Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Gifts for teachers

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:38 am
While in reality I truly want to be properly makir tov to my children's teachers, I know how hard they work as I used to be a teacher. However, in all honesty we finally caught up with tuition w/our tax refund, we just gave for their Purim campaign, we gave for the Chanuka presents, and hope to support a different fundraiser. I know that none of this goes directly to the teachers and I know that pesach is an expensive time--we have our own expenses including 3 days of pre-pesach camp, but their suggestion is $36/child and we have more than one child in the school. What to do?

cnc

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:46 am
I would send in just a nice thank you note if you can't afford $.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:03 am
what was the Purim fundraiser for? Aren't Teacher salaries are the schools biggest expense? Can't the fund raiser go to giving teachers a holiday bonus check?

I'm not sure how giving the teacher a cash gift suggested by the school accomplishes "makir tov". If I was a teacher receiving this $36, I would be thankful - but also just see the parent doing what the school told them to do...I wouldn't get the "warm fuzzy" feeling at all. A beautifully written card would go a lot further...

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:07 am
Its probably divided among the morning/afternoon teachers & assistants (preschool), I know that teachers don't make a lot in a yeshiva and every little bit helps make y"t. The fundraiser is through the PTA--probably helps "other" programs, but I don't know for a fact and it probably gets siphoned down through the school over the course of the year.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
Its probably divided among the morning/afternoon teachers & assistants (preschool), I know that teachers don't make a lot in a yeshiva and every little bit helps make y"t. The fundraiser is through the PTA--probably helps "other" programs, but I don't know for a fact and it probably gets siphoned down through the school over the course of the year.

Oh I see. PTA fundraiser is different than school fundraiser. PTA doesn't pay salaries.

Its wonderful that you want to help the teachers with their YT expenses - but your family needs take priority to that. The teachers are not your employees. Do what makes sense for your family.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:37 pm
Give what you can afford, period. Ish kematnat yado. And a sincere note of appreciation made as personal and specific as possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics