Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you bring hostess gift when you're giong to your parents?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:06 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Perhaps we were all brought up not to go empty handed when you are going to somebody's home.

This.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:27 pm
We're family not guests so we pitch in rather than bring gifts.

If we go for a Shabbos or Yom Tov then we bring edible contributions to the meals. That usually involves cooking or baking or making a specialty that my mom or MIL appreciates but doesn't have patience to make.

For Pesach we don't bring anything but we help a lot while we're there. My mom actually has a Pesach kitchen so I go help her before Y"T. I have certain dishes I make every year that my mom waits for me to come take care of because they're a patchke. I also will help peel and chop veggies so my mom can make soups and stuff faster.

Sometimes we chip in with siblings for a nice flower arrangement, which the mothers appreciate. They would be upset if we actually bought them housewares or whatnot. My mom especially has everything so organized that she doesn't have space for more chatchkas. She would end up getting rid of something she already owns in order to make room for new stuff.

We don't bring wine or matza either. If we were going to a non family member or a sibling rather than parents then maybe we would. My parents for sure don't want any leftover matza once Pesach is over.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:28 pm
Double post

amother
Red

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:48 pm
Things my kids bring to me:
Pre- Checked lettuce, cabbage, spinach etc. (this is a huge gift)
Corn beef (here it's $18 lb)
Pictures printed and framed
And the grand kids.(the best gift)

I live OOT, you don't know what a help having pre checked is for me.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:17 pm
If I go to my parents for a meal, I bring a bottle of wine or flowers. If I stay a whole (or half) yom tov then I try to bring something more significant if I can think of something they'd appreciate. Otherwise just the wine and flowers, maybe some nice chocolates or a cake (when not Pesach). It's a lot of work to make and host yom tov and I always want to show my appreciation.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 4:20 pm
I'm on the other end. Kids come to me. I much prefer their help to any gift they might bring. And I really prefer they don't bring gifts as at my point in life, I've just got too much "stuff".

cm

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
We're family not guests so we pitch in rather than bring gifts.

This.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 5:12 pm
I enjoy cooking a lot so I usually bring wtvr they want cooking wise. For pesach I am actually turning over just to cook for them. (I know I am nuts) my mother turns over really late and I want to make things earlier.
For pesach I usually do all desserts. Egg noodles and anything else I want to do. My mother likes to buy me ingredients but I don't always let her. (I live close by)
Mil. I bring nothing. She won't serve anything I make anyways.....she says we wasteland money when I bring a gift....so I don't bother. Once in a gift while I find something small and bring it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics