Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Do you love Far Rockaway?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:42 am
Are you a young family who LOVES living in Far Rockaway?

I'm asking honestly. I don't want any negative answers, I want only the reasons why you really love it (the community, the schools, the atmosphere etc...) Be specific!

We are finding ourselves in the position of having to move, and for various reasons Far Rockaway is on the table, but I'm really not loving the idea.. I would love to be convinced.

We are a chinuch/post kollel family if that makes a difference.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:36 pm
Aesthetically beautiful area with fabulous shul and school choices. Really great family oriented lifestyle. Backyards, quiet streets, plenty of green and no parking issues unless a shul without a parking lot is nearby.
BUT housing is insane. You post you think you will end up there. Wondering if you have a place to live? Old school Far Rock families are wonderful- well grounded with strong "normal" values and down to earth type with no desire to keep up with the Joneses. But since you can no longer buy a hut for <1 million $ at this point, new younger crowd that knocks on doors and offers owner $1.2 million to sell is quite materialistic big spenders. If you end up on certain blocks or in certain shuls, expect pricey Shabbos (and weekday) kid clothing and shoes, vacations, cars, etc.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:49 pm
Do you have school age children who will need to find new schools? It is very difficult to get a spot in the local schools. The exception is for preschool and kindergarten. Space is a huge in the schools.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:17 pm
We have 3 kids, all young, not in grade school yet.

I would have to apply for kindergarten for my oldest (what is the cut off month/date for entering a grade?)

We yearn for a low key community. I know bordering the 5 towns isn't exactly that.

Is it family and community oriented? For some reason what I've heard about it (we really have to go visit for real), is that it's so un-friendly and so not a community-- TELL ME I"M WORNG!! I'd love to hear otherwise!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:28 pm
Far Rockaway is super nice. Don't know what area you're coming from, but I seriously love this town. People here are so normal and down to earth. It's refreshing to live here. Although there are elements of "in-town" life in terms of fashion and trends, people are not judgemental like they are in other fashion-forward areas, and there's very little pressure to conform.

....Except the housing prices as referenced above Twisted Evil .

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:39 pm
thank you amber amother. your post was refreshing to read!

are there particular streets that have young families moving in, or are they all spread out?

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
Aesthetically beautiful area with fabulous shul and school choices. Really great family oriented lifestyle. Backyards, quiet streets, plenty of green and no parking issues unless a shul without a parking lot is nearby.

Astheticall beautiful? I wouldn't call it that. There are a few more trees than Brooklyn, and you may or may not get a bit of a backyard, but let's not exaggerate here.

amother wrote:
BUT housing is insane. You post you think you will end up there. Wondering if you have a place to live? Old school Far Rock families are wonderful- well grounded with strong "normal" values and down to earth type with no desire to keep up with the Joneses. But since you can no longer buy a hut for <1 million $ at this point, new younger crowd that knocks on doors and offers owner $1.2 million to sell is quite materialistic big spenders. If you end up on certain blocks or in certain shuls, expect pricey Shabbos (and weekday) kid clothing and shoes, vacations, cars, etc.

I do agree with your generalization about affordable housing and the kinds of people who are buying, but it depends on your area. I just bought a place for reasonably little. It's a small house and needed a lot of work, and the location wasn't the best, but it can be done IF one is willing to do it.

I'm a real OOTer, as my SN suggests, and I am surprisingly happy here. Granted, I am one of those who doesn't feel the pressure to keep up with the Cohens, and am happy being who I am. And I have a few friends who are like-minded. On a whole people are very friendly, and I have made friends just by hanging out at the park, library exc.

If your husband is in Chinuch or Klei Kodesh, then I assume you will have somewhat of a community base. The community is quite large and it can take time to find your place. I happen to have a Shul that my husband like and is involved in, but I have friends whose husbands don't and aren't as happy.

PM me for more specific questions.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
We have 3 kids, all young, not in grade school yet.

I would have to apply for kindergarten for my oldest (what is the cut off month/date for entering a grade?)

We yearn for a low key community. I know bordering the 5 towns isn't exactly that.

Is it family and community oriented? For some reason what I've heard about it (we really have to go visit for real), is that it's so un-friendly and so not a community-- TELL ME I"M WORNG!! I'd love to hear otherwise!

I agree with Aqua's post. So true!

Have you considered Bayswater? It is definitely low-key. And more affordable than FR proper. But there are definitely plenty of low-key people in FR too.

I certainly would not call FR unfriendly. I actually find the people to be very friendly and welcoming. It is very big (in terms of the number of people) so it is not like one cohesive community as you may find OOT. But definitely much more of a community feeling than Flatbush or Boro Park.

I think cut off date depends on the school. AFAIK, the cut off in BBY is now December 1st and Darchei is November 1st, but I am not positive and don't know about the other schools.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:
Are you a young family who LOVES living in Far Rockaway?

I'm asking honestly. I don't want any negative answers, I want only the reasons why you really love it (the community, the schools, the atmosphere etc...) Be specific!

We are finding ourselves in the position of having to move, and for various reasons Far Rockaway is on the table, but I'm really not loving the idea.. I would love to be convinced.

We are a chinuch/post kollel family if that makes a difference.

Very confused by your post. I think its very in vogue to use the phrase "I don't want any negativity". But doesn't learning the truth about something supersede "positive only"?Are you really considering moving to a neighborhood, and your effort to gather information is structured in a way that you (intentionally) don't find out about some important stuff? Don't you feel you need to learn EVERYTHING?

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:22 pm
As someone else mentioned, is there a reason you're only looking into FR and not also Bayswater? Bayswater would give you access to a lot of the good parts of the FR community, but with the much warmer community and less materialistic culture you seem to be seeking.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:08 pm
Look into inwood if you are looking for low key yeshivish.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:42 pm
I do! So many super special people. Really nice community and community feel. So many wonderful shils and schools to choose from. But remember that the schools are a mix of all the local communities, so as your children get older THEY may feel peer pressure for certain trends/lifestyles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating