Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Baby's first walking shoes- which of these to get?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:23 pm
I'm so bad at making decisions.
Can someone please help me decide which of these to get for my son? It'll be his first pair of shoes.
http://www.striderite.com/en/s.....57644

http://www.striderite.com/en/s.....55377

thanks Smile

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:32 pm
Id take him to get fitted and buy whichever fits better

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:35 pm
For the first pair of shoes, you should not be buying online. It is very important that the shoe fits right since your child has just begun to walk. Go to a shoe store and have your son measured and fit for the first pair.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:36 pm
I see you are willing to spend $42 on shoes. The beginning walkers are important to be fitted correctly, and a proper fitting at a proper shoe store shouldn't cost more than that. Hold off online/outlet shoe shopping until at least your child has been fitted professionally several times and you haven't been told of any special requirements.

cm

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:44 pm
Stride Rite shoes are the best for new walkers. I agree with the others; get him fitted at your local Stride Rite store for the first pair.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:49 pm
Yeah I'm planning on going with him to the Stride Rite store to get fitted (I was just looking online to see what they sell). I didn't realize that the different styles may fit differently so one of them may be better just due to fit.
I'm actually not paying for them (I was shocked to see how much children's shoes cost!). I'm lucky that a relative of mine is treating him to his first pair.

I just know myself that I'm going to have a hard time deciding in the store so that's why I was looking online first :-p

tovli toraspicha

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:06 pm
I like the first one because I always like brighter colored shoes for kids

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:07 pm
Op go soon I think a lot of stride rite stores are closing unfortunately.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:08 pm
I've been to frum shoe stores and have seen moms so disappointed that they had to settle on a shoe they didn't love. The style they wanted were either sold out or didn't fit their child right. They threw bigger fits than the kids Rolling Laughter
I know my kids have difficult feet so I go to a place that fits really well. I tell the salesman what kind of shoes I am looking for and he brings out the options. My kids nix the ones they don't like and we are left with a small choice. Although there are much more adorable shoes on the shelves, I have to walk out with the ones that fit them best.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that you should go in with an open mind. First shoes are important to be a correct fit. See what they offer you and take it from there. You are going to be buying shoes for him for the next 18 years, so get used to it Very Happy

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:39 pm
The people working in stride rite stores are not magicians or perfect. I recently took my new walker to get fitted there and they advised me to size up... I saw him tripping over his own feet and didn't listen. I'm happy I didn't, he's comfortable now, his feet grow slowly, and these shoes will be shredded before he outgrows them.

Got less than perfect advice in Nordstrom too, for my other kid with unique foot issues.

Don't be afraid to buy online, you can order various styles, brands, sizes and see how he walks in them, and return whatever doesnt work. In my experience stride rite is the best for new walkers--with each kid I try other brands and keep coming back to them. But you can see yourself by trying.

I ended up buying stride rite sneakers online for my new walker, in a style not that different from what you posted. I tried many others first.

I believe Tucker and Tate at Nordstrom also make some flexible rubber sole shoes for new walkers, similar to stride rite. But not all their shoes are like that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:45 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Op go soon I think a lot of stride rite stores are closing unfortunately.

oh wow. Thank you for letting me know! I looked on their facebook page and it looks like someone posted a comment about the specific one I was planning on going to! They said they were sad it's closing. Do you think it's still worth it for me to go if they're in the process of closing the store?
I guess I'll call them up tomorrow but think I should just go to Nordstrom?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
The people working in stride rite stores are not magicians or perfect. I recently took my new walker to get fitted there and they advised me to size up... I saw him tripping over his own feet and didn't listen. I'm happy I didn't, he's comfortable now, his feet grow slowly, and these shoes will be shredded before he outgrows them.

Got less than perfect advice in Nordstrom too, for my other kid with unique foot issues.

Don't be afraid to buy online, you can order various styles, brands, sizes and see how he walks in them, and return whatever doesnt work. In my experience stride rite is the best for new walkers--with each kid I try other brands and keep coming back to them. But you can see yourself by trying.

I ended up buying stride rite sneakers online for my new walker, in a style not that different from what you posted. I tried many others first.

I believe Tucker and Tate at Nordstrom also make some flexible rubber sole shoes for new walkers, similar to stride rite. But not all their shoes are like that.

Thanks for your input. After hearing about Stride Rite store closings I was considering nordstrom. I think I still want to get him fitted since he's my first and I'm not familiar with this at all. Thanks for the heads-up to be assertive if I feel necessary.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for your input. After hearing about Stride Rite store closings I was considering nordstrom. I think I still want to get him fitted since he's my first and I'm not familiar with this at all. Thanks for the heads-up to be assertive if I feel necessary.

Defiantly get him fitted.
Ask around in your neighborhood if ppl recommend a certain store and/or person.
Not sure where you live and not every where has a good place to go.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
I've been to frum shoe stores and have seen moms so disappointed that they had to settle on a shoe they didn't love. The style they wanted were either sold out or didn't fit their child right. They threw bigger fits than the kids Rolling Laughter
I know my kids have difficult feet so I go to a place that fits really well. I tell the salesman what kind of shoes I am looking for and he brings out the options. My kids nix the ones they don't like and we are left with a small choice. Although there are much more adorable shoes on the shelves, I have to walk out with the ones that fit them best.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that you should go in with an open mind. First shoes are important to be a correct fit. See what they offer you and take it from there. You are going to be buying shoes for him for the next 18 years, so get used to it Very Happy

Thanks, yeah I'll deff go for fit over style if it comes to that! Lol I like the last sentence you said... so true. I'm horrible at deciding my own shoes as well (and most decisions in general)!

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 7:13 am
I didn't read the whole thread.
Whatever you do, the shoe shoe have a fairly flexible bottom so the foot can continue to develop. If it feels stiff and you can't bend the shoe a bit, stay away.
see
http://www.parenting.com/baby/.....lkers

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:17 pm
Thanks everyone. Went to Stride Rite. As dancingqueen said they're closing all of their stores. The blue ones were cute, but would have clashed with a bunch of his clothing, so I got a different color instead. (they are first walker, flexible-bottom shoes).
$17 since they're closing the store!

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:22 pm
I hadn't heard they were closing the stores! I didn't agree with the advice to have Stride Rite fit him, anyway. Stride Rite is very limited, even if all their shoes are not *exactly* the same, they only have their own shoes. And the "trained fitting professionals" thing is hogwash. People who have been running small local shoe shops for years acquire fitting skills as well as familiarity with all different types of shoes and feet. I once went to a stride rite store and there was nothing special about it at all.

I was always a "Tescher or bust" customer but now that Tescher is not working anymore, it's hard to find anyone who compares. I've found helpful staff here and there. Not at any chain stores though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics