoed? Or do they cook everything in advance?]

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:57 pm
[quote="pause"]So you don't make a bean cholent

I make my regular chulent in the chometz crock pot. I plug the crock pot in my laundry room and put the ingredients in the pot while in the laundry room. I serve in a disposable large bowl and then throw away the bowl. Obviously that shabbos we are eating on disposable dishes and using plastic cutlery.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:59 pm
the way I do it is make sure the entire family can eat ... once they don't they get grouchy & it's a domino effect

I do not scrub the sink or fridge till the last sunday before pesach or erev erev pesach ... everything else stays the same until then but limiting foods to cleaning up / eating up what is in the fridge & cabinets - amazing what you can find to eat good money saver to spend toward expensive pesach

I combine what is left over to fit into some cabinets which are closed off

move the toaster oven & coffee machine & eat in the living room so I can keep up the cleaning without it getting out of hand ... last couple days is always PIZZA [bought & brough home before the crowd] & doughnut treats for breakfast & pre-made omelet sandwiches wrapped up & put aside ... outside if it's warm usually with a nice bonfire & hot dogs - life made simple

I don't take the pesach stuff out until all is scrubbed down ... I prefer fresh food so I cook on yom tov ... erev I stick to making sure we have all the seder plate things & soup & tons of sponge cakes + a few chocolate mousse [got eggs]

kids [overgrown as they might be] usually stick to eating potato chips & cottage cheese, yogurt & fruit

usually I save cooking a brisket & potatoe kugels for last days yom tov treat

I'm not even sure how to make a vegetarian yom tov ... this will be my newest feat [I imagine kids will be by dxh & in-laws and I will be helping mama make pesach again]

I found out last year that my father's family as per minhag never ate meat on passover ... just chicken [live & learn]

the trick is not to have many items [think amish] - just basics & also the only time of year I use a ton of disposables except for seder/yom tov meals & real coffee mugs ... then everything goes right back right away KEEP IT SIMPLE SWEETY

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 1:37 pm
naah ... don't worry about what the girls in your office say. Any office you work at with frum women you will hear them talk. Didn't they all talk about purim and mishloach manos too?

I have 1 kitchen and I only start cooking about a wk before. I cook a lot. I make the whole pesach for about 10 people. Every single meal ...I'm not saying it's easy to only start the cooking a few days before but I would loose my sanity if my kids would be eating for and asking for chometz while I'm cooking for pesach at the same time. 1 wk is hard enough. I hate cooking on yom tov but I do cook all chol hamoed and erev the 2nd days. Really, who cares what people do?? As long as you are managing fine with your choices.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 3:47 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Some of my favorite pesach meals were made on the fly. I have a small family and we dont really have guests so that makes it easier. One year I perfected the spanish tortilla. Another year cauliflower rice. We have lots of salad, guac, matzah etc and then a main course.

I'd love to hear about the tortilla!

Pita

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 3:52 pm
I don't know anyone who has a separate Pesach kitchen. I start preparing the house a week before, putting off the kitchen until four days before. I don't think anything out of the freezer tastes good, anyway. There is no reason to cook for more than 2 days. At least in my book.

Marion

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:59 pm
Pita wrote:
I don't know anyone who has a separate Pesach kitchen. I start preparing the house a week before, putting off the kitchen until four days before. I don't think anything out of the freezer tastes good, anyway. There is no reason to cook for more than 2 days. At least in my book.

My mother's had a Pesach kitchen for the last 29 years. It's not something that she actively pursued; the house my parents bought had a basement flat from the previous owners but my parents put it back as part of the house. Voila, 2nd kitchen. It's not a Pesach kitchen per se, as it's chametz year-round, but it does allow my mother to kasher a kitchen by Purim and start baking ahead of time. The cooking she does erev chag but the baking is all done by then.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics