Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
For those who say kitniyot is good food leading into pesach
1  2  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:38 pm
How does this help? Like if you say, we do lots of rice so the crumbs aren't chametz, how does this help if is cooked your year round keilim?

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:39 pm
People cook it in their pesach kayleim or buy a cheap rice cooker just to have for that time period

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:49 pm
you can buy klp kitnios products eg chummus.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:58 pm
We've bought ready products for snacking.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 6:00 pm
meaning the crumbs are ok, not the actual cooking utensils

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 6:03 pm
A lot of people do kitniyos to stop the trail of chometz through the house but may not have flipped over the kitchen yet....

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 6:07 pm
We do what Hashem Yaazor said.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 6:29 pm
Yes. See this is what I have heard of and I don't get it. How does it help?
HashemYaazor wrote:
A lot of people do kitniyos to stop the trail of chometz through the house but may not have flipped over the kitchen yet....

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:01 pm
amother wrote:

Because only actual chametz is chametz.

Rice cooked in a chametz pot isn't kosher for Pesach, but it's not chametz that you have to get rid of.

You don't have to get rid of everything that you wouldn't eat on Pesach. You only have to get rid of actual chametz, leavened food. You can have bags of popcorn in all your closets, if you like. That's not recommended, for other reasons, but it is totally fine from a halachic perspective.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:

If you have kids that leave bits of food or crumbs all over, you can clean the house for pesach and serve kitniyus instead of chometz. That way any bits of food or crumbs are not problematic.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
Because by only actual chametz is chametz.

Rice cooked in a chametz pot isn't kosher for Pesach, but it's not chametz that you have to get rid of.

You don't have to get rid of everything that you wouldn't eat on Pesach. You only have to get rid of actual chametz, leavened food.

Thank you!!! I'm soooo glad I read this. I get it now. So are you saying if I have cleaned the house (not kitchen) for Pesach, and then say serve a meal of chicken veg rice fruit cooked in the regular keilim, I can just after that clean the kitchen (and eating area of course) for Pesach, but I don't have to worry about kids eg standing on food crumbs and spreading them to the bedrooms because it's only kitniyot even though you cant eat it on Pesach? (ok you want to clean it anyway but that's just fir "clean". Ok. That's terrific to know. Thank you so much!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you!!! I'm soooo glad I read this. I get it now. So are you saying if I have cleaned the house (not kitchen) for Pesach, and then say serve a meal of chicken veg rice fruit cooked in the regular keilim, I can just after that clean the kitchen (and eating area of course) for Pesach, but I don't have to worry about kids eg standing on food crumbs and spreading them to the bedrooms because it's only kitniyot even though you cant eat it on Pesach? (ok you want to clean it anyway but that's just fir "clean". Ok. That's terrific to know. Thank you so much!

Yes, exactly. Sorry to hear that you have been having stress up to now.

esuss

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:49 pm
I don't allow my kids to bring kitniyos snacks into areas of house that are already cleaned for Pesach. If I find crumbs in bedroom how do I know for sure that it is chametz or kitniyos crumbs. It is near impossible to tell the difference. I can't know for certain that someone didn't forget and bring chometz food where they shouldn't.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 12:50 am
esuss wrote:
I don't allow my kids to bring kitniyos snacks into areas of house that are already cleaned for Pesach. If I find crumbs in bedroom how do I know for sure that it is chametz or kitniyos crumbs. It is near impossible to tell the difference. I can't know for certain that someone didn't forget and bring chometz food where they shouldn't.

There shouldn't be chometz food in the house once kitniyus only rule is instituted. That way if there are crumbs there is only one source.

essie14

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
There shouldn't be chometz food in the house once kitniyus only rule is instituted. That way if there are crumbs there is only one source.

Exactly. There is basically no more chametz snacks in my house anymore. Just kitniyot. So besides the kitchen which hasn't been turned over, the rest of my house is kosher for Pesach and I have no more worries.

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:47 pm
Something that I don't understand is that rice is considered a problematic grain, even among sefardim, and in order to use it on pesach, we need to exhaustively check each grain for traces of chametz, or buy the super expensive prechecked rice. For those ashkenazim using rice before pesach, are you buying the prechecked rice or checking your rice? Because as far as sefardim go, unchecked rice before pesach is as good as using chometz bc there so much cross contamination.

I'm also precooking a bunch of meals for the week leading into pesach, but we're checking the rice so as to avoid problems. Is this not a thing with ashkenazim?

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:52 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Something that I don't understand is that rice is considered a problematic grain, even among sefardim, and in order to use it on pesach, we need to exhaustively check each grain for traces of chametz, or buy the super expensive prechecked rice. For those ashkenazim using rice before pesach, are you buying the prechecked rice or checking your rice? Because as far as sefardim go, unchecked rice before pesach is as good as using chometz bc there so much cross contamination.

I'm also precooking a bunch of meals for the week leading into pesach, but we're checking the rice so as to avoid problems. Is this not a thing with ashkenazim?

For eating, yes unchecked rice is a problem. But I don't think there is a problem owning it or having it around as long as it isn't touching pesach utensils or food surfaces.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:

Exactly. And if they sneakily munch on rice cakes or corn flakes in the bedroom despite all your lecturing, well, they might attract bugs but you don't have to worry about chometz.

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:58 pm
nicole81 wrote:

No they just buy the prechecked rice or they use processed products that don't need to be checked

yksraya

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:22 pm
zaq wrote:
Exactly. And if they sneakily munch on rice cakes or corn flakes in the bedroom despite all your lecturing, well, they might attract bugs but you don't have to worry about chometz.

FYI you need to make sure corn flakes doesn't contain chametz ingredients.

I once heard someone by mistake bought whole grain cakes (chametz) instead of rice cakes. It looks the same and is next to eachother in the grocery aisle.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics