Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What age would you allow a child to sleep in the basement?

lakewooder

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:17 pm
What age do you think is appropriate for a child to have a bedroom in the basement?

I have 3 bedrooms upstairs and 2 in the basement. I have 2 kids in one room and 3 in the other. At what age is appropriate for a girl to have her own room in the basement?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:29 pm
Does girl want to? Do you sense she needs more privacy? I'd say around bas mitzvah, I as the mother would be comfortable.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:39 pm
There's no door there, right? So why not? it's like being on another floor... Maybe there's a cultural thing I don't understand? or are you worried about sunlight??

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:43 pm
When they're old enough that they want to and don't feel scared, and old enough to know what to do and how to leave the house in case of emergency like fire.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:43 pm
Does your basement have an exit to the outside?

If not...then never.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:57 pm
Chayalle wrote:

If not...then never.

I don't understand this.
When living in a house then there's never an exit upstairs (sometime two floors up) where the bedrooms are located. In apartment buildings where I live then the exits to outside are also only on the ground floor.

Why is a basement any different?

Stars

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
I don't understand this.
When living in a house then there's never an exit upstairs (sometime two floors up) where the bedrooms are located. Why is a basement any different?
I

There are windows to jump out from in case of fire on the upstairs floors. In a basement without an entrance, if there was a fire upstairs you'd be trapped with no way out.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:05 pm
Stars wrote:
I

There are windows to jump out from in case of fire on the upstairs floors. In a basement without an entrance, if there was a fire upstairs you'd be trapped with no way out.

I hear, didn't think of that.
Though on the other hand, jumping out windows from floors higher up is often as much of a danger in itself.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:06 pm
Stars wrote:
I

You can put egress windows in a basement for an emergency exit. That's what we have in our house.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:59 pm
I have full size windows in my basement that swing down fully as an emergency exit. The outside grates are not screwed in.
I have all my children in one bedroom upstairs. I would love for some to move down where I have more bedrooms. They sometimes try it for a few days and then change their mind.
So my answer is whenever they are ready.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
I don't understand this.
When living in a house then there's never an exit upstairs (sometime two floors up) where the bedrooms are located. In apartment buildings where I live then the exits to outside are also only on the ground floor.

Why is a basement any different?

Standard building code in the US is that a bedroom needs two exits, a window and a door suffice. If the distance from the upstairs window to the ground is an issue, buy an escape ladder and practice with your kids.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:01 am
I have never seen escape ladders on houses or buildings. But again, not American.

lakewooder

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:17 am
Chayalle wrote:

If not...then never.

There is a side door at the top of the steps, plus each room has a window that is made to be able to open and climb out in case of an emergency.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:17 am
If you take care of the safety concerns, whatever age you want. In addition to an egress window in the bedroom (not the tiny windows you see in many basements), make sure you have functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors down there, have a fire escape plan, and run a fire drill occasionally. Your daughter needs to be able to open the egress window and get out of the house.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:47 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I have never seen escape ladders on houses or buildings. But again, not American.

That's because the are inside the room when not in use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children