Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Anemic toddler REFUSES to take iron
1  2  Next

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 8:58 am
Crying

I am so frustrated and worried. My toddler (almost 3) is anemic. He needs to take iron supplements. I've tried EVERY form, from the uncle moishy gummies to hiding the liquid drops in grape juice or even Snapple, but he refuses refuses refuses.
He doesn't eat much to begin with, so even if I try to give him iron rich foods, it doesn't help- he requires 3x the daily value, which would take an enormous amount of beef or green leafy veggies to achieve!
Help! I'm so sad and frustrated!

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:02 am
I have a severely anemic child who refused to take his iron. Have you consulted with a hematologist? Perhaps he can get an iron injection to help him equalize. Then ​you can continue working on the food end.

It is very hard to force a 2 year old to take anything

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:09 am
ectomorph wrote:
I have a severely anemic child who refused to take his iron. Have you consulted with a hematologist? Perhaps he can get an iron injection to help him equalize. Then ​you can continue working on the food end.

It is very hard to force a 2 year old to take anything

Pediatrician didn't mention a hematologist. Just said to give iron.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:18 am
Can you hide it in ice cream or a milk shake?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:19 am
What food DOES he eat? Try putting it in those foods.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:41 am
Are you using vitamins drops with iron, or actual, plain iron drops? The plain iron drops I've used for my kids in the past have been colorless and basically tasteless, and the dosage amount of very little. I used to feed my daughter her Her dinner and stick the dosage into the last bite.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:57 am
rachel6543 wrote:
Can you hide it in ice cream or a milk shake?

This is a great idea with many other medicines, but not so much with iron. For someone who's already iron-deficient, calcium inhibits iron absorption. If he'd eat a fruit smoothie with no added dairy or fake dairy, the vitamin C from most fruits helps maximize iron absorption.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:05 am
Have you checked out Spatone Pur Absorb powder? Here's a link-
https://www.amazon.com/Spatone.....A7U3K

HooRYou

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:36 am
I know how you feel since I also had this problem. I don't know where you live (or if everyone is going to say this is like poisoning my child) but here in Israel the pharmacy sells vitamins that are basically gummy bears. I used to cut them into tiny pieces. They must taste yummy since my toddler never spit those out.

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:50 am
I take spa tone packets that taste like apple juice. Would he drink them?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 11:42 am
I can't put it in yogurt or ice cream because calcium inhibits iron absorption.
The thing is that for about a week, he took the drops inside grape juice. But now he's suddenly putting up a fuss about it , saying its "dirty" and "ichy."

Maybe I'll try allowing him to play a game on my phone after he drinks it...

Super Mom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:36 pm
There is iron in eggs and tehina/ sesame. Would he eat any food made of these? Meatballs, meat cigars, chicken soup, Turkey soup-has a higher iron content than chicken. Chopped liver. Burger.

israel22

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:39 pm
does he take a bottle? my daughter drank it in her milk bottle that she had every morning..

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:21 pm
Super Mom wrote:
There is iron in eggs and tehina/ sesame. Would he eat any food made of these? Meatballs, meat cigars, chicken soup, Turkey soup-has a higher iron content than chicken. Chopped liver. Burger.

He's allergic to sesame, and was allergic to eggs until recently so he dislikes them.
I know which foods contain iron, the problem is he would never eat nearly enough to get the required amount of iron. He needs 3 times the recommended amount!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:21 pm
israel22 wrote:
does he take a bottle? my daughter drank it in her milk bottle that she had every morning..

Just water in a cup, and he will refuse to drink it if I put anything inside.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:19 pm
using a dropper, hold his head snug toward your chest & tilted half way back ... squirt to the back of throat ... give a chance to swallow - maybe 2 or three squirts ... have his favorite drink to chase the bad taste away

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:46 pm
greenfire wrote:
using a dropper, hold his head snug toward your chest & tilted half way back ... squirt to the back of throat ... give a chance to swallow - maybe 2 or three squirts ... have his favorite drink to chase the bad taste away

When I once mentioned doing that with medicine (antibiotics) people called me abusive...

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:10 pm
Have him take it guest thing in the a.m. when he wakes up hungry. Also give him some chewable vitamin C at the same time. It helps with absorption.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
When I once mentioned doing that with medicine (antibiotics) people called me abusive...

not if you're quick & slick ... if you fight him & scream and/or smack him ... yeah I would also call that abusive

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:02 pm
greenfire wrote:
not if you're quick & slick ... if you fight him & scream and/or smack him ... yeah I would also call that abusive

Of course I don't scream or smack, but I would have to fight him (hold him down and hold his mouth open). I would say something like "mommy loves you, this is just gong to make you feel better, the doctor said mommy has to give this to you..."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics