Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
ISO weight-loss advice

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 11:08 pm
I'm very overweight due to medications I've taken for years (and due to giving up on diet and exercise because I was gaining weight no matter what I did). I'm finally able to take minimal doses and therefore my doctor believes I can start seeing results with diet and exercise. I'm very excited to start the process of getting my body back!

A few questions... I'd like to ask anyone with experience/knowledge to please share:

1. I'm much older now than when I started the meds (I'm in my early 30s now). Prior to starting the meds I lost weight very easily, but I was in my late teens then. How much harder is it to lose weight in your 30s?

2. I'm hoping to have more children. Is it safe to diet and exercise and try to lose weight while also TTC or pregnant? (Obviously I will follow up with my doctor if/when it happens, but I'm asking for general info here.)

3. What target weight should I aim for? I'm 5'6" and currently weigh 220 lbs. I've never maintained a weight long term (I've been both significantly over- and underweight at different times), but I felt the healthiest when I weighed around 135 lbs. (Granted, I was in my very early 20's then) I wonder if 135 is on the low side for my body type, age and height? It's important to me to have a goal I'm happy with, as motivation. Should I shoot for something more "realistic" like 150? 170? For those of you who have lost significant amounts of weight - was it more helpful to have smaller goals and then revising the goal when you got there? Or one larger goal to work towards?

Thanks so much!

chulentalakiddush

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:23 am
hey, I just want to wish you good luck on this journey. It's so tough. I''m also in my thirties and wasn't able to loose on my own. I've been on weight watchers since November and have lost 15lbs. It's been slow but it's steady and I feel like it is a really manageable program with a frum lifestyle. They offer a lot of support online and at meetings which has been really helpful for me.
Loosing weight before you get pregnant will certainly help you once you are expecting and I would imagine (Though I don't know for sure) that you'd be able to make certain modifications while pregnant and still stay on a diet program.
As for your goal weight, I recommend taking it one step at a time.
good luck and feel free to pm me!

miami85

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:44 am
I would recommend the Trim You spray, I did it and had amazing and quick results. I have a friend doing it now too who's in a similar situation as you. Its tough, but the results are quick and self-motivating. I did it too and got pregnant soon after stopping.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:23 pm
It is safe to lose weight while TTC or even pregnant. It's good to be healthy for the baby. You can definitely eat way fewer calories from the right foods and be getting enough nutrition. 140-145 should be a realistic goal if you're not pregnant. It's really important to keep your motivation up and not give up even if it takes time.

A lot of the plans out there like Medifast have good kosher options and have worked for a ton of people. For me personally I just buy my own products at the supermarket and watch calories - whole grains, lots of veggies, low fat dairy, lean proteins, healthy fats like avocado and nuts.

Also some exercise a few days each week.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise