Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
For those who say kitniyot is good food leading into pesach
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:23 pm
yksraya wrote:
FYI you need to make sure corn flakes doesn't contain chametz ingredients.

I once heard someone by mistake bought whole grain cakes (chametz) instead of rice cakes. It looks the same and is next to eachother in the grocery aisle.

No need to FYI me. I have been reading product labels since before you were born. And now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the grocery store where cornflakes are on sale. I'm almost out of Cheerios.

Seas

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 6:12 pm
If I'm not mistaken cornflakes have malt, which is chometz.

Seas

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 6:16 pm
Seas wrote:
If I'm not mistaken cornflakes have malt, which is chometz.

Yup, this is from kellogs.com:
Milled corn, sugar, malt flavor, contains 2% or less of salt. BHT added to packaging for freshness.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 6:37 pm
Seas wrote:
Yup, this is from kellogs.com:
Milled corn, sugar, malt flavor, contains 2% or less of salt. BHT added to packaging for freshness.

You're right. This is from OU website:

However, some barley is steeped in water until the barley begins to sprout; this creates a product known as barley malt (a.k.a. malted barley, malt) which is definitely chametz. The Torah says that one may not own se'or on Pesach.

yksraya

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 6:46 pm
zaq wrote:
No need to FYI me. I have been reading product labels since before you were born. And now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the grocery store where cornflakes are on sale. I'm almost out of Cheerios.

No need to be so proud. You can learn new things no matter your age. Dunno which brand you buy, but as I've known till now, and as par other posters, corn flakes does contain chametz.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:58 am
There are gluten free cornflake crumbs. I assume you can also find gluten free cornflakes (uncrushed) - probably Erewhon, if you don't mind the price.

I was too tired to supervise the cleaning lady today, so I told her to do the dining room. No more Shabbos meals for me! DH says we could eat in the kitchen (or go to the kids). Or, I guess, we could use just a few chairs & wipe them down again.

As it says in halacha, when Erev Pesach fell on Shabbos, they'd eat challah, shake off the tablecloth & sweep the floor....

etky

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:31 am
Here in Israel there are KLP-kitniyot cereals including corn flakes.
There must be some equivalent products in the States (perhaps imported from Israel...) what with the ever-growing range of KLP -kitniyot products, no?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:33 am
etky wrote:
Here in Israel there are KLP-kitniyot cereals including corn flakes.
There must be some equivalent products in the States (perhaps imported from Israel...) what with the ever-growing range of KLP -kitniyot products, no?

There are cereals in the US that are kitniyos -- for sure Fruity Pebbles & Cocoa Pebbles, but definitely others too. Most cornflakes here though do have malt which is chometz.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:44 am
Rice-
Chimera cannot be battul b'shishim on pesach. But it can before. So before pesach your regular checked rice is fine. There are no problems with it.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:08 am
OOTBubby wrote:
There are cereals in the US that are kitniyos -- for sure Fruity Pebbles & Cocoa Pebbles, but definitely others too. Most cornflakes here though do have malt which is chometz.

Most of the cornflakes here are chametz, too, including the Israeli ones. I think B&D makes one year-round that isn't, and by now supermarkets should have the Pesach versions.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics