Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
ISO new toy for pesach!
1  2  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:39 pm
My kids are 4 1/2, 3 (girls) and 17 mo boy
I have a $35 Amazon gift card and saved it all year to get my kids a nice new toy for pesach.

All year round they love (among other toys) the combo of magna tiles, mentchies and a bus. Dollhouse and accessories or dolls/ stroller.

My question is- is it worthwhile to buy any of those and then put away yearly for pesach- or rather get something different and yes clean my toys for pesach so they have a variety? Do both? I Know it's a small budget but I'll add a little if need be.

Advice?
TIA!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

hila

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:54 pm
Lego/Duplo. They love it for years. get it now and add to it every chag. Get a basic set now.

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:37 pm
I have similar ages also with a gift card to a toy store and I'm waiting for pesach. I plan on getting clicks, gears, and a set of little people something. I want to put it away for pesach. I'm done with cleaning toys and I think they'll be excited to use it each year. Plus I have no more room in my closet for more toys so I need to anyways store with pesach things, or elsewhere.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:14 am
im also considering to buy clicks (5 and 2 1/2 year old boys).

is it worth investing? they are hard to get here and are not cheap (I know in israel they sell them everywhere Smile

normally they love magnatiles and duplo/lego...

my sil gave us a playmobile helicopter, which I hid for the past 3 months in order to give it to the kids on pessach.

so u think adding clicks would be a good idea?

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:19 am
Imo clics are overrated. They're not cheap, take up lots of space, and are hard for little kids to put together.

Duplo will get you much more mileage for your age range on a $35 budget.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:37 am
seeker wrote:
Imo clics are overrated. They're not cheap, take up lots of space, and are hard for little kids to put together.

Duplo will get you much more mileage for your age range on a $35 budget.

Absolutely agree. My kids barely look at clicks.
I was thinking about getting the animal duplo set. Can kids enjoy that alone or do need to get the bricks as well?
(We have duplo for yr round)
Another question about duplo- anyone have an Off-brand and how does it compare to reg?

Something else I was looking into: playsticks and candy construction set. Do kids like these and can it entertain for a while?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tiredwithjust2

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:44 am
I don't understand playstix. My son got them when he was 4 or 5 and he's still the only one on the family who knows how to use them. Plus there's little pieces with them. I'd say clics are better than playstix. I'm getting some dress up outfits for my girls to play with over yuntif and we usually get a new book. Those will be fun on yuntif Bc they're new and then they'll be used throughout the year.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:45 am
The candy.game is not played with so.much by me unless I sit down and help them
Playsticks make a big mess and its.great just for right kid and right age. Also if you learn how to clic them together it's more excitin for kids

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:46 am
2GN wrote:
...Another question about duplo- anyone have an Off-brand and how does it compare to reg?
In my experience Duplos hold up much better than the off brands. Some of our Duplos are over 30 years old and still work great! They're nearly indestructible. Many of our off brand Duplo-compatible blocks have chipped or broken over time.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:51 am
My kids got a candy construction set and it never held up. All the things they tried to make fell apart.
So do the off brand magna tiles (the play mags). Supposedly the opaque magna tiles hold together better.
Click are only square, so it really limits what you can build, imo.

Blessed4

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:00 am
We have clics duplo and play Sticks. All great. I think clicks is best for kids that have a big imagination. Play sticks, I would recommend getting a big set with board . Duplo always a winner and nice toy to collect.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:23 am
I am getting my little boys a road rug for their cars. I have no idea if girls like this kind of thing sorry.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:45 am
I think 4 1/2 is still too young for clicks. Its a hard toy to work with.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:26 pm
My 4.5 year old has been using clicks well for about half a year now.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:37 pm
Magnatiles are something all age kids like, by me. They fall apart quickly, but they just love it!!

sky

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:10 pm
Playstix - I have an off brand from one of the Jewish stores that was 1/2 the price and just as good.
Straws and connectors

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 7:44 pm
I would not put away a toy for pesach unless like the poster anove said I really otherwise had no room.
I would get them a new toy- I second the duplicate recommendation- then put it into yearly recommendation.
We always wash the toys in the bath, choose one or two and the kids have fun scrubbing then rinse off.
Diplomats can also go in a dishwasher if u have one

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:03 pm
2GN wrote:
Absolutely agree. My kids barely look at clicks.
I was thinking about getting the animal diploma set. Can kids enjoy that alone or do need to get the bricks as well?
(We have duplo for yr round)
Another question about duplo- anyone have an Off-brand and how does it compare to reg?

Something else I was looking into: playsticks and candy construction set. Do kids like these and can it entertain for a while?

Not sure which animal set you're talking about. I have a zoo set that came in a smallish bucket that came with a nice amount of bricks in addition to some animals and a zookeeper. I think sets like that are great, they open the kid up to the potential for pretend play.

Playsticks are above your age range. My 6-year-old likes them but can only really build the basic things (and ask me to make the others for her :roll). My 4-year-old basically just tries to stack them imitating her sister but it's wasted on her.

Candy construction is OK but not as great as it looks. I've heard from a couple of people the quality isn't amazing - like the pieces don't fit together as smoothly and strongly as you really need them to in order to just enjoy. It's not a BAD toy but not as good as it should have been.

ETA: off brands of Duplo (I'm mostly familiar with megablocks) are nothing terrible but Duplo is SO nice that I'd rather wait for a sale (they come up on Kosher on a Budget from time to time) and go for the real thing. They're beautiful, fit smoothly, last pretty much forever, great sets and accessories. I actually got about half of mine secondhand, I do that a lot.

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:27 am
Clics has been the most played with toy in my house but maybe they need to be a little bit older.

Once they're old enough, there are endless amount of things they like to make with it. And we have a very large set, I think 1000 pc, so that helps.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:56 am
Do not get gears. It's too limited and they don't turn when you have too much attached.
Magnatiles, duplo and cliks are always reliable and can be added to.

Matchbox cars, a track and rug are great too.

I'd love to get a puppet theatre. It can be fun for everyone.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics