Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Business Idea - No or Go?
Previous  1  2

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:02 am
I think what you're really selling is your design aesthetic. Most of us are probably computer-literate enough print a label with a cute graphic and "To:" and "From:" However, these will probably look like we were computer-literate enough to . . . In other words, adequate but no "wow" factor.

Don't discount the custom market, though. My DD charged $50 for customized Purim labels this year and had 3 or 4 takers. She created really beautiful artwork that matched the theme, etc. She didn't even print the labels herself -- she just did the artwork. Even though the market is obviously very small, you'd have to sell a lot of standardized labels to make $200.

Another idea to explore is what I would call the "customizable" market. You offer a range of designs, but customers can choose to insert a monogram or some other graphic of their choice. You could also allow people to choose the colorway. In other words, you allow certain pieces of the design to be changed without requiring you to start from scratch on each new version.

I don't have a single artistic bone in my body, so I am always shocked by stuff my DD comes up with, and then I'm shocked again by how much people are willing to pay for it. Feel free to PM me about other projects she's done along these lines. Or if you know a boy for her. Either way, I'm good! Smile

imeinu

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:17 pm
One of the biggest mistakes people make going into business is thinking that their "edge" over everyone else will be their low prices dues to low overhead. This is a fallacy. It may work in the short term right when you start, but if there is a demand then as soon as you do you will find you have competition from ppl who CAN and WILL undercut you.
As others have said ETSY is a great place to start. Start small and Best of Luck!
(P.S. from my experience ETSY customers are not looking for the cheapest price so don't charge too little! Often many items on ETSY can be found for a fraction of the price on ebay or amazon. Just 'Sayin)

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:21 pm
I'm pretty sure I saw at least one person advertise custom labels in Lakewood, if not more than one

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:35 pm
Fox wrote:
... Or if you know a boy for her. Either way, I'm good! Smile

I agree with what you said ...

gotta love your plug-in line 😍

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 8:25 am
Quote:
Another idea to explore is what I would call the "customizable" market. You offer a range of designs, but customers can choose to insert a monogram or some other graphic of their choice. You could also allow people to choose the colorway. In other words, you allow certain pieces of the design to be changed without requiring you to start from scratch on each new version

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I saw at least one person advertise custom labels in Lakewood, if not more than one

Again, I'm not offering custom labels. I'm offering pre-designed labels with a variety of papers and colors.

Not sure if this was clear, I'm not looking for a full time job or to make a lot of money. My husband bh is supporting our family very well, I have a part time job now as an outlet. I enjoy expressing myself through creative graphics.

I am looking to do these labels as I feel there is a lack in the market when it comes to pre-made labels. It could be I'm wrong. Maybe there are options out there. And maybe most people aren't interested in this kind of work.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. You really helped me out here. I'm going to start by making a few sample designs and will open an Instagram account showcasing them. I will look in to Etsy as a possibility.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 8:25 am
imeinu wrote:
One of the biggest mistakes people make going into business is thinking that their "edge" over everyone else will be their low prices dues to low overhead. This is a fallacy. It may work in the short term right when you start, but if there is a demand then as soon as you do you will find you have competition from ppl who CAN and WILL undercut you.
As others have said ETSY is a great place to start. Start small and Best of Luck!
(P.S. from my experience ETSY customers are not looking for the cheapest price so don't charge too little! Often many items on ETSY can be found for a fraction of the price on ebay or amazon. Just 'Sayin)

Thanks for info regarding pricing. After thinking it through, it does make a lot of sense. I will probably charge a bit more then I originally planned.

I will look in to Etsy and see what selling on there entails.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 29 2017, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 8:26 am
Fox wrote:
I don't have a single artistic bone in my body, so I am always shocked by stuff my DD comes up with, and then I'm shocked again by how much people are willing to pay for it. Feel free to PM me about other projects she's done along these lines. Or if you know a boy for her. Either way, I'm good! Smile

You sound like my mother here. She loves looking over my shoulder while I work and gets a real kick out of seeing my advertisements in national newspapers. Who knows, maybe your daughter and I will end up collaborating one day.
Thanks for all your help here. And maybe I know a boy for her, ya never know...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics