Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Walking on other people's property

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:14 pm
Our little kids like walking on other people's property. Some people have a low wall surrounding their front lawn, so as we pass by the kids like to step up and walk on it.

Dh and I disagree about how to handle it. While we both agree that we should tell the kids not to walk on other people's property, one of us thinks it isn't a big deal if they do it and will look the other way for the ten seconds they do it while the other will sternly admonish the kids and make them stop immediately. Which is correct? And does it bother you if your kids walk on other people's property? As a homeowner does it bother you if kids walk on your property?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:30 pm
I don't let my kids walk on others property.
I don't think it's nice.
I don't have stone for the kids to walk on but I wouldn't want others to be walking on my property. Unless you live in a place with no sidewalks then I would let the kids walk on the grass for safety reasons if it's a busy street.

behappy2

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:33 pm
If it is a neighbor than I let otherwise mostly no. Bec no one else will teach this lesson to them. I owe it to my kids.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:10 pm
It is common practice in my neighborhood to walk through yards if they are not fenced — there are many informal shortcuts here. People walk through our yard to get to a shul on the block behind us and we don't mind. DH even installed a few lights in the backyard to make it safer for them.

Simple1

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:15 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
It is common practice in my neighborhood to walk through yards if they are not fenced — there are many informal shortcuts here. People walk through our yard to get to a shul on the block behind us and we don't mind. DH even installed a few lights in the backyard to make it safer for them.

Wow! That's very nice of your DH!

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:16 pm
Clear boundaries must be established. Unless you know the people won't mind, then please teach them to respect others.

cm

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:41 pm
Walking on the low wall alongside the sidewalk is fine, IMO.

Cutting across the grass is not ok, unless the homeowner permits it. We have lots of neighborhood shortcuts here, too, but if someone doesn't want it, then you stay off the grass. If you don't know the owner, then definitely not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics