Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My daughter wants to go gluten free

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 7:58 am
and I'm being supportive but need 10 good packable lunch ideas. Any thoughts?

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 8:06 am
why does she want to be gluten free?

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:07 am
She gets headaches sometimes full on migraines. Sometimes just bad headaches. The doctor gave us a list of foods to avoid we are currently eliminating bananas. She read that removing gluten can help. I'm willing to try.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:16 am
1091 wrote:
She gets headaches sometimes full on migraines. Sometimes just bad headaches. The doctor gave us a list of foods to avoid we are currently eliminating bananas. She read that removing gluten can help. I'm willing to try.

Try removing MSG from her diet

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:18 am
You can get gf bread. You can also do rice cakes or corn thins in their place.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:24 am
You can buy snack packs of Way Better chips and pack with mini chummus or guacamole. That's what I used to do until I went off corn. Now I use rice cakes.

chenvchesed

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:28 am
I would not use the gluten substitutes too much. They are made of unhealthy ingredients that have a higher glycemic index than the regular grain items. Focus on whole foods like meats, eggs, fish, dairy, fruits, vegetables nuts and legumes.
Some lunch ideas:
Cut up vegetables with chummus or guacamole
Hard boiled eggs and cheese stick
Tuna or egg salad with rice thins on the side
Nitrate free hot dogs or deli
Quinoa salad

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 9:43 am
Thanks. That's what we've been coming up with. Day two no bananas and no headache. So maybe ....

We agreed to try until camp. Hard to be gluten free in camp.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:13 am
I'm chiming in because I had TERRIBLE migraines as a girl - beginning in around 5th or 6th grade. My mom schlepped me to every doctor, we tried all the medications, etc.

What FINALLY worked for me was an elimination diet for tyramine. My doctor gave me a list of foods that are high in tyramine, and I avoided them all for a year. My migraines stopped completely. I then slowly introduced some of the foods one by one and am now able to eat most on the list, though I'm generally aware of how much high-tyramine foods I consume and try to limit it. Yes, it was a year of no cheese, no chocolate, very little processed foods, etc.

I reduced my migraines from 4-5 bad ones each month to maybe one every three years. It was completely life-changing.

If your daughter is willing to try an elimination diet, while this isn't as fashionable as GF, I'd ask her doctor if this might be a good idea for her. It's my understanding that there was very little science to back this up when I did it back in the 1990's, but that there have been some studies in recent years showing that this is effective for some people.

Good luck, I really sympathize for your daughter. Migraines are SO SO hard and miserable.

Anon because I tell this to every person I know who has migraines or loves someone who does.

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
I'm chiming in because I had TERRIBLE migraines as a girl - beginning in around 5th or 6th grade. My mom schlepped me to every doctor, we tried all the medications, etc.

What FINALLY worked for me was an elimination diet for tyramine. My doctor gave me a list of foods that are high in tyramine, and I avoided them all for a year. My migraines stopped completely. I then slowly introduced some of the foods one by one and am now able to eat most on the list, though I'm generally aware of how much high-tyramine foods I consume and try to limit it. Yes, it was a year of no cheese, no chocolate, very little processed foods, etc.

I reduced my migraines from 4-5 bad ones each month to maybe one every three years. It was completely life-changing.

If your daughter is willing to try an elimination diet, while this isn't as fashionable as GF, I'd ask her doctor if this might be a good idea for her. It's my understanding that there was very little science to back this up when I did it back in the 1990's, but that there have been some studies in recent years showing that this is effective for some people.

Good luck, I really sympathize for your daughter. Migraines are SO SO hard and miserable.

Anon because I tell this to every person I know who has migraines or loves someone who does.

Thank you!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:53 am
Mimisinger wrote:
You can get gf bread. You can also do rice cakes or corn thins in their place.

Just be aware that none of the substitutes are likely to be as filling... In general I think it's harder to get full gf. (Spoken as someone who's been gf since before it was trendy.)

Oh, and bananas give me headaches! Sometimes I can get away with small amounts infrequently. I've never met anyone else who had this!

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 10:58 am
If eliminating bananas may have solved the problem, why remove gluten at this point?

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 11:47 am
amother wrote:
If eliminating bananas may have solved the problem, why remove gluten at this point?

I agree with you on this and am trying to get her Togo more slowly. In an effort to be sensitive to my teen who feels we aren't always responsive when it comes to these things, I'm game on trying. I don't want food to become a battle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics