Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Warning on basket

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:49 pm
I bought some baskets to put it kids rooms for books. I noticed the tag said their is a warning form the state of California that it can cause harmful stuff. I've seen this waning on a panninni maker so I threw that out cuz it was with food. But I was wondering should I return these baskets? WWYD?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 1:04 pm
Proposition 65 requires labeling all kinds of products containing certain ingredients as known in California to cause cancer. But there's no evidence that the levels that require labeling are actually dangerous.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 1:46 pm
What cerulean said. They've established safe limits on some of the stuff on their list, but the vast majority don't have. Unless a company is going to pay a private lab to prove that the amount in their products is safe, they have to post a warning if sold in California.

Which means, that if a tiny trace of dye made from a chemical on their list is on the product, they are required to print a warning. You can try calling the manufacturer to see what it is.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:15 pm
I bought them in New York not California

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:38 pm
so the law is for california ... pretty sure they sell products across america

if you want to be extra cautious don't use them ... otherwise everything in the world seems to come with a warning

do research as to what this product contains & if you want that in your environment

ironically people are now replacing smoking with vapor cigarettes ... they are still harmful & I can tell you this based on the smell in the air & the way it feels in my lungs around people who think it's fine

little_mage

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:41 pm
But even if you bought them not in California, the companies don't want to make multiple tags and worry about something being sold in California that doesn't have a tag and getting sued or whatever, so they just put the California compliant tags on all products, because that's the strictest state.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:42 pm
https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov.....l-bpa

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:44 pm
Thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to return them to the store

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:51 pm
yeah, it said that on a yoga ball I bought. I returned it even though my mother insisted it was fine.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:54 pm
I think the problem might be if you decide to take a couple bites out of them. They won't leak dangerous chemicals.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 10:29 am
Parking garages here have that warning. We all ignore it unless it's used with food!

mommy1and3

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
I bought some baskets to put it kids rooms for books. I noticed the tag said their is a warning form the state of California that it can cause harmful stuff. I've seen this waning on a panninni maker so I threw that out cuz it was with food. But I was wondering should I return these baskets? WWYD?

So I was shopping for a new George Foreman grill when I noticed this warning on the box, I called the company to inquire I was told the wiring has a component that could maybe......, I was reassured it doesn't leak into the food and it's totally fine seems like California has very strict guidelines.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics