Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How does Satmar feel about Frieda Vizel's tours?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Fox

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:00 am
Actually, it's a shame more communities in large urban areas don't have tours.

In Chicago, the Chinatown Chamber of Commerce does tours, and they're great. I started taking my kids when they were little simply because it was a cheap Chol HaMoed trip, but over the years, they learned how to say "hello" and "thank you" in Mandarin (and that Mandarin is different from Cantonese) and all kinds of other random tidbits about Chinese culture.

Over the years, we also hit Mexican, Korean, Vietnamese, Swedish, and Jamaican neighborhoods -- if you need ideas for dirt-cheap outings in Chicago, I'm your woman! None of those ethnic enclaves seemed to have tours, but it would have been great if they had. We had a ton of fun, and people were always very nice.

I hate to travel, but I love the fact that I can see a small slice of life from various cultures just by driving 10-30 minutes.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 12:56 pm
MagentaYenta-
Jews are not gentiles, the definition of gentile is "someone who is not Jewish"

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
MagentaYenta-

That's your definition.
Their definition is "someone who is not Amish". Smile

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
MagentaYenta-

Rolling Eyes You don't know much about the Amish do you?

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:18 pm
Both definitions are correct. Among Mormons, nonMormons are also called gentiles. At one time Christians applied the term to pagans.

The first definition , iow the one used most often, is any nonJew but especially a Christian. The term essentially means "of a clan, race, or nationality different from ours" with the original "ours" being Roman.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:20 pm
Fox wrote:
Actually, it's a shame more communities in large urban areas don't have tours.

In Chicago, the Chinatown Chamber of Commerce does tours, and they're great. I started taking my kids when they were little simply because it was a cheap Chol HaMoed trip, but over the years, they learned how to say "hello" and "thank you" in Mandarin (and that Mandarin is different from Cantonese) and all kinds of other random tidbits about Chinese culture.

Over the years, we also hit Mexican, Korean, Vietnamese, Swedish, and Jamaican neighborhoods -- if you need ideas for dirt-cheap outings in Chicago, I'm your woman! None of those ethnic enclaves seemed to have tours, but it would have been great if they had. We had a ton of fun, and people were always very nice.

I hate to travel, but I love the fact that I can see a small slice of life from various cultures just by driving 10-30 minutes.

Los Angeles is the same way. SF as well. When we live in the El Lay burbs and wanted a change of scene we'd walk a few blocks to Little Saigon or Little Mubai. Los Angeles itself has a wonderful Chinatown and Korea Town.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics