Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
So bored of my menu

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 8:58 am
Having 3 yeshiva bochrim and a family with younger children for Shabbat lunch. I know I have plenty of food that everyone will enjoy- gefilte fish, salad, deli roll, carrot muffin, roasted zucchini, potato kugel chicken and chulent- but I feel like I make the same thing all the time- sometimes I swap out the deli roll for apple crisp. Any new ideas????? No nuts or sesame seed allowed.

self-actualization

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:48 am
Taco making? Seasoned cooked chopped meat, served warm(?), with avocados, tomatoes, corn, beans, salsa, tacos ... I have seen this around and have made it without the meat, as a salad, with salsa & mayo as the dressing.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:10 am
eema1 wrote:
Having 3 yeshiva bochrim and a family with younger children for Shabbat lunch. I know I have plenty of food that everyone will enjoy- gefilte fish, salad, deli roll, carrot muffin, roasted zucchini, potato kugel chicken and chulent- but I feel like I make the same thing all the time- sometimes I swap out the deli roll for apple crisp. Any new ideas????? No nuts or sesame seed allowed.

You can leave the gefilte fish, cholent and potato kugel and swap out some of the other stuff.

Chef's salad with slivered deli on top
Potato salad
Cole slaw
Roasted green beans
Grilled chicken over teriyaki style noodles (you can skip the sesame

JAWSCIENCE

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:01 am
For Friday night I like a chicken marsala but I don't like to reheat for shabbat day.

For the day have you considered different types of potato other than kugel? like Hasselback Potato> or trying sweet potato?
I also like to be more creative with salad that can be made fresh during the day. Or small appetizers like sefardim have. It's because not a lot food handles the reheating that shabbat food needs.

Super Mom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:32 pm
Try meat lasagna, mousaka, stuffed vegetables, Buffalo wings, there is a whole range of Sefardi soups that are full meals that you put on the Plata before shabbat and serve over couscous. Beef cigars, chicken pie. Our favorite is Indian food but it's spicy for the kids. We had delicious meatloaf last shabbat.

Ilovemaryland

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:43 pm
Chinese food

Moo goo gai pan
Lo mein
Brocoli and stir fry always hits the spot

cbg

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 4:03 pm
I had a friend who use to take jarred Gefilta fish and fry them.
I don't know why, but it only tastes good with jarred Gefilta fish.
Usually I would say yuck to Gefilta fish, but this is really good.

You cut the Gefilta fish in 1/2 the long way.
Egg and any type of crumb, I like cornflake.
Fry
Serve room temp with sweet n sour sauce

For something easy and different than cholent, I like to serve chicken and rice.
I've made this before left in a low temp oven all night, delicious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics