Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone have info on Elkins Park, PA?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:51 pm
Looking into the community and looking for some basic info.

1. How suburban is it? Would it be a major change for families accustomed to city living or is it more of a crossover suburb/city type lifestyle?

2. How social is it? Do the kids have plenty of neighbors and friends to play with?

3. Hashkafos?

Thank you.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:
Looking into the community and looking for some basic info.

1. How suburban is it? Would it be a major change for families accustomed to city living or is it more of a crossover suburb/city type lifestyle?

2. How social is it? Do the kids have plenty of neighbors and friends to play with?

3. Hashkafos?

Thank you.

Haven't lived there in a loooooooooooong time. In fact, I didn't know it still had a significant Jewish population. It was the mecca for Conservative/secular Jews in the 50s and 60s. There are still a large number of Conservative and Reform synagogues lining Old York Road -- Beth Shalom, AJ, KI. I think Rodeph Shalom closed, but I could be wrong. CMBI, in Melrose Park, which was "conservadox," definitely did. I don't know how many people still attend the remaining synagogues. But the only Orthodox religious institution I could think of is the Greek Orthodox Church.

Anyway, Elkins Park is just outside Philadelphia, so its more urban/suburban. Detached homes but still close to city life. Most construction probably vintage early 60s.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
Haven't lived there in a loooooooooooong time. In fact, I didn't know it still had a significant Jewish population. It was the mecca for Conservative/secular Jews in the 50s and 60s. There are still a large number of Conservative and Reform synagogues lining Old York Road -- Beth Shalom, AJ, KI. I think Rodeph Shalom closed, but I could be wrong. CMBI, in Melrose Park, which was "conservadox," definitely did. I don't know how many people still attend the remaining synagogues. But the only Orthodox religious institution I could think of is the Greek Orthodox Church.

Anyway, Elkins Park is just outside Philadelphia, so its more urban/suburban. Detached homes but still close to city life. Most construction probably vintage early 60s.

Thanks!

Its part of the OU Community Fair and marketing itself as a pretty right wing crowd. I guess things changed recently. Would love to hear from anyone with updated info.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:57 pm
http://www.yiep.org

Looks nice, but would love firsthand feedback about the community

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:03 pm
I live nearby. Definitely has a frum crowd, but not so big. Welcoming shul for all backgrounds. Very pretty area, lots of grass and parks. Families I know are very nice. Kids go to school in northeast Philadelphia.
I would contact them through the site and go for a shabbos.
Eta: not city like at all. There are kids, but depending on ages it can be a small social group. Different ages/grades definitely get together.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:58 pm
We are also considering moving to Elkins park. We visited on a Sunday and saw a number of houses. The houses we looked at were within half a mile from the Young Israel and all had at least 4 bedrooms. Prices started in the 200's.
We decided that we will go for a Shabbat to get a better feel for the neighborhood. I will update thred, G-d willing, after we do.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 4:28 pm
BUMP

how was your Shabbos, Navy amother?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 5:35 pm
We couldn't get there before pesach. We will try to go asap. Sorry no update.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating