Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Possibly moving out of New York

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:18 pm
So we are considering moving to New Jersey this summer. My husband is very unhappy where we are now because all of his friends have moved away. They all moved out of the city and into suburban neighborhoods. One friend took his family and moved to New Jersey 3 years ago. My husband is pretty serious about making this move. We already spent a weekend by our friends and we loved the neighborhood. We saw a house that we liked, which we just put an offer on. We have looked at several schools for our daughter. We have really been trying to do our homework before making the final decision to move. The biggest obstacle, I think, is the fact that I don't drive. I can't see living in the suburbs being easy without a license. I have been taking a few practice tests to study for my permit so I can start taking driving lessons. However, I am very content where we currently are. I never got a license because I never needed one here. Everything is walking distance. My husband said that I am content here because I know nothing else. I feel like this move would be a huge change that I hope I can get used to. The thing is that we can't afford a house in our current neighborhood. You go out of New York and you get so much more bang for your buck. Any advice from anyone who has moved to a suburban neighborhood from the city would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:31 pm
I grew up in NJ and now live in NY

my husband is dying to move to the suburbs

you can't compare quality of life - a house for the kids to have space, a backyard, a front yard, a garage or driveway. no searching for parking for hours late at night and then getting parking tickets. no shlepping up apartment stairs with the kids. you can go to the grocery store and buy pasta and ketchup that isn't jewish overpriced. you can go shopping without having to shlep on the subway, or driving there and trying to find parking. customer service is way better out of ny.

of course, you will have to learn to drive. you must or you basically get none of the oot perks (see the other thread where op says she has no friends, maybe bc she doesnt drive).

I think your husband is right - you are content bc you know nothing else. that's ridiculous it's like the mashal of the family being happy living in the dungeon bc they never saw the outside world and didn't know what they were missing out on.

yes NY is convenient for many in terms of family, kosher food, social life. as soon as you are raising a family though, it's not doable in today's economy re housing prices. suburbia is the way to go

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:37 pm
gosharuni ~ it's only new jersey ... you can visit the chaos whenever you want

learn to drive ...🚗

your blood pressure will go lower

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:43 pm
I grew up in the "City". We live in the suburbs now. Driving is a real struggle for me. I've been doing it for a number of year and it's still a struggle. Can't parallel park- somehow was able to do it for the test, no idea how. The anxiety, the panic, the stress- I can go on. The need to drive and the lack of ability to walk everywhere is by far the biggest downside for me so I get it I really truly do. That being said I feel like the life my children are having is so much more wholesome then what I had and I don't regret not living in New York. We tried NJ but it actually wasn't OOT enough for us so we moved somewhere where there isn't even a sidewalk in front of my house- huge pet peeve of mine! but I would still recommend people making the move Wink

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:53 pm
There are some towns in NJ where you could survive without driving, but driving really, really helps. It is much easier to drive in the burbs than in the city, so keep that in mind.

israeli83

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up in the "City". We live in the suburbs now. Driving is a real struggle for me. I've been doing it for a number of year and it's still a struggle. Can't parallel park- somehow was able to do it for the test, no idea how. The anxiety, the panic, the stress- I can go on. The need to drive and the lack of ability to walk everywhere is by far the biggest downside for me so I get it I really truly do. That being said I feel like the life my children are having is so much more wholesome then what I had and I don't regret not living in New York. We tried NJ but it actually wasn't OOT enough for us so we moved somewhere where there isn't even a sidewalk in front of my house- huge pet peeve of mine! but I would still recommend people making the move Wink

Your driving experience sounds like mine LOL . I also have a driving license, but I'm not "experienced" enough. Last year, I had to drive to take the kids to school and I was terrified, but I managed. I can drive in streets, but not happy about highways... and parking is always a challenge! This year, the kids are within walking distance of school so I don't need to drive. But if we move to a suburb one day, I'll have to go back and learn to drive and face my fears again...aaah... but it does make a difference when you know how to drive to take your kids places.

To the amother who started the thread... I still live in NYC and would love to move to a suburb one day. If your husband already agrees, you have a house offer etc...I say go for it! You need to learn how to drive. I have a driving license but don't use it because I'm within walking distance to everything and now I'm not experienced to drive...I need to go back to it. So just take lots of lessons and learn how to drive and eventually you'll get used to it and you'll see how it's helpful, especially if you're moving to a suburb.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 5:12 pm
A lot of the stuff I hate about driving is busy city driving related. Suburban driving is really much easier. In any case, you don't drive yet, so you have no idea if you will like it or not.

My sister used to live in NJ about a ten minute walk from a supermarket, stores and restaurants. Maybe look for a location that you can at least walk some places so you won't feel too cut off if it takes you a while to get a license.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 7:11 pm
Maybe a bike with a kiddie seat attached?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 7:23 pm
I grew up in ny and we currently live in the suburbs.
while I love it overall, and the quality of life is great for us, and we have space and all the perks everyone talks about are 100% true.

but one thing I cant stand and have not gotten used to? not walking to do an errand.
when you grow up in ny, you walk a few minutes to get a bottle of milk, to the pharmacy, wtvr and I can't stand that im always in my car.

but ya, everything else kinda trumps that aspect.
good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating