Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Babywearing in airport

Gitch

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:57 pm
I am traveling myself with my 7 month old baby on a short flight, from a busy airport to a very quiet one. Is it crazy to not take stroller, but wear the baby instead? Has anyone done this? Is it more convenient to put baby into and out of wrap, than juggle folding and unfolding stroller by myself plus deal with the wear and tear on stroller?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 6:03 pm
Doesn't sound crazy and no reason you need to take baby in and out really, I think it would actually be easier. The hardest part for me travelling alone with a baby was using the restroom, though. Take that into consideration.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 7:18 pm
I appreciated having both carrier and stroller. Sometimes you end up with lots to carry, and loading the stroller makes things a lot easier.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 7:30 pm
Not crazy esp for short flight but I have gone on at least 20 flights with babies and a stroller is very helpful.
Note you won't be able to use bathroom without help.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 7:33 pm
Are you an experienced baby-wearer? If so, then great. If not, consider taking a class to make sure you are wearing baby properly for maximum comfort.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 7:53 pm
I never used a stroller with my youngest. Always wore her, was experienced with back carries as well as front. But when I travelled I took our old Maclaren stroller. It basically was my luggage cart. Helped me transport diaper bag and carry ons to the gate.

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 7:59 pm
It's helpful to have the stroller to put the baby in occasionally, when you need to go through security they wont let you keep the baby on you, but baby carrier is amazing - I never travel without it when I'm taking babies. If you have to walk before you get your stroller, getting off the plane with baby and all your packages, getting baby to sleep (most of them don't sleep particularly well in the bassinets), and definitely for going to the bathroom - you can totally go while baby wearing, and I wouldn't leave my baby alone while I went.

May

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:54 pm
I'm not voting yay or nay, but regarding security as mentioned above - they certainly won't let you keep the baby in the stroller while going through security. Security might actually be the most difficult part to manage alone with a stroller. While holding the baby you have to fold up the stroller and put it on the belt, as well as take off your shoes, etc, and then do the same on the other side - assemble the stroller and juggle all your belongings while holding baby. The security lines tend to move fast and you might feel rushed along which can be stressfull. If you don't have a stroller I think it'll be easier to simply wear the baby while you put your personal stuff on the belt and then unwrap the baby and carry her through security in your arms.

I guess alot depends on how easy/hard the stroller is for you to fold and unfold alone, while holding a baby. (For both security and when boarding/landing) If it's not too difficult then the stroller would probably add an extra convinience of having a place to put stuff. Maybe consider wearing and bringing the stroller so you have the convinience of both.

little_mage

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:04 pm
I've gone through security babywearing multiple times, and I've never had to take the baby off. They might pull you aside for a pat down, but I've been able to wear the baby. I do agree that it might be nice to have a stroller to put things so that you aren't carrying a bag with the weight of the baby. I will disagree about the bathroom. While not ideal, I've gone to toilet wearing a baby. It can be done.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:10 pm
Yep...the only reason I'd want a stroller would be as a luggage cart.
Security, bathroom...all easier with a carrier.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 6:17 pm
For takeoff and landing they've made me take baby off/out of Ergo... So sad, he was sleeping in there.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 6:18 pm
And yes, it is possible to use the bathroom with the baby in a carrier.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
For takeoff and landing they've made me take baby off/out of Ergo... So sad, he was sleeping in there.

That's interesting never had that.
Was it a certain airline or all airlines that you flew?

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 5:22 am
amother wrote:

I've had this too sometimes. Some flights yes, some flights not. It wasn't the airline, but the steward/ess.

BTW, another thing is that you get more help/sympathy when you have a baby in a carrier vs. a stroller. Smile

Gitch

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:16 am
Thanks for your responses. I'm gonna try it and see how it goes. I have one small wheelie that they'll take planeside and a tiny backpack for diapers and a change of clothes. So I don't need stroller for shlepping.

Now I just have to pray that baby is good and doesn't cry the whole flight!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:56 am
amother wrote:
That's interesting never had that.
Was it a certain airline or all airlines that you flew?

Interesting to me that you never had that!

I've never experienced otherwise, though it really only mattered to me when the baby was sleeping. I found it infuriating actually. They told me that it is FAA regulations, because the carrier is not an approved restraining device or whatever it's called. And my hands are??? Really nonsensical.

That time it was probably United or Continental, fwiw. Not sure.

I've definitely had very different experiences on different flights flying with babies and toddlers... As far as, for example, how tolerant they are of the baby/toddler crawling/walking a bit in the aisle midflight... These things make a big difference between a flight being bearable or not, and it does seem to be up to the flight attendants.

I remember the people at Southwest being especially nice... Not even so much what they allowed or didn't allow as that they seemed understanding.

Good luck!

little_mage

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:17 am
Yeah, I've had different experiences with in/out of carrier at takeoff and landing. It's ridiculous, because the first thing I'd do in an emergency is pop the baby back in so I have both hands...

amother
Green

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
Interesting to me that you never had that!

I've never experienced otherwise, though it really only mattered to me when the baby was sleeping. I found it infuriating actually. They told me that it is FAA regulations, because the carrier is not an approved restraining device or whatever it's called. And my hands are??? Really nonsensical.

That time it was probably United or Continental, fwiw. Not sure.

I've definitely had very different experiences on different flights flying with babies and toddlers... As far as, for example, how tolerant they are of the baby/toddler crawling/walking a bit in the aisle midflight... These things make a big difference between a flight being bearable or not, and it does seem to be up to the flight attendants.

I remember the people at Southwest being especially nice... Not even so much what they allowed or didn't allow as that they seemed understanding.

Good luck!

I usually fly southwest guess that's the answer.
I find aa and delta are the worst when it comes to traveling with kids. I don't think I have flown united with kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics