Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you do to keep from gaining?
1  2  3  Next

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:22 am
I would appreciate any non-grebotz recipes and all diet tips.

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:43 am
Make sure to include plenty of vegetables in your diet. Fresh ones without oily dressings and sauces are best.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:53 am
Thank you. I need breakfast ideas also.

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:55 am
Squishy wrote:
Thank you. I need breakfast ideas also.

egg white omelettes with plenty of vegetables cooked into them.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:28 am
Liba wrote:
egg white omelettes with plenty of vegetables cooked into them.

That is a GREAT idea!!

For lunch I usually have 1/4 fish, 1/2 vegetables, and 1/4rice. What could I substitute for the rice? I rather avoid potatoes and matzoh.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:31 am
Squishy wrote:
That is a GREAT idea!!

For lunch I usually have 1/4 fish, 1/2 vegetables, and 1/4rice. What could I substitute for the rice? I rather avoid potatoes and matzoh.

Quinoa or sweet potatoes. There are also some good crackers out there but they're potato and tapioca based.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:32 am
Don't eat any more than the halachically required amount of matzah. Don't eat any imitation chometz ( if you don't eat gebrokts, that shouldn't be terribly difficult). Most klp food is actually quite good for us, we run into problems mainly from overdoing the matzah and eating treats that we somehow manage not to indulge in too much during the rest of the year but suddenly need to futz around with matzah meal and potato starch to achieve a generally poor imitation of those sweets because how will we ever manage without for a week.

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:34 am
Squishy wrote:
That is a GREAT idea!!

Grated or spiralized zucchini and onions, sauteed.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
Don't eat any more than the halachically required amount of matzah. Don't eat any imitation chometz ( if you don't eat gebrokts, that shouldn't be terribly difficult). Most klp food is actually quite good for us, we run into problems mainly from overdoing the matzah and eating treats that we somehow manage not to indulge in too much during the rest of the year but suddenly need to futz around with matzah meal and potato starch to achieve a generally poor imitation of those sweets because how will we ever manage without for a week.

I end up making candy for the kids which is delicious but dangerous for me. I also bake and somehow the absence of so many foods causes me to eat what I can easily avoid the rest of the year.

Any low cal recipes for cookies would be appreciated.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:52 am
Liba wrote:
Grated or spiralized zucchini and onions, sauteed.

The zucchini and onions sauteed sounds amazing. Do you have more ideas similar to that one?

What can I make for dinners?

I really appreciate your suggestions.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:53 am
Squishy wrote:
I end up making candy for the kids which is delicious but dangerous for me. I also bake and somehow the absence of so many foods causes me to eat what I can easily avoid the rest of the year.

Any low cal recipes for cookies would be appreciated.

Gefen makes these little boxes of cookies that are low cal/fat. IIRC you can eat about 5 small ones for a snack.
You can also make fruit leather with a jar of natural applesauce.
A yogurt is a good snack.
Handful of roasted almonds and a fruit.
Greek cheese snack is a nice YT breakfast with coffee.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:54 am
ra_mom wrote:
Gefen makes these little boxes of cookies that are low cal/fat. IIRC you can eat about 6 small ones for a snack.
You can also make fruit leather with a jar of natural applesauce.
A yogurt is a good snack.
Handful of roasted almonds and a fruit.
Greek cheese snack is a nice YT breakfast with coffee.

Thanks. How do you make fruit leather?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:57 am
Squishy wrote:
Thanks. How do you make fruit leather?

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ather

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:59 am
cottage cheese is also a good snack.

You can cook your spirzalized zucchini in tomato sauce for another flavor option. Smile

What do you normally eat for supper? If you want to keep carbs low then chicken or hamburgers with a nice salad, a baked sweet potato and/or pickled kohlrabi is a good supper.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 11:09 am
Liba wrote:
cottage cheese is also a good snack.

You can cook your spirzalized zucchini in tomato sauce for another flavor option. Smile

What do you normally eat for supper? If you want to keep carbs low then chicken or hamburgers with a nice salad, a baked sweet potato and/or pickled kohlrabi is a good supper.

Do you make your own pickled kohlrabi?

I usually make a different fish for supper. Sometimes I make a chicken dish, but I use a lot of exotic spices that aren't available. Last week I made tuna fish with chickpeas, chicken with whole wheat gnocchi, sumac chicken with cauliflower and carrots. For me to stick to a diet, I seem to need food that is interesting and varied.

My pesach recipes are so boring and fattening.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 11:14 am
Lots of roasted vegetables.
Make a roasted eggplant dip and dip peppers, cucumbers and carrots in.
Lots and lots of fruit and melon.
I like stir fried shredded vegetables rolled in pesach noodles/crepes like egg rolls. They're delicious and travel well.
Guacamole.
Any vegetable latke recipe you see could be made into a kugel to reduce the oil.

During the seudos, stay to meat and vegetables and avoid carbs.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 11:16 am
Iymnok wrote:
Lots of roasted vegetables.
Make a roasted eggplant dip and dip peppers, cucumbers and carrots in.
Lots and lots of fruit and melon.
I like stir fried shredded vegetables rolled in pesach noodles/crepes like egg rolls. They're delicious and travel well.
Guacamole.
Any vegetable latke recipe you see could be made into a kugel to reduce the oil.

During the seudos, stay to meat and vegetables and avoid carbs.

Great ideas.

Would you post your recipe for roasted eggplant please? What do you season it with?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 11:22 am
Squishy wrote:
Do you make your own pickled kohlrabi?

I usually make a different fish for supper. Sometimes I make a chicken dish, but I use a lot of exotic spices that aren't available. Last week I made tuna fish with chickpeas, chicken with whole wheat gnocchi, sumac chicken with cauliflower and carrots. For me to stick to a diet, I seem to need food that is interesting and varied.

My pesach recipes are so boring and fattening.

Don't make pesach recipes.
Use your regular recipes and mix up the spices a bit.
Fresh onion, garlic (or shallots and red onion), olive oil and kosher salt go a looong way in bringing out flavor.
Roasted asparagus, summer squash and tomato saute, tri color baked vegetable fries, colorful roasted vegetables, savory carrot salad, butternut squash fries, parnsip mash, roasted cauliflower, zucchini spaghetti salad, cucumber salad with diet sweetener, roasted gourmet tri color carrots.
Vegetable stuffed capons, grilled chicken, rib steak, baby chicken skewers, dark ground turkey meatballs, pickled chicken roast, veal roast, pan seared tilapia, seared tuna, baked salmon.
Sprinkle crunchy shriveled baked carrot chips over a nice romaine salad with vegetables and sliced grilled chicken.
It might help for you to write your restrictions here so we know what you have to work with and what to suggest.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 11:25 am
I gain weight from the cakes, and anything with potato starch.

I will avoid them this year, and go heavy on the fruits, veggies, proteins. Heaviest on the veggies- they are best for keeping my weight in line.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 11:29 am
Unless you know that fat is a problem for you personally, don't completely avoid oil. Olive oil and fresh-squeezed lemon juice are much healthier than any commercial salad dressing, most of which have tons of added sugar. Fat should help keep you full longer.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics