Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How often do your kids get new eyeglasses?
1  2  Next

How often do your kids get new eyeglasses?
Once A year  
 30%  [ 8 ]
Twice A year  
 26%  [ 7 ]
More often  
 3%  [ 1 ]
Less often  
 38%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 26

Stars

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:20 am
And about how much do you spend each time?

Specifically young kids- under the age of ten

sky

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:37 am
My insurance cover new lenses once a year and frames every two years.
I have a $10 co pay on the frames and only get glasses that are fully covered.
We try to keep to that schedule.
The store I buy my glasses from gives a year warranty with one free repair on most frames - which we've used - hopefully won't need more often repairs.
3 kids in glasses 10 and under.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:49 am
I have one child under 10 who needs glasses. He's had the same two pairs since he started wearing them, since about 3 or 4. He's had the lenses changed a few times though. He has an eye doctor appointment next week iy'h and if she says to change the lenses again, we'll probably get him a new pair of glasses also. Now he has the ones for children, unbreakable and elastic in the back. He's old enough to have a different type now. His other pair, which is a regular pair, he wears only on shabbos and yom tov.

yogabird

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:48 pm
My daughter is 5, started wearing glasses less than a year ago, and is on her second pair. The first one time in a way that was not covered by the warranty. Each pair cost about 140. There was nothing available in her size for less than that. We checked a few stores.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:44 pm
We usually have eye tests every 1-2 years. The shop we use has a buy one get one free offer on glasses, so we probably spend about $100 for 2 pairs.

sourstix

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:52 pm
wow you people really dont spend much on glasses. my ds has and they were so expensive. I paid close to 200$ and that was with the insurance. I couldnt find anything he was comfortable to wear. I cant get him stuff hes not gonna wear. really it was his second in one year. but hes really good with his glasses. wasnt his fault. I go once a year.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:23 pm
sourstix wrote:
wow you people really dont spend much on glasses. my ds has and they were so expensive. I paid close to 200$ and that was with the insurance. I couldnt find anything he was comfortable to wear. I cant get him stuff hes not gonna wear. really it was his second in one year. but hes really good with his glasses. wasnt his fault. I go once a year.

My son is in glasses for about a 1 and a half years and he's on his 4th pair. He outgrew the first one, second one was practically free and I didnt like them, so when his prescription changed we got new ones and those recently broke (not his fault) so he got his 4th pair but thankfully they were covered by a warranty.

Glasses are expensive.

smilealot

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 6:30 pm
Glasses are expensive and worth it.
The cheap baby ones look special needs. It's very hard to find for a toddler under £100!

littleprincess

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 6:34 pm
In England we get them for free. There's a very nice selection. Depending on how often the child needs a check up.. . Sometimes u can get free glasses twice a year. Also when they break u get a new one free of charge. This is only with the insurance frames but they have really nice and up to date one's
Recently I took for my children frames from out of the insurance but insurance covered almost the entire thing. My children are quit careful and don't really ruin their frames. She's 12 and 7

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:18 pm
Luvme wrote:
The cheap baby ones look special needs. It's very hard to find for a toddler under £100!

Tell me about it. My son got his at ten months. I did get him miraflex (they're nowhere near cheap though) because I needed it to be flexible, he was pulling it off a lot. Now that he's two we had very limited options this time around.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:20 pm
Luvme wrote:

Tell me about it. My son got his at ten months. I did get him miraflex (they're nowhere near cheap though) because I needed it to be flexible, he was pulling it off a lot. Now that he's two we had very limited options this time around

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 8:41 pm
yogabird wrote:
My daughter is 5, started wearing glasses less than a year ago, and is on her second pair. The first one time in a way that was not covered by the warranty. Each pair cost about 140. There was nothing available in her size for less than that. We checked a few stores.

Almost the same. Child got glasses at are 4 1/2. Complicated prescription and some what sensory so bought expensive flexible frames with warrenty. Jersey care did not cover much of it as total was about $400 and they covered about $100. They broke. Were replaced for free. 9 months later, because of growth spurt, prescription changed drastically and she out grew frames. Insurance paid for nothing because less than a year and we had to shell out another $350. Have another opthalmologist appointment soon and praying prescription hasn't changed again.

Marion

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 3:05 pm
When they need them? The kupat cholim coverage allows 1 pair/year for a ridiculously low copay of 70NIS. (Before they added that benefit, the first two years DS#1 was in glasses, we went through 8 or 9 pairs at 4-600NIS PER PAIR. It was an expensive two years.) DS#1 and DS#2 both just had their prescriptions changed, so they got 2 pairs each. Hopefully that's it for a while.

smilealot

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 3:36 pm
Littleprincess, yes they have free ones here in England but have u ever tried getting free ones for a toddler? There is only those round ones that go round the ear and look gross and they break the first day.
Also for older kids, I'd love to know if where u get them from for free they properly fit them coz where I go for free they always seem to be falling down their noses...

littleprincess

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 4:32 pm
Luvme wrote:
Littleprincess, yes they have free ones here in England but have u ever tried getting free ones for a toddler? There is only those round ones that go round the ear and look gross and they break the first day.
Also for older kids, I'd love to know if where u get them from for free they properly fit them coz where I go for free they always seem to be falling down their noses...

I use Silverman in Stamford hill. I heard Specsavers has nice ones as well.
I never had a toddler with glasses but my dd has a 2 beautiful fashionable glasses

Stars

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 8:42 pm
Luvme they don't sell miraflex in England? Those are cute and practically unbreakable. If you want a knockoff brand of a similar type for a tenth of the price you can get Enzo on aliexpress and have them filled locally. Also unbreakable but I got a few of those (the same one so the lenses could be re-used) to have backups just in case .

smilealot

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 8:51 pm
Stars I'm not sure what u mean. The only unbreakables that I found were over £100!
Are those the ones you mean?
How do u get the ones that are cheaper? Online?

Stars

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 8:56 pm
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/ite.....ostay

These are the ones, and I took them to my local store for the lenses. You have to make sure the size is right because they don't take returns. Pm me if you need more help.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 6:01 pm
http://www.zennioptical.com/ki.....w=all

I've had good luck & bad luck with them ... also if it's a high prescription or progressive or anything extra ... it will cost extra $$

Stars

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 8:12 pm
Zenni is great but they don't have the really small sizes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics