Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to make my resume look better-too many jobs

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:12 pm
I'm trying to find a new job but I think my resume looks really bad because I've had too many jobs. I have a bachelor's degree and 2 master's so over a period of ten years that I've been in school, I had almost as many jobs. I switched jobs based on relevance to grad school and scheduling. I feel like it's not good for my resume that I switched jobs so frequently. How can I make it look and sound better?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:18 pm
How many jobs did you have over what period of time? Were they all relevant to the job you are applying for? Are the skills you used on those jobs transferrable to the job you are applying for?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:21 pm
I've had 8 jobs in about 10 years. They're all relevant to the type of job that I'm applying for. I spent my years in school getting relevant experience, not waiting tables in McDonalds. Very Happy

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
I've had 8 jobs in about 10 years. They're all relevant to the type of job that I'm applying for. I spent my years in school getting relevant experience, not waiting tables in McDonalds. Very Happy

So why do you think that your experience can beat out someone who say stays at a job for 3 years? You know the field you're looking at, what is the general frame of mind of employers when it comes to length of previous employment?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:32 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
So why do you think that your experience can beat out someone who say stays at a job for 3 years? You know the field you're looking at, what is the general frame of mind of employers when it comes to length of previous employment?

I think they're seeking consistency. So while my experience is all relevant, it isn't consistent. I guess what I want to know is, how can I highlight my strengths and good experience in a way that will make my multiple jobs not seem like a big deal.

eta: My previous employers, for the most part, remember me and have always given glowing recommendations. The problem is getting new employers to get in touch with them Smile

agreer

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:38 pm
Can you lump them together by type of experience?

For example, if you were a student teacher at 4 schools in 5 years, you can say:
Student teacher - Multiple Locations - 2010-2015 and then list the highlights of your accomplishments.

I've done that for myself and B"H I don't think it's an issue.

imeinu

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 7:53 pm
amother wrote:
I'm trying to find a new job but I think my resume looks really bad because I've had too many jobs. I have a bachelor's degree and 2 master's so over a period of ten years that I've been in school, I had almost as many jobs. I switched jobs based on relevance to grad school and scheduling. I feel like it's not good for my resume that I switched jobs so frequently. How can I make it look and sound better?

As an employer, I'd be concerned if the job you are applying for has nothing to do with your degree. That would be a red flag for me in addition to the fact that you hopped around a bit.

I usually run through a resume with a potential employee which gives them a chance to explain to me why they went from job a to job b. I'd focus on the relevant to grad school aspect, not the scheduling.

queenert

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 2:18 am
Also, when mentioning skills, you can throw in some responsibility/consistency type things that you learned/naturally have.

little_mage

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 3:37 am
OP, it sounds like you're just finishing school. If that's true, then your school probably has a career center that can help with your resume.

shatzileh

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 5:46 am
If all the jobs were relevant and the previous employers think highly of you, it sounds like you kept each job for a short period of time for good reason. If you enumerate each company you worked for, and each position, include in the description something that indicates why your tenure there was so short. For example, "Relevant Position, Fall Intern" or "Relevant Position, Contractor." Resume reviewers will know how to interpret that, and thse who don't will be missing on great candidates.

I do like the idea of lumping similar things together, per agreer.

MyUsername

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 6:42 am
Make sure to write a cover letter! This gives you a chance to say what you think your strengths are and explain why your work experience is the way it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics