Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New Jersey

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:10 pm
My husband has a possible job opportunity in NY and we're interested in the NJ area to live. Preferably a small town/ Midwest feel, (more if a suburb feel as apposed to a city atmosphere) and middle of the road Jewish community. Where it's non judgmental, etc.. for example I don't always wear tights, sometime ankle socks, we watch TV shows, but we keep shabbos, kosher, tznius fully.

Somewhere with a lot of parks for kids, near by shopping, and an eiruv. I know nothing about NJ so any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:13 pm
Definitely check into edison!

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:14 pm
Here are some communities to check out:

Highland Park/Edison
Passaic/Clifton
Bergenfield* (part of the larger Teaneck area, not sure if that would be too overwhelming for you)
Hillside

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:41 pm
Don't rule out Teaneck, you never know
Also Fair lawn and Elizabeth.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:44 pm
Wow! Thanks so much for the fast responses!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:32 pm
I second Elizabeth

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:46 pm
Is Elizabeth more MO or more JPF type?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 4:02 pm
If I knew for sure that I knew the difference between 'modern orthodox' and 'just plain frum', I would try to define it that way, but I don't know the nuances of what these mean to other people.

Elizabeth calls itself a 'modern torah community'. All the jews are orthodox, but it runs the spectrum of orthodox from women in pants with no hair covering to women with stockings and sheitels. I would say that in recent years, it is slightly more leaning to the right end of the spectrum, but this is only a lean. Everyone is part of the same community, and the community is quite cohesive, and almost all the kids go to the same orthodox elementary school in town. The community is several hundred Jewish families, but Elizabeth is the 4th largest city in NJ so you have a lot of stuff right there in town.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 4:12 pm
Elizabeth is a city, but the parts where the Jews live have a very suburby feel to it.
Elizabeth and Hillside each have shabbos parks, besides the county park which is nice for Sunday biking etc. As for shopping, there is a reason that the Jersey Gardens Mall is always full of Brooklyn frummies!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 4:52 pm
Thank you!! I'm loving the info! Keep it coming! 😁

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:
If I knew for sure that I knew the difference between 'modern orthodox' and 'just plain frum', I would try to define it that way, but I don't know the nuances of what these mean to other people.

Elizabeth calls itself a 'modern torah community'. All the jews are orthodox, but it runs the spectrum of orthodox from women in pants with no hair covering to women with stockings and sheitels. I would say that in recent years, it is slightly more leaning to the right end of the spectrum, but this is only a lean. Everyone is part of the same community, and the community is quite cohesive, and almost all the kids go to the same orthodox elementary school in town. The community is several hundred Jewish families, but Elizabeth is the 4th largest city in NJ so you have a lot of stuff right there in town.

Thanks so much!

Which elementary school is that?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 11:12 am
The orthodox elementary school in Elizabeth is called the JEC (Jewish Educational Center). There is also the boys' middle school / highschool - RTMA and the girls' middles school high school - Bruriah. Bruriah Highschool gets girls from all over NJ and NY, and even farther sometimes, and it is a very good school.

egam

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 11:24 am
You might also want to look into Springfield or Linden.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 11:32 am
in Linden she would be one of the most right wing people, don't know if that's her preference or not.

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 12:12 pm
None of the places mentioned are midwest-like by any stretch of the imagination or I. Wiuld move there

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 12:32 pm
There is no place in NJ that is like the midwest. There's a reason why NJ isn't considered 'out of town'. . . But, as the OP was also looking for, most of the Jewish communities in NJ are suburban, though not every place has a small-town feel.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:56 pm
yeah I moved from NJ to the midwest for a reason... but sounds like she wants to live in NJ and trying to figure out what would be the best option.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 5:59 pm
Definitely check out Springfield. I actually often describe it as the closest to living out-of-town while living in NJ. There's only one shul, so everyone davens together, and people of all types get along well. It's truly a beautiful community, and the rabbi, Rabbi Marcus, is incredible...

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 4:21 pm
Anyone have any info on the following shuls:

-Congregation ohr Torah
-Congregation Ahava achim
-Ahavas yisroel of Edison

Looking to see what the communities are like, style of people/services, etc

Thanks!!

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 4:36 pm
Fairlawn and Highland Park sound like reasonable fits that are worth looking into further.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating