Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How does Satmar feel about Frieda Vizel's tours?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:25 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Thanks. I don't know if this trip would be appropriate anyway, since I will be with my 12 year old DD who doesn't really understand English. But hopefully the next time I'm back in the NY area I'll have time to go on a proper tour. Maybe we will walk around though. Where should we go?

We are coming in May.

If you want the busiest section in Williamsburg, head to Wallabout Street and then down Lee Ave.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:32 pm
And chanchy pls check out the Satmar bikur cholim kitchen!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:38 pm
Maya wrote:
There are "Jews of all kinds" living in Williamsburg? Diversity? Mingling with non Jews?
Which Williamsburg have you lived in? Apparently not the one I lived in.

I'm sorry I don't understand the rest of your post, but this jumped out at me.

Growing up in Williamsburg, I was taught to greet and hold the doors for my non jewish neighbors. I lived door to door with non jews and so did my very orthodox brothers. Boys and girls growing up in KJ, don't have that. And for diversity, there are many kind of jews that I think broaden our sense of being a Jew. That's the difference I meant and that's something Frieda did not have growing up. She got there of course and now she can educate others.

debsey

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
Frida just responded to this thread on her site, she does not run tours on Shabbos or holidays. Read the rest of her response here-- http://www.visithasidim.com/bl.....tours

So, in other words, OP was Frida Vizel, looking for some quotes to put on her website? I guess the natives once again jumped to the bait!

Here's my thinking on this - Frida Vizel is welcome to do what she would like to do, but she does control the narrative when she controls the tour. She provides what is known in sociological circles as the "insider/outsider" perspective. It is a perspective that is colored (as all perspectives are colored) by her own life experience. If someone is concerned about her control of the narrative, then take control of the narrative and offer a competing tour!

In terms of learning some of the "talking points" about Williamsburg, anyone with a laptop, google, and a NYC library card can do that research in half a day. Despite the portraying of Willy as a shtetl, there are plenty of articulate imamothers on this site with sufficient command of English and googling skills to do that. Mapping out a route shouldn't be too hard. The unique selling point could be - see Willy from the perspective of an insider, an actual Williamsburg Hassidic woman.

If you want to influence the narrative, you've got to offer the service. And then let market forces take you where you wish to go.

Capitalism. It's a beautiful system.

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 2:38 pm
debsey wrote:
So, in other words, OP was Frida Vizel, looking for some quotes to put on her website? I guess the natives once again jumped to the bait!

Here's my thinking on this - Frida Vizel is welcome to do what she would like to do, but she does control the narrative when she controls the tour. She provides what is known in sociological circles as the "insider/outsider" perspective. It is a perspective that is colored (as all perspectives are colored) by her own life experience. If someone is concerned about her control of the narrative, then take control of the narrative and offer a competing tour!

In terms of learning some of the "talking points" about Williamsburg, anyone with a laptop, google, and a NYC library card can do that research in half a day. Despite the portraying of Willy as a shtetl, there are plenty of articulate imamothers on this site with sufficient command of English and googling skills to do that. Mapping out a route shouldn't be too hard. The unique selling point could be - see Willy from the perspective of an insider, an actual Williamsburg Hassidic woman.

If you want to influence the narrative, you've got to offer the service. And then let market forces take you where you wish to go.

Capitalism. It's a beautiful system.

What makes you think that's the OP is her?
There are over 25k posters here and anyone could have alerted her that she was mentioned here, or she possibly is on here and read about herself .

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 2:39 pm
This is a public thread btw, you don't need to be logged in to view.

debsey

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 2:39 pm
cnc wrote:
There are over 25k posters here and anyone could have alerted her that she was mentioned here, or she possibly is on here and read about herself .

timing of the thread being posted on her site is a bit.......fortuitous, shall we say?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 2:43 pm
debsey wrote:
timing of the thread being posted on her site is a bit.......fortuitous, shall we say?

When do you think that the thread would be posted on her site? She probably has a google alert set. Or is a member here.

debsey

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 2:47 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
When do you think that the thread would be posted on her site? She probably has a google alert set. Or is a member here.

Sure....or she was the OP, looking for quotes. Just pointing out that we don't always know who we are chatting with on here or what their motives are.

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 2:54 pm
I personally don't think it's her. The OP had a negative tone - why would Frieda do that if she's looking for positive comments?

Anything is possible though- although it wouldn't even bother me if it was her.

debsey

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 2:58 pm
cnc wrote:
I personally don't think it's her. The OP had a negative tone - why would Frieda do that if she's looking for positive comments?

Anything is possible though- although it wouldn't even bother me if it was her.

doesn't bother me either, but I think if it does bother someone, the solution is to open a competing business.

Laiya

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:01 pm
cnc wrote:

25,000?? A very small fraction of those who are registered, are on the site at any given time. Right now, there are 460 users online, of whom only 141 are registered.

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:01 pm
Online anything is possible

It could be it's her
It could be a supporter of hers
It could be an exchasid
It could be anyone....it's the World Wide Web.

Always remember this is the Internet.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:42 pm
Laiya wrote:
25,000?? A very small fraction of those who are registered, are on the site at any given time. Right now, there are 460 users online, of whom only 141 are registered.

And only a few of those are so familiar with Williamsburg.

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:44 pm
Iymnok wrote:
And only a few of those are so familiar with Williamsburg.

My point being is that there are plenty of people here that could have alerted her to this thread- more likely than her being the OP- but either way totally off topic.
Almost everyone that I know is on here.

Last edited by cnc on Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:44 pm
Chanchy, while I cant personally give you a tour, I can try to point out some interesting places for you to go but honestly the funny thing is that other than the bikur cholim kitchen I can't even think of what's so intereting to see in WIlly - it looks just like any other chareidi neighborhood in EY!

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:48 pm
Exactly , I am thinking, what is so interesting about Williamsburg that people want a tour of? Google on the map. Williamsburg. It will be just like any Brooklyn neighborhood.

I guess for people who have never seen a chasidish ever person before it's interesting.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Chanchy, while I cant personally give you a tour, I can try to point out some interesting places for you to go but honestly the funny thing is that other than the bikur cholim kitchen I can't even think of what's so intereting to see in WIlly - it looks just like any other chareidi neighborhood in EY!

The pharmacies. Don't forget the pharmacies.

Lol that she excerpted my posts on her site, twice. Without the context of zaq' s questions it's odd. And she edited a little bit, which I understand because I was laughing at tourists taking photos of random things like pharmacies.

I agree with you, though. We know very little about the architectural history. The best we can do is give a current lifestyle tour.

"This shop sells fish. During the holiday of Pesach/Passover, some families keep the tradition of buying live fish. And this is the bakery where modern influence on tradition can be seen in the spelt challah. And here is a wedding hall, one of 7 in the area, where a local teenage couple gets married every weeknight except during special days or religious days of mourning. Notice the separate entrances for men and women. Inside the hall the men and women also dance and celebrate seperately. And here is the grocery store l, where you can all go in and buy some kosher ersatz coke. Not all local stores sell coca-cola because of more stringent kosher standards than the national familiar OU."

Etcetera.

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
The pharmacies. Don't forget the pharmacies.

Lol that she excerpted my posts on her site, twice. Without the context of zaq' s questions it's odd. And she edited a little bit, which I understand because I was laughing at tourists taking photos of random things like pharmacies.

I agree with you, though. We know very little about the architectural history. The best we can do is give a current lifestyle tour.

"This shop sells fish. During the holiday of Pesach/Passover, some families keep the tradition of buying live fish. And this is the bakery where modern influence on tradition can be seen in the spelt challah. And here is a wedding hall, one of 7 in the area, where a local teenage couple gets married every weeknight except during special days or religious days of mourning. Notice the separate entrances for men and women. Inside the hall the men and women also dance and celebrate seperately. And here is the grocery store l, where you can all go in and buy some kosher ersatz coke. Not all local stores sell coca-cola because of more stringent kosher standards than the national familiar OU."

Etcetera.

lol
You'd make an awesome tour guide!

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:13 pm
I would think that the tourists who come want to know about the current cultural and religious aspects of Williamsburg, not about its historic architecture. Much like when we go to the Amish, we want to know about their lifestyle, not who built their buildings.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics