Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you hire? What can you tell me?
Previous  1  2

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 11:02 am
Be on time for the interview. In fact, be a few minutes early so that you can use the restroom to ensure that your clothing and hair are OK.

Dress appropriately for the job. A suit, or blazer and skirt, with simple jewelry and conservative pumps. Not too much makeup, not a lot of perfume.

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 12:49 pm
The advice here is interesting. I think a lot of it is subjective. I was told to never include references on a resume by a professional career couch and the first job I got actually included a very personal conversation about an interviewer, but it obviously depends on the culture of the workplace and the personality of the interviewer. Many people also told me they never read cover letters. Recruiters usually like buzz words, although obviously not in excess

I think that after you go over all this advice you should remind the ladies that sometimes you can do everything right and not get the job. A lot of it is chemistry, which is either there or not, like in dating, and sometimes you can be the perfect candidate but they decide the timing is not right on their end or they need to hire an internal candidate or they actually need to hire their cousin who just lost his job. Try your best and don't blame yourself if it doesn't work out. It's not always about you.

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 4:17 pm
Be early in case you need to complete an application. Come with information on references in case it's required in the application. Bring a pen to complete it. Bring paper in case you need to take notes. You can't take out your phone.

If you are seated when the interviewer walks into the room stand up and greet them. I will leave to you how to counsel on shaking hands.

Thank you cards are lovely. Handwritten onesstand out to me. Or ones that recap a portion of the interview to reiterate a point. keep short and sweet. Have someone read for typos and readability. You can lose a job on a thank you note.

Understand every word in your resume. If you say you audited Fortune 500 companies make sure you know what that means and you can provide examples. Same with if you say you're interest is handgliding.

No discussing anything personal. I know women who leave their rings home. Don't discuss children, having children, marital status, age or religion. The initial interview is not the place to discuss leaving early Fridays or a scheduled vacation. These questions are illegal to be asked. You do not need to volunteer the information.

If it's a lunch interview, make sure they know you eat kosher. Tell them the same way you would if you were vegan or celiac. Don't make a big deal about it. Ask if they want recommendations. Do not recommend a place that super expensive.

Be polite from the minute you walk in to the minute you leave. You don't know who is in the elevator with you or standing at the check in counter in the building.

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 4:22 pm
Forgot to add appearances count. Wear your shabbos coat. And a suit or a blazer if it's separates. Buy one if you have to. And it's not the time to be super in. Dress to the opportunity. Finance opportunities demand conservatism. IT roles tshirts with slogans (not really kidding but don't wear that in an interview). I think you get my point.

I was asked today at work heels or flats. Consensus was heels but not the sky high ones we see today. And make sure you can walk in them.

Check your appearance before you walk into the building.

ROFL

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 6:23 pm
I once got a resume that had an email address of sexymoma@ whatever it wa s

Make sure your email is a professional one !
With social media if I see your Facebook has a picture that has a caption " got so wasted last night " I will not offer you an interview even if your resume hits every point that I need !

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 9:07 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I put resumes with typos, grammatical errors, and/or inconsistent grammatical tenses to the bottom of the pile. I also google every candidate and look them up on social media. And yes, I judge them based on what I see. People should make sure their social media accounts are private, and that whatever is in the public domain wouldn't be construed as a negative by a hiring manager.

I don't have a common name, yet there is one person on facebook that has the same name as me. I'm not even on facebook.

nicole81

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have a common name, yet there is one person on facebook that has the same name as me. I'm not even on facebook.

It's not just about the name. Location, education, and other factors clue me in as to the candidate's identity.

Simple1

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:13 pm
1091 wrote:

I was asked today at work heels or flats. Consensus was heels but not the sky high ones we see today. And make sure you can walk in them.

Really? A nice loafer isn't good enough? Seems a little sexist. But I don't work in the professional world, so what do I know.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics