Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Stuffed cabbage

mother of 2 princess's

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 7:09 pm
every year I make them and I cant seem to get the cabbage soft enough by just putting leaves in hot water and then the cabbage breaks and you dont have a whole peice.
can anyone help me what cabbage is best to use and how to make it soft to roll the leaves

mommy2

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 7:26 pm
I was going to make them, my sister warned me they take forever... so I'm not going to bother! Sorry no tips for you.

sarahd

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 7:31 pm
Do you cut off the spine on the back of the leaves?

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 7:33 pm
U could first freeze them as opposed to boiling it and then do as sarahd said Wink

motheroftwo

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 9:50 pm
if you do freeze them, make sure they are completely thawed before using otherwise they will crack. Been there done that.

lucky

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 11:53 pm
Make sure to check each leaf for worms. They are usually tiny greenish flies.

chavamom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 12:02 am
freilich wrote:
U could first freeze them as opposed to boiling it and then do as sarahd said Wink

Yup, freeze them for over 48 hours, let them thaw completely (I do it overnight in the sink) and they will be perfectly wilted.

Yudit

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 6:29 pm
whats the best way to make stuffed cabbage.Freeze the cabbage or boil the cabbage

anon

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 6:32 pm
Freezing is obviously easier, but you have to think to buy the cabbage and freeze it a couple of days before you plan on making it.

I don't know what tastes better, but I doubt there's difference.

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 18 2007, 6:36 pm
I froze mine for a at least 2 days. But I have a trick and u know what it works great, Tie them up with string, and remove it after its cooked and no one is the wiser, and you have perfect stuffed cabbage that stays stuffed!

Mommish

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 8:39 pm
Too bad I didn't read this thread earlier! I froze mine just overnight, and let it defrost almost all day, but its still almost frozen. What should I do? Cook it tomorrow? The only problem is I don't want to keep the chopped meat in the fridge another day. My recipe says to pour boiling water over the cabbage and let it steam in the pot for 15 min. Is there any halachic problem with doing that (in terms of not checking the leaves first?)

AB

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 3:16 pm
I freeze the cabbage. I buy it whenever I see a nice size one at a good price. It takes a very long time to defrost - about 12 hours on the counter (in a bowl, as there will be a lot of water). then cut the core and separate the leaves carefully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus