Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Husband taking me away for two days and one night-still nurs
1  2  Next

sarale

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 1:37 am
Husband wants to take me away for two days and one night after Yom Tov. The baby is fifteen months KA"H. SHe is still nursing. The other kids can sleep out but is it crazy to start weaning her? WE really need this break , but maybe I should just take her away with us, but itwont be so private, etc... Is it crazy to take her? Or is it crazier to wean her and leave her with her trusted babysitter for half of Sunday, SUnday Night and most of Monday?
Please reply, and if you were in the same situation, please let me know how itturned out. We have not had a honeymoon for two years without anyone, yet I nused all the others at least till two.
Point B- she is a terrible eater- is it related to nursing and not having such an appetite? SHe nurses morning, afternoon, eve, once at night only lately...

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 2:14 am
I would bring her. Maybe there is a day camp where you are going for kids. if you can afford it, maybe you can bring a babysitter.

technic

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 3:03 am
I would wean her...uve already nursed 15mths...how often do u get private time w dh??? go 4 it Very Happy

mommalah

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 9:49 am
I would not wean her. Can you pump for her and pump while you are away?

Tehilla

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 10:27 am
I would not wean her, especially since you say she isn't the best eater. that means she's still depending a lot on you!

you should definitely still get away with your DH. are you going somewhere where you could hire a babysitter (ie a Jewish community and find a recommended babysitter?) for during the day and then have her with you at night?

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 10:29 am
we are not talking about an infant here ... and you need time for yourselves ... leave her ... and GO ...

mom23

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 11:14 am
When the opportunity presented itself to have a night out with my husband and I still had a nursing infant, I went with my husband and just pumped the feedings that I missed. You don't need to wean to get away. But if you are anxious to start the weaning process, this might be a great time. Go with your DH (the two of you alone) and have fun!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 11:47 am
I dont thinm its right to leave a nursing baby. either take her with or dont go away yet..

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 7:46 pm
I dont think you should take her. im not sure abt the weaning, only you know your child but if you take a child along, you might as well not go and wait for a time when you can really be alone. its just not worth it IMHO.
btw my daughter still nurses 2-3 times a day and I left her for almost 24 hours and she did fine. she just ate more that day and continued nursing when I came back like I had never been gone. 2-3 days is longer but you never know...kids may surprise you.

Dini

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 8:30 pm
Does the baby even take a bottle? will she be happy without you? you really have to know your kid. of course it would be better for you to go without her but is it possible. my choice would be to pump. my sister went away for a week to israel without her baby and pumped and it worked out okay. I don't know the exact details though

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 8:44 pm
at that age, it's beyond taking the bottle or not. my youngest is almost 15 months and she drinks from a cup all day long, but needs the comfort of nursing in the morning, plus 1-2 more times a day.

dh has wanted to go away with me but I said no because I don't feel like weaning her yet. if my oldest was older than 2, I would just take the baby. but at that age, I feel she's too young to be left alone without us or her sister.

sarale

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 10:48 pm
Thanks for all of your advice, I think I will take the baby and find a babysitter there for a few hours. I would probably be even more worried if she is miserable at home missing her feeds ,etc.
The thought definitely crossed my mind to leave her and I hear you all loud and clear about getting away wih dh, so we will plan a nice time with the baby, I dont think she will disturb us so much.
My gut is that she still is very attached and like Tehillah and others said, she does not eat much, she still relies on me, I will be more relaxed with her nearby. We will put her to bed early and relax. I will leave the others at home. When she grwos up a bit more, I will go away for a week for a proper vacation...
THanks all of you.

happymom

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 11:39 am
good for you! its so nice to hear when mothers do whats best for their kids too! Wink

amother

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 12:08 pm
happymom wrote:
good for you! its so nice to hear when mothers do whats best for their kids too! Wink

As long as it's not at the expense of their shalom bayis!!!

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 12:15 pm
sarale wrote:
Thanks for all of your advice, I think I will take the baby and find a babysitter there for a few hours. I would probably be even more worried if she is miserable at home missing her feeds ,etc.
The thought definitely crossed my mind to leave her and I hear you all loud and clear about getting away wih dh, so we will plan a nice time with the baby, I dont think she will disturb us so much.
My gut is that she still is very attached and like Tehillah and others said, she does not eat much, she still relies on me, I will be more relaxed with her nearby. We will put her to bed early and relax. I will leave the others at home. When she grwos up a bit more, I will go away for a week for a proper vacation...
THanks all of you.

have a great time! I think you made a good decision.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 12:34 pm
Enjoy your vacation with DH and I think you made a great decision. You sound happy and relaxed already in the post. Have fun!

CAYA

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 1:20 pm
I would definitely take her along

happymom

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 1:40 pm
Quote:

of course. but if a decision would be made that is only good for both parents and not the kids, then a different something has to be decided. its not ok for just the parents to be happy or just the kids, in a healthy situation parents AND children should be happy/

gold21

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 1:54 pm
hard for me to answer, since I'm not so into long-term nursing, ya know. so im like quite biased in favor of weaning. im one of those you-max-out-at-one-years-old thinkers. which would make it unfair for me to post my opinion. but...good luck and enjoy! and kudos to your dh, great idea of his!!

Mommamia

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 12:50 am
happymom wrote:
Quote:

of course. but if a decision would be made that is only good for both parents and not the kids, then a different something has to be decided. its not ok for just the parents to be happy or just the kids, in a healthy situation parents AND children should be happy/

I totally agree!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics