Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Going out without your phone
1  2  Next

Your feelings when you leave without your phone for about an hour or so.
lost and/or bored  
 19%  [ 40 ]
free  
 24%  [ 51 ]
nothing  
 19%  [ 41 ]
other  
 5%  [ 11 ]
nervous  
 30%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 207

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:54 am
How do you feel when you leave without your phone, or how would you feel Wink ? Whether it's for a few minutes or an hour or more.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:57 am
A little nervous, if it's a weekday- like what if I need to call an ambulance or my child's babysitter needs to reach me. Somehow that doesn't affect me on Shabbos, though.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:09 pm
Nervous.
What happens if I have a crash or get lost or get hurt or get jumped and I need to call for help?
What happens if I get stuck somewhere and need to call for a car service or an uber?
What happens if if if.....

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:11 pm
Alone or with other people?

Alone, I don't like it. With other people who have a phone, it's fine. Sometimes I can focus better on spending quality time if I don't have a phone with me.

animeme

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:16 pm
I learned through hard way that now that there are cell phones, you are expected to be able to reached almost instantly by your kids' schools and caregivers. One of my kids fell and broke a bone in school about 7 years ago. My phone wasn't working and it took the school a little over an hour to reach me, and they were not happy.

And that's aside from my own need to be reachable at all times in case something happens to one of my kids or parents.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:17 pm
Mine has been broken for the past few months. So as long as I have a watch, I'm good.
Mine is a kosher phone, so it doesn't do much anyway.

PassionFruit

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:26 pm
Nervous--in case of emergency

fiji

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:53 pm
Nervous- I'm wondering if I got any important calls, texts... Also, what if I have to make an important call...?!

sourstix

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:55 pm
uch I hate phones. I hate how attached I am to it. because I never know if any of my kids schools need to call or dh. but no choice. no I dont worry if I will need to call hatzola, there will always be someone who will.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:59 pm
The only reason I feel nervous is for a car breakdown. The one time I forgot my phone to run to the post office, my car died and I had to borrow a cell phone to call the AAA. So that makes me vigilant.

I am less worried about missing a message since I wouldn't be without a phone for a long period of time.

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:02 pm
I love going out without my phone and just enjoying the scenery!

(No kids.)

rachel6543

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:15 pm
I dislike going without my phone, like to have for emergencies.

When I first started driving I once hit a pothole and blew a tired in the pouring rain on a very dangerous busy street. Thank goodness I had a cell phone to call triple AAA to fix my tire, because I was stranded in a dangerous spot where there was no sidewalk and it was 1-2 miles in the rain to the nearest store or house.

Once I was in a meeting with my manager and my child's school called. I don't usually answer the phone at work meetings, but since it was my kid's school, I answered, and of course my kid was injured and needed to go the ER for stitches.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:20 pm
sequoia wrote:
I love going out without my phone and just enjoying the scenery!

(No kids.)

Ditto. In fact I seldom take it with me.

dina125

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:25 pm
I actually don't have a cell phone, believe it or not. I felt it was an unnecessary expense. I have my home phone when I need to make a call & when I'm out, I'm just not reachable for that time - I'm ok with that!

life is fun

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 6:36 pm
I often take my phone with me but am ok to go out without. As I don't use it a lot when I'm out anyway. Only when I need it.
We managed pre mobile times too but I do admit that it can be very helpful.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 6:40 pm
I never leave the house without my phone.
What could be so urgent? Hopefully nothing. I just can't fathom being without it.

Miri7

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:01 pm
If I leave it intentionally, then I'm all good. But if I leave it by accident and I don't have all my kids with me then I feel lost and worry that there will be an emergency and no one will be able to reach me.

One huge side benefit is shabbat in this day and age is unplugging for a while day each week. I can't imagine life without that lovely break. Some weeks I just don't even turn my phone back on until Sunday morning. If someone really needs me they will call the house motzei Shabbat.

pizza4

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:16 pm
I voted free but more like, ha, noone can reach me now, just gotta manage on your own. But I'm never really unavailable like that for long.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 8:31 pm
It depends on context for me. Like how far I'm going or how far I've gone before I realize. If I'm in my own neighborhood and my kids are either with me or solidly in school I feel somewhere between free and only-slightly-uneasy. Also, one option not given is "annoyed." As in "I'd be OK with not having my phone EXCEPT that it would be REALLY convenient right now to use waze, tell DH to get something where he is before he leaves, ask DH if I need to get something where I am before I leave, remind my mother not to give DD ketchup because it makes her irritated... but not enough to bother borrowing someone else's phone. So I think my answer would be "annoyed and mildly nervous."

Kumphort

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:03 pm
As I was reading this post earlier this afternoon I put my phone down and accidentally, for the first time in years left my phone at home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics