Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Melting chocolate

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:49 pm
Wanted to make bark and chocolate mousse but don't have the greatest track record when it comes to melting chocolate...
any foolproof method? I'm always burning it.
Also, what's the best company/ type of choc to use? I have the alpine baking type or Torino (those are truffle filled, can I still use them?)
Tia!

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 1:26 am
It's best to melt chocolate in a microwave. If you don't have a microwave then use a double boiler on a really low, even flame (don't keep switching it) and make sure to keep stirring it so It doesn't burn. The best type of chocolate to use it a good quality baking chocolate (do not use chocolate chips)

oliveoil

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 1:36 am
Double boiler works best. You'll need a bowl and a lot. Fill the pot with an inch or so of water. The bowl should be able to sit over the pot without touching the water.

Put the chocolate in the bowl. Turn the flame to high until the water comes to a boil, then reduce to medium-low. The heat from the boiling water will gently melt your chocolate. Be careful not to get any water in the chocolate or it will seize.

For best taste, use chocolate you would buy to eat.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 3:54 am
In a pinch, I have put crushed chocolate in a freezer bag and put the bag in boiling water. After a couple minutes it's beautifully melted. Cut a hole in the corner and squeeze it where you need it. You can put the butter in the bag with it an squish them together.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 3:11 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Double boiler works best. You'll need a bowl and a lot. Fill the pot with an inch or so of water. The bowl should be able to sit over the pot without touching the water.

Put the chocolate in the bowl. Turn the flame to high until the water comes to a boil, then reduce to medium-low. The heat from the boiling water will gently melt your chocolate. Be careful not to get any water in the chocolate or it will seize.

For best taste, use chocolate you would buy to eat.

Thanksfor replying.
Would u use the Torino with truffle filling? Do I add oil to the choc?

cbg

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 6:47 pm
Iymnok wrote:
In a pinch, I have put crushed chocolate in a freezer bag and put the bag in boiling water. After a couple minutes it's beautifully melted. Cut a hole in the corner and squeeze it where you need it. You can put the butter in the bag with it an squish them together.

Wow I love this idea.

yksraya

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 9:54 pm
Iymnok wrote:

I do that to. I don't crush the chocolate tho. If need be, I refill the bowl with more hot water (from urn).

shanie5

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
Thanksfor replying.
Would u use the Torino with truffle filling? Do I add oil to the choc?

I've used the rosemarie with truffle filling, so torino would work too. As for oil, only iof the recipe calls for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics