Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Housekeeping woes

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 8:24 pm
I'm not the best housekeeper. In my zealousness I've used Brillo to clean my stovetop and scratched the finish. I've destroyed my wood floors. Whatever. I'm learning through my mistakes I guess. I'd like to buy a fresh mop before Pesach but not sure which type to get. I have a sponge mop now but I cannot figure out how to change the head. Any specific type or brand that stands out above the rest?
Any brooms that also are really good? Or should I just get whatever my local hardware store has on display?

lizard8

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 8:44 pm
google should be your best friend to familiarize yourself with your flooring and house finishings and what products to use with them.

Hardwood- should be used with only wood floor cleaners. Some people use murphey oil with a mop, and others swear by bona. I like to use the rubbermaid reveal spray mop with bona cleaner.

Tile- Can be cleaned with mr. clean or similar products. A washable mop head is great, but any decent quality one is ok. I like to use the rubbermaid reveal spray mop (2nd one, but the clean cloths I interchange) for quick cleanup.

Carpet- should be vacuumed twice a week. Clean any stains right away (again google should direct you according to stain)

brooms- a good wide angled broom like casabella and libman. I think target sells both.

Bathrooms- can be wiped with disinfecting wipes daily, with heavy cleaning twice a week (depends on the use). Be sure to clean the grout to prevent mold from growing.

Also clean your kitchen cabinets and hardware, doors light switches etc. regularly.

Use scents you like to enjoy cleaning

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:08 pm
Thx lizard8! I do google my questions but sometimes there are conflicting suggestions and sometimes you just need advice from people who get what cooking for shabbos with company almost every week will do to your stovetop.
Do you have a good mop recommendation?

imeinu

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:24 pm
I also need a new mop and am not sure what to buy. sometimes I ask my cleaning help what type they prefer. (my current one often puts a shmattah on an old broom and keeps washing & wringing out the shamattah. different strokes for different folks...
One thing that is important regardless of brand or type is that you air it out and store it in a way that can dry without developing mildew. change mop heads frequently, some are washable, and store the mop upside down or put outside after using to dry quicker.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry